71 day bf% reduction- What do you think?

lcsavik_85

Cathlete
I came across this article at bodybuilding.com while I was searching for "Cutting" information.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south9.htm
This would be the eating cycle for my specifications. I'd like imput on the other information as well.

Macronutrient Cycle FOR ME
Using the percentages on the article.
Notice: Each number below is your grams per MEAL. You should consume 6 meals per day containing the protein, carbs, and fat grams listed below.

Period #1 BodyFat Reduction Cycle

Daily Calories: 2175 Calories.

Each Number Is Grams Per MEAL With 6 Meals Per Day

Macronutrient Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8 Day 9 Day 10 Day 11
Protein 26 26 34 44 22 22 26 26 26 34 44
Carbohydrates 48 48 29 23 61 61 48 48 48 29 23
Fat 7 7 11 11 5 5 7 7 7 11 11

Period #2 BodyFat Reduction Cycle
Daily Calories: 1875 Calories.

Macronutrient Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8 Day 9 Day 10 Day 11
Protein 19 19 23 23 23 30 38 19 19 23 23
Carbohydrates 52 52 41 41 41 25 20 52 52 41 41
Fat 4 4 6 6 6 9 9 4 4 6 6

Period #3 BodyFat Reduction Cycle
Daily Calories: 1575 Calories.

Protein 19 19 19 25 32 16 16 19 19 19 25
Carbohydrates 34 34 34 21 16 44 44 34 34 34 21
Fat 5 8 8 4 4 5 5 5 8 8 4

Period #4 BodyFat Reduction Cycle
Daily Calories: 1275 Calories.

Protein 26 13 13 15 15 15 20 26 13 13 15
Carbohydrates 13 36 36 28 28 28 17 13 36 36 28
Fat 3 4 4 4 6 6 3 3 4 4 4

Period #5 BodyFat Reduction Cycle
Daily Calories: 975 Calories.

Protein 12 12 15 20 10 10 12 12 12 15 20
Carbohydrates 21 21 13 10 27 27 21 21 21 13 10
Fat 5 5 2 2 3 3 3 5 5 2 2

Period #6 BodyFat Reduction Cycle
Daily Calories: 675 Calories.

Protein 7 7 8 8 8 11 14 7 7 8 8
Carbohydrates 19 19 15 15 15 9 7 19 19 15 15
Fat 2 2 2 3 3 2 2 2 2 2 3

Notice: Each number below is your grams per MEAL. You should consume 6 meals per day containing the protein, carbs, and fat grams listed below.

Periods 4-6 seem quite low in calories to me. 5 and 6 are quite drastic. I don't think I can thrive on less than 1000 calories a day. I usually eat between 1800-2200 calories. The harder I hit the weights, the more I eat (reasonable portions, of course).

Yeah, I've been browsing the diet pages of fitness competitors on the same website. Quite shocking to see what they eat a few weeks before competition, usually quality protein but very low in calories, hardly any carbs, no fat. There's no way I can function eating that way. I'll be going around like a zombie.:)

Pinky

I figured I would alter those last weeks a bit. It would be nice to see what I'd look like but I'm more concerned about if its good for me or not. I don't want to be ripped, just lower my bf% a bit.

~Reece Out~

Reece, check out this link:
http://www.weightlossforgood.co.uk/basal_metabolic_rate.htm

It also has a BMR calculator to help you figure out how many calories you need per day just to stay alive. I just want to add that BMR is different from RMR (resting metabolic rate), which is the number of calories you need per day just to function. (There are calculators for those online, too.) Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I've used several BMR calculators online and all of them give me a figure around 1250 for my weight and height. That means I need even more calories to keep what little muscle gain I've earned in the last two years. Now that I think about it, this is probably why I've been very hungry on a tough Hardcore rotation.

When I'm on my cutting phase, I normally increase my cardio and change the kinds of foods I'm eating, more than purposely decrease the number of calories. I guess when I'm eating so much more greens and cutting most of the starch and all the sugar, that does lower the number of calories I take per day. It's just a more realistic way for me to get to where I want to go, and the results are attainable and easier to maintain. Muscularity and a very low body fat doesn't come naturally to me.

Hope this helps you figure out how you want to go about your cutting phase.:)

Pinky

I agree, period 5 and 6 seem really drastic. I'm not a big believer in these online calculators. I was curious about what my "plan" would look like, so I entered my stats and here's what was calculated! There's no way I would have the energy to get through my day, let alone workout, with the amount of calories recommended in periods 2 through 5, and period 6 has me at a negative!

Alexandra

You entered 97 lbs. as your weight, and 17 % as your bodyfat. This means that:

Your Fat Mass Is: 16 lbs.

Your Lean Mass Is: 81 lbs.

Follow The Guide Below Based On Your Numbers!

