Anybody still want to hike in Arizona??

naughtoj

Cathlete
Topic came up awhile back. Wondering how your knee is Rhonda....Anyone want to go still??

I am soooo bored. Trying to find absolutely anything that will reignite my exercise fire.:)

Help!x(

Can you pick up AZ and move it a tad closer to Wisconsin (I'd be there!!)????

I've had severe tooth pain for the past 8 days and this is the longest I've been without working out. Now here's the question and I know you understand this Janice. Which workout do you start back with...as intensity minded as we are...I'm tempted to do a P90X upperbody and then S&H lower body and then an interval cardio in the evening because if I don't somebody (body part) is gonna feel left out. x( x( x( . I HATE TRYING TO "GET BACK INTO THE SWING OF THINGS".

A good hike sounds heavenly!!!

Briee

Oh, I don't know, Briee...you are asking the WRONG person.

The old Janice has been MIA for a LONG time. :-( I just don't know where the old me went and how to get me back! LOL!! I don't if my life is just so much in transition now that I can no longer focus or what! I swear I am mid life crisising early.:)

I am turning into one of those poeple that just orders videos for motivation and then never does them!! That is why I think I need to "get out". I am really eager to enter back into the "student" mode and meet new people in nursing school. I am also way looking forward to taking some group fitness classes at the college. I just feel like I need a huge change, you know? Except that is what I am resisting now as well. It is sooo messed up. Just don't know where my passion for life went. Hmmm.

But, on a lighter note, it was nice to hear from you and I am so sorry to hear about your tooth. Although it really sickened me to her 8 weeks. For me it is more like 8 months. I even sold the new series of Cathe's. Told ya, mid-life crisis insanity!!!:)

I ordered Power 90 Briee. My sis has em. This week I will be pushing hard to do that. P90X would kill me, but either S&H or p90x would be fine for you! You are one tough mama, remember? :)

Take care,

Pick me! Pick me! I want to go hiking in Arizona! I bet it's not snowing there. And I have a sister there. And I've been hiking there before in the Chiricajua's - or whatever that mountain range was - and in the Grand Canyon. AND...I better go lie down, you got me all excited.

Trish

Janice,
If I was still there I would hike with you. I spent quite a few years growing up in the Phoenix area(second longest place I have lived). We used to go camping and climbing. I have nothing to do now so it would be a welcome relief. I saw the thread where you were talking about a hike. I could see the desert and one of those mesa's and thought that sounds fun. Right now I need someone to light a match under me to wake me up or something. My goal is next week I will be back to normal :) At least that is the plan. Hmm
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

When my husband and I retire, we will move to AZ. I will hike with you then! You will just have to wait a few decades..... But better late than never, eh?:+

It's likely my husband will be getting a job transfer out there. We have been looking at houses in Scottsdale. Maybe I will take you up on that in the Fall if that's where I end up. I would love to hike. I think when I was in college I attempted a mile up Pinnacle Peak (Is that the right name?). It was tough but fun. I was really out of breath. I would love to give it a go again.

Janice:

you sound troubled and trying to make light of it. I hope you are OK. My life is like yours. Up and down and all over the place. So much emotional upset currently, trying to keep it ll together and not lose myself in the process. Trying hard to work out what I want and if I'm foing the right things. I've decided to go for it anyway and at least do something. I can't put off life and the future forever. If it turns out not to be the right thing, well at least I will have achieved something and can then review from there. But the indecision and procrastination are hurting me and my family too much so I am just following a plan I set for myself to see it through to fruition.

Why did you sell your hardcores? Oh Janice!....... Rash and impetuous girl!!!! Don't make any more rash decisions for a while, OK?

Exercise is probably one of the only things keeping me going right now. But I know how you feel. In a rut, need something new, different, a breath of fresh air.

I would hike with you if I could. There's nothing I crave more than getting outside, sunlight and fresh air. I can't make it from Michigan! Sorry....

Are there students at the college you could hike with? Are there any outdoor adventure/orienteering clubs you could get into and find like minds to hike with? Among aall the students on a campus, there has to be a certain perentage that craves the outdoors as you do. Just gotta find them and latch on. Give it a go. Send out mass emails to various departments to drum up enthusiasm if you have to. here at the U of M, people send out mass emails for much less important things like "sublet" or "selling a couch", drives me mad. I'd far rather read of peoploe trying to drum up hiking partners!

It's hard to find the passion for life sometimes when you are feeling all turned upside down and don't know whether to move or not, grab something or back away from it. I do know how you feel. But you know, sometimes the passion comes back from beginning to do the thing, whatever the thing is. It can reach a stage where thinking about it and putting it off further becomes poisonous and leads to an endless cycle of procrastination and I know, I've been in one for the last 3 years.

I am now going to just try doing it and I know that small successes with feed the passion and produce larger successses and my zest for life and hope for a future different from the last 3 years of my life.

I'm with you Janice every step of the way, and thinking of you.

Hugs,

Clare

Hey Janice! Can you hang on for a few more weeks?? Family and I will be there soon. We move the first week in July, and after the cold kinda nasty spring here on the east coast I cannot wait. I did go visit in April and really was suprised how much I really love the area(I have never been there before). My dh is working in Gilbert and we found a house in Chandler. We hiked on South Mountain when I was there in April and had a wonderful time. Hiking is an altogether different sport and I woke up pretty sore in the knees the next day. I think better shoes would probably help. Anyway, even though we don't really "know" each other I would love a hiking pal...anyway, I'll check back here with you now and again and perhaps we can get together sometime. Take Care,
Donna

ps. I know what you mean about fitness boredom....I'm actually thinking of taking a martial arts class when we get to Arizona...been checking out lots of studios....perhaps aikido??

