Alternative to protein drink?

Shaz

Cathlete
I am very interested in trying the diet ("to look like a fitness competitor") outlined in Muscle and Fitness Hers' website - this was suggested by a poster on another thread. However, I have IBS, and protein drinks/bars give me stomach problems. I also have a problem with milk, so I'm not surprised that I can't have whey protein. But, I even have a problem with lactose-free whey and also soya protein drinks (which I don't understand because I have soya in other forms). I've also tried caesin(sp?) protein but still I get stomach cramps and bloating...

Anyway, can anyone suggest an alternative? I know I could just eat chicken or something, but I'm looking for something that I can keep in my bag or in my desk at work to give me a protein snack when needed. Also, when I'm eating meat/fish at breakfast, lunch and dinner, I find it hard to face any more meat at the other 2 meals!

Any suggestions? I really want to get my protein intake up.

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

Hi Aila,

I've never heard of that in the UK, but will look into it - thanks for the suggestion. Do they contain carbs or fat?

Sharon

Sharon --

I, too, have all kinds of problems with some protein drinks/bars and cannot have milk or even lactose-free products. I honestly don't understand what the exact culprit is because I have actually found a couple of drinks/bars that I have no problems digesting. Perhaps it is some other ingredient. It sounds like you have a similar problem so I'll tell you the ones I've found that don't cause me a problem:

1. Ultra Pure Protein Shake (banana)
-- a ready-to-drink shake from Worldwide Sport Supplements
-- I limit myself to 1 per day to reduce possible stomach upset
-- I use this instead of milk with cereal (Yum!)

2. Tri-o-plex Bars (cinnamon raisin or cookie dough)
-- I can't tolerate the peanut-butter chocolate chip anymore (they changed the recipe and now it hurts my stomach)
-- I limit myself to 1 to 2 per day

3. Lean Dessert Protein (cinnamon roll) (www.bsnonline.net)
-- a protein powder that mixes GREAT...much better than anything else I've tried!
-- I put this in instant oatmeal at work

4. Lean Body For Her (labrada nutrition)
-- another protein powder I use for smoothies

Other protein suggestions for work: tuna snack packs

Good luck!
Shonie

Hi,

Are you mixing your soya protein drink with Cow's milk?
Maybe try to mix it with Rice milk or soy milk. My son is allergic to all dairy products and he has been drinking rice milk sense he was 2 years old. He is now ten. It is equivalent to skim milk but whey, caesin, and lactose free.

Just a thought.

Elaine

Hi Elaine, no I would never have any kind of cow's milk anymore as I have had quite severe and painful problems in the past. I tend to use soya milk, eg on cereal. I don't like rice milk though.

Thanks,
Sharon

Shonie, thanks for your list, I'll give these a go.

It does sound like we have a similar problem - it's frustrating not knowing exactly what causes it.

Sharon

Edited to add: I've never heard of a tuna snack pack! There are so many foods that are just not available in the UK!

Sharon,
Egg whites are the best since they have such an awesome amino acid profile. Tuna is good too although it has got to be mixed with something since it's quite dry...
Also poultry like chicken and turkey.
I see Flextoid is working, um, hard, for her protein. Think my jaw hit the floor when I saw that.
T. :)

I have had to quit drinking skim milk, my Revival soy and my whey protein. (health issues that just came up) Leaves it kinda hard to find protein supplements.
I have to admit I did not consider Flextoid's idea although my husband liked the thought!:p

I usually eat cottage cheese, eggs and lean meat. I also drink Silk soy milk.

Kim

Cottage cheese!!!! How could I forget that? Awesome source of protein. I mix it with yogurt.
T. :)

Where I live you can also buy almond milk and hazelnut milk. There is also protein powder made from hemp seeds, rice protein for vegans, etc. Lots of choices.

I can't eat cottage cheese (or any cheese) because of the milk intolerance. Thanks though for all of the input everybody.

Sharon

GNC has these protein bars that have 16g of protein in each, the S'mores flavored ones almost taste like candy. They sell for about a dollar, with a snickers bar running 75 cents that's really not a bad price.

My son is 16 5'11'' weighs about 120lbs soaking wet. He eats 2 of the bars a day. He's weightlifting and studying karate and must burn about a zillion calories a day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.