Macronutrient Cycle FOR YOU
Using the percentages on the article.

Period #1 BodyFat Reduction Cycle

Daily Calories: 1455 Calories.

Protein 18 18 23 30 15 15 18 18 18 23 30
Carbohydrates 32 32 20 15 41 41 32 32 32 20 15
Fat 5 5 7 7 3 3 5 5 5 7 7

Period #2 BodyFat Reduction Cycle

Daily Calories: 1155 Calories.

Protein 12 12 14 14 14 18 24 12 12 14 14
Carbohydrates 32 32 25 25 25 16 12 32 32 25 25
Fat 3 3 4 4 4 6 6 3 3 4 4

Period #3 BodyFat Reduction Cycle

Daily Calories: 855 Calories.

Protein 10 10 10 13 17 9 9 10 10 10 13
Carbohydrates 19 19 19 12 9 24 24 19 19 19 12
Fat 3 4 4 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 2

Period #4 BodyFat Reduction Cycle

Daily Calories: 555 Calories.

Protein 11 6 6 7 7 7 9 11 6 6 7
Carbohydrates 6 15 15 12 12 12 8 6 15 15 12
Fat 1 2 2 2 3 3 1 1 2 2 2

Period #5 BodyFat Reduction Cycle

Daily Calories: 255 Calories.

Protein 3 3 4 5 3 3 3 3 3 4 5
Carbohydrates 6 6 3 3 7 7 6 6 6 3 3
Fat 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Period #6 BodyFat Reduction Cycle

Daily Calories: -45 Calories.

Protein -0 -0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -0 -0 -1 -1
Carbohydrates -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -0 -1 -1 -1 -1
Fat -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0

Dropping your daily caloric intake below 1200 makes it difficult to meet nutritional requirements and doing so for 11 days is madness, I tell you, madness! The 71% confuses me too. 71% of the x percent you have? Wouldn't you end up with a negative amount of body fat?
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

Hello,

Hmm that diet to me is a bit concerning. If I read it right, it only allows you 2 gs of fat for a couple of weeks or more. That basically would be hard to get even if it's all good fats in with such a small quanity, and you still need that for vitimins, actually right off the top of my head, I can't think of much protien that you could eat, and not get over 2g of fat, at least not by the days end, the only thing I could think of is pure whey power protein shakes for all your protien for those weeks. And I'd have a very hard time recommending that to anyone.

And if you're a normal weight and height person, you really shouldn't drop to 1000 calories a day unless ordered by your doctor. Heck I'm 4 foot 9" and even my daily recommended is 1400 calories or 1200 if I want to diet so a 1000 would actually be too low for me, granted it wouldn't have such sever affects on me compaired to a person who is 5 foot 6 or so. It will lower your body fat, though I'm not sure if you'd be all that healthy afterwards. As some people can take a crash diet, other people crash on a crash diet. As to me that diet looks like a crash diet. Quick fast, with a possibly very bad out come.

Personally I recommend to all my clients that want to lose body fat, is to eat a very well balanced healthy diet. To cut out the bad fat but keep the good fat. To see what their normal calorie intake is for a week before they start the new diet, by writing down everything and recording the calories, protien and fat, in everything they eat. This they now have a basis to work from, one they can if and were, anything triggers them to eat worse then normal, so they can watch out for that on their diet. Next they can figure out how many calories they are eating a day, and then subtract 200 - 300 calories from that amount, it depends on how much they workout and how hard. Then we multiply their new current calorie intake by 60 - 70% depending on how much protien they want over all. Then we multiply the whole value again by 25 - 35% for the carbs, then finally 5% or less for the fat. Now they have how many calories they can have for protein, carbs and fat. And if they want to break it down into grams then they divide the protein and carbs calories by 4, and the fat by 9. And they they can go out and plan their menus as they got all the info and can pick and choose what they want they just need to meet those totals each day, and make sure it's clean healthy food. I know your not my client nor did you hire me, but I'm hoping that gives you a bit of information rather then saying this is what you should do, this is what I set up for people to lose weight and their are many many methods out there. Just I have gotten the best results with the majority this way.

Good luck and do check with your doctor before beginning any diet, especally one that has very low in calories. And remember to always step back and look at the full picture if it sounds too good to be true and has a very short time limit of being able to drop pounds quickly, it is usually too good to be true. The only actually proven method of losing body fat, is dedication and hard work.

Kit

According to the site Pinky posted, my BMI is 23.9 and my BMR is 1506. In fact it also tells me I'm 3 pounds under my ideal wt.
I'm pretty solid and strong. I just would like a more defined look to me. I can see my muscles when I flex. I'd like to not have to flex to see my 4 pack. lol.
I'm glad I received educated opinions on that cutting diet. Some people are smarter in different areas and are lacking in others. This must be an area I am lacking. lol.

Kit- Thank you for that suggestion on journaling my food for a week. That was very helpful.

~Reece Out~

lcsavik_85,

Your welcome, and good luck and don't worry about lacking info about dieting, once you start asking questions and checking things out like you are doing you'll be a pro in no time. I think the hardest part on dieting is going to the store with all the food products and actually knowing which is better to eat. So many say low fat, low this or that. And they are low in one thing and high in something else you don't need. I remember a friend picking up some type of diet dinner and looking at it and commenting. Gee if I get this I'll be trading a death of being fat for a death of salt. As it was low fat, but it has a whole bottle of salt in it. When she said it I couldn't help but laugh, as she was finally actually getting interested in what she was eating and finding out, that the front of the box and what the back of the box say are two different things.

Good luck, take it slow and you'll be droping that fat day by day. And you'll be a lean and well worked machine.

Kit

Thanx Kit,
I've been pretty confused about eating. I did take Health in highschool but it was geared towards the effects of drugs and smoking. So I didn't get basic eating instructions at all. I have no clue what "balanced" is. I just know I feel like horrible when I eat junk food. So junk food along with soda have been cut out of my eating. Also, this past year I only ate about 1-2x a day b/c I would get horrible hiccups or I couldn't keep anything down. That was due to a really bad time in my life (I won't go there). Its only been since Nov. that I've been adding small meals in through out the day. Now I'm up to 5 meals a day and I seem to be "thicker". I just want to be healthy. I don't want to do fad diets, just want to eat right for my body.

~Reece Out~

lcsavik_85,

Yes I also prefer health over fad diets, as they come and go, and usually you don't find out the harmful side affects until its too late. You may want to watch your calories, since your now eating and keeping your motablism going continiously which is a really good thing for energy and being healthy and burning calories. So that 5 times a day is good, and basically for blance is what I described in my previous post about how to lay out a diet. Depending on the person's preferences, I either use that forumla, or I start with the fat first, and how many gs of fat they want to eat a day and build their diet that way, with whatever percentages of carbs and protien they want. Personally I think carbs are just as important as anything else, and I like to keep somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of my calories for carbs, then the rest as protein and then I try to stay around 10 to 15 mgs of fat every day. Then I balance my own diet with the food pyramid, well slightly modified, as I don't eat 6 to 10 servings of bread a day, but I do try to make sure each meal has a carb, a protien, fruit and veggies. I usually try to keep my meals as equal in calories as possible, Most of the time my meals are about 300 calories and my snacks are 100 calories. Which gives me my 1200 for the day.

Balance in my opinion is only balanced if it agrees with the person and gives them what they want. As some people need more fiber then others, and do to the culture there are other considerations, like they can't have this or that. Or they have to eat this or that on a regular basis. So in general I usually tell people to get as much fruit and veggies as possible as both have fiber, eat lean meats, nuts, and hard cheese as protien, and have good carbs, like oatmeal, whole weat bread, or whole grain cereal. And as the the fat, check out what you've eaten and see if you need to add any more, if you do, try to have some raw nuts, or peanut butter, or other things that have good fat in them, like fish.

Basically I try to go to as natural of a food as I can get. As the less processed the easier it is to digest and the more your body gets out of it. I also know that natural food depending on what area you live in can be quite costly, so there might end up having to be a balance of budget along with the balance of food. You already are making great steps toward a very healthy diet and good health by cutting out the junk food, and of course exercising. Now all you really need is to fine tune, and you'll be all set.

Here is one of my favorite links that tells you everything about a certain food, it takes a little bit to get use to this search, but it will tell you about anything you ever wanted to know about the food you eat.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html

I use this a lot when when I try to set up a very balanced diet, where I make sure I get all my minerals and vitamins, and its one of the best I found on the net. Also the one thing I found if your a normal healthy person that doesn't have any medical issues, is to make sure your diet has a ton of variety, don't just eat apples as your fruit because you like them best, add other fruit in and try to mix it with something if you don't care for it. As this will help insure your not only geting a blanced diet, from the main groups of carbs, protien and fat, but a balanced diet in teh way of minerals and vitamins. And no matter what make sure you have enough calicum this is something that can be over looked as stuff with calicum isn't always that healthy, soft cheese for example or ice cream. But by the time you hit 30, you can actually start having a calicum defenicy, and you can actually start weakening your bones a few years after that, and then you'll end up on a bone building medicine that isn't nice to put some of the calicum back in, so you don't break by the time you hit 50-60 years old.

Good luck and if you want any help feel free to ask here, or email me personally. I'd be more then happy to answer a question when I have a spare moment in the day.

Kit

Thanx Kit! Your just Great! Thank you very much for that web site and your thorough explanations. Very helpful.

~Reece Out~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.