WOW!!! Why would you move here in the hottest part of the season? I bet you won't be seen out of your airconditioned house until December whent it cools down to 70 degrees at NIGHT!

~Reece Out~

Have you ever been to VA in the summer??? Maybe not as hot but the humdity(sp?) is HORRIBLE. I am looking FORWARD to a summer with no tropical wet yuckies. And yeah, I know the humidity goes up out there in the summer too....but in Va we are talking 99%. So sticky it is even hard to breathe outside. And besides that I have two kids, and I really wanted them to finish out the school year. They are less than thrilled about the whole thing... And I have been soooo cold since I got back from my week out there, I don't care how hot it is, I am tired of sweatshirts and blue fingers!! Take care, Donna

Hi Janice!

Oh girl, I would love to go hiking so bad I can taste it. However, I am still not even walking yet! Yes, I am in the 6th week of this injury. I have been to the Dr. 2x, 3 full weeks of physical therapy and guess what? The knee got worse on my second to last visit at P.T.. The therapist was bending my knee back trying to get a better range of motion out of it and from that moment on, it worsened.

Long story short, I finally got into an Orthopedic surgeon last week and it turns out that I had a torn quadricep as well as the knee injury. When the therapist bent my leg back, it tore the muscle further causing more pain and swelling. Now I am playing the "hurry up and wait some more" game with my fricken insurance company to get an MRI scheduled. Depending on how bad the tear is will determine whether or not surgery will be required. I am thinking I will need surgery since this injury is going into it's 6th week with no improvement. I had to go on short term disability at work because I cannot be on my leg for more than 5 mins. before pain and swelling start in.

I am sorry you are feeling like you are going through early mid-life crisis. I have been feeling like that too these past couple of years. I will be 40 in July (YIKES!!!) and even though it is only a number, I am having a hard time coming to terms with it.

I too am losing interest in things I normally love and just have a difficult time feeling pure joy at all anymore. I talked to my Dr. and she said this is common for people "my age". She said hormones are changing which causes alot of emotional ups and downs and depression. She knows I don't like to take meds so she had me try St. John's wort. I was on it for awhile and it seemed to be helping. Of course I had to quit taking it in case I need surgery, you have to be off of the herb for 2 weeks prior. I definitely notice the depression has returned, but that could be because of my current health issue.

Talk to your Doc and see what he/she suggests. If you go the St. John's route, go to an herbalist who knows what they are doing. They will custom make the dosage that is best for you and your symptoms. It might be worth a try.

Big Hugs--
Rhonda

Maybe we should all synchronize our watches, and go on a "group hike" at the same time. I can't make it to AZ, but spring is popping up all over here in PA. This Friday we hope to go on our annual Redbud drive through central part of the state to see this beautiful little tree in bloom.

Briee:

I am right there with you on that toothache thing. I developed a serious toothache last weekend. It was bad on Saturday, then got excruciatingly worse on Sunday night. A trip to the dentist, and one to an endodontist proved that I needed my very first root canal. Yippee!!! I've had nothing but problems with this tooth since I was younger, so hopefully now that I've got the first half of the root canal done (did it last Thursday p.m.), I will finally see an end to all the problems. Nevertheless, I was sidelined from exercising all last week, but I finally felt well enough to do Lowmax again this morning.

Regarding hiking in AZ: Would love it if I can ever find the time!!! My husband will come along, too! If he had his way, we'd move to AZ!

Good to hear from you all! Well, I am around whenever anyone wants to go...just shoot me an email!!

Clare...thank you for your thoughts. I really do relate to you. I am keeping my chin up for now. I got some encouraging news today...that I will be able to go PT at my current job when I start nursing school. That alone relieved a lot of my anxiety over not being able to pay my bills thru school. Now, nursing school just has to work out for me, but like you say, gotta try something!:) We'll see, July 8th..
Sorry about sellin' the Hardcores, but I gotta be honest, they did very little for me. Just wasn't feelin' it this time around. But, I have all the others on standby!:)

Rhonda..I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with your knee and now quad! What a pain! I can certainly understand feeling a little depressed over that! Rest up and we will be on the mountain before you know it! St Johns Wort is an idea but I would be afraid I'd get pg...on the pill and all.....

Ok, well, better wait a bit to hike. By the time you all are "ready", either in person or spirit, I will be ready physically! Power 90 tomorrow AM, I PROMISE!!

Janice,
Congrats on nursing school!! That's fantastic! You will do just great. I went back to school to get a degree in Interior Design and had to work at the same time. It took me longer than most because I couldn't go to school full time, but it was so worth it! I love my profession and the work that I do.

I finally got my MRI scheduled for this Thursday so I can finally have some answers. We will probably have to schedule our hiking trip for the fall after recovery and the heat of the summer. I will probably have to give up hiking the "black slopes" and do the "bunny slopes instead"....if that works for you ;-)

Congrats again on nursing school. I'll be thinking about you on July 8th.

Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.