Follow Progression

Would it be possible to focus on a cast member that is progressing toward Cathe's weights used? Everyone on the DVDs do what Cathe is doing. At least I believe they are; don't know for sure. Maybe as a premix like option. Showing the same person working out during a rotation?

I think if you look closely, not all members are lifting the same weight. I've been lifting with Cathe (well not only lifting) for about 15 years and I started from ground zero, just figuring it out on my own. I slowly increased weight as I could, focusing on what I can do. Now that I've worked with Cathe for so long I just find that her weight helps me determine a starting point for me in a newer workout. For example I tackled STS biceps the other day and right off she has a 40 barbell but I know 35 is best for me until I've done the workout more. In other words, how YOU are feeling is what matters. Lift what you can and if you are aiming to lift as much as Cathe and aren't there yet, just keep working at it. You may find some day you even exceed the weight like I have in many of the workouts.

I think if you look closely, not all members are lifting the same weight. I've been lifting with Cathe (well not only lifting) for about 15 years and I started from ground zero, just figuring it out on my own. I slowly increased weight as I could, focusing on what I can do. Now that I've worked with Cathe for so long I just find that her weight helps me determine a starting point for me in a newer workout. For example I tackled STS biceps the other day and right off she has a 40 barbell but I know 35 is best for me until I've done the workout more. In other words, how YOU are feeling is what matters. Lift what you can and if you are aiming to lift as much as Cathe and aren't there yet, just keep working at it. You may find some day you even exceed the weight like I have in many of the workouts.
Thanks for your reply. What you described is exactly what I do. The point of the question was to ask if there was the posssiblity of a video that would show a realistic journey of a person's progression. To be able to relate to someone on the video that is working toward, not already achieved. No worries. I posted on a couple of Cathe FB groups and evidently I can't explain my thought very well.

I might be getting what your talking about, but not sure. Do you mean like somehow showing one of the cast's progress in one or more areas (like weight loss, muscle tone, increased strength by ability to increase weights, or that type of thing)? I like the idea, as it would be motivational, but I think the cast has to practice so much before filming that they're already ahead of us fitness-wise by the time they start filming. Maybe Cathe could encourage one of them to blog about their progression? I might not be understanding what you're suggesting, but it sounds interesting, so I'm just kind of thinking about it. :)

I remember Cathe saying that they weren’t lifting as much weight in STS 2.0 rehearsals as they were in the filming. I don’t remember where I heard that though. So they did increase weights as they went. A blog would be a good idea. How much weight did they add? over what time frame?

I might be getting what your talking about, but not sure. Do you mean like somehow showing one of the cast's progress in one or more areas (like weight loss, muscle tone, increased strength by ability to increase weights, or that type of thing)? I like the idea, as it would be motivational, but I think the cast has to practice so much before filming that they're already ahead of us fitness-wise by the time they start filming. Maybe Cathe could encourage one of them to blog about their progression? I might not be understanding what you're suggesting, but it sounds interesting, so I'm just kind of thinking about it. :)
You are getting the idea I was thinking about. As I was doing STS one day I thought that my situation was so different from what I was seeing on the screen. My "gym" is pretty cramped. I definitely haven't done my hair or makeup before I work out. I take more breaks because I have to take my microgloves on and off. You get the idea, real life. Evidently the idea of having multiple cast members is so that you can relate to one of them. That idea has been around since recording fitness routines. I thought that I could definitely relate to someone that was more like me. In the Live versions when the camera pans to the class you can see people that are doing all kinds of real people things. Cathe even loses count, forgets things etc. She has stated that Live is Live and they don't rehearse. I thought that a separate option for a DVD or streaming of someone that was more "real-life" would be motivating. Showing someone that added one pound to her previous weight and that it was a great thing. Cathe's role would be to coach the person during the workout. She did that in the 100 rep challenges on XTrain. I would be following the workout rotation along with the person. Not necessarily doing the exact same weight choices but closer.
Thanks for replying.

I remember Cathe saying that they weren’t lifting as much weight in STS 2.0 rehearsals as they were in the filming. I don’t remember where I heard that though. So they did increase weights as they went. A blog would be a good idea. How much weight did they add? over what time frame?
I think they probably do rehearse with lighter weights. Plus from the updates they stated that there is alot of editing going on. I guess they edit it so that it's as close to perfect as possible. Even though Cathe says strength varies from