Recovery

ashaw

Cathlete
Today was my recovery day and I did Yoga Relax for the second time and really enjoyed it. I followed it up my own foam rolling session.

Night before last my husband and I were watching a Houston Astros baseball game and they were interviewing pitcher Justin Verlander who we happily reacquired before the trade deadline last week (Sorry Mets fans!) and he was asked by the interviewer if his approach to training was different when he was 30 versus now having turned 40 earlier this year. He talked about changing the way he trains, focusing more on recovery, finding different ways to do cardio and running less than he used to. I thought that was so cool to hear a pro athlete talk about recovery as part of his training program because sometimes it seems like those guys just workout for hours on end every single day without much rest.

Many of the top athletes have incorporated more stretching, flexibility, and mobility into their training regimens. As sports science has evolved it is recognized that to maintain peak performance, and reduce the risk of injuries, you can't just go hard out all the time and flexibility and mobility training is important. It's about training smarter, not harder. It also allows them to perform at the top for longer as they don't get as many injuries. So, instead of having to retire from top level sport in their mid 30s, they can keep going into their 40s and retire when they choose rather than being forced out by injury.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.