Foot placement for Bulgarian Split Squats?

Gobias

Cathlete
Cathe or Anyone,

For Bulgarian Split Squats (where you put your back foot on an elevated surface), should the back elevated foot be resting on the ball of your foot or should the elevated back foot be resting on the top of the toes area (requiring good ankle flexibility). I notice the latter is way harder for me, but that Cathe usually always does the former.

I also have a structural injury where one ankle is way more flexible than the other. The more flexible foot makes it easier to do this exercise move when that foot is on the elevated surface.

Thanks!

I've seen it done both ways (Cathe usually does the ball of the foot). I've tried it both ways but have too much arthritis in my feet/ankles for it to be comfortable with the top of the foot - I usually do as Cathe does, but if my foot is too bothered I put the ball of my foot against the edge of the step. I think since the work is primarily in the leg on the floor that it doesn't matter much. Just my thoughts.

I think the height of the step or bench you are using may also be a factor. If the step/bench is quite high, it may be harder to do with the ball of the foot. I usually use a low step height for these as I don't have good hip flexor mobility, and I use the ball of my foot.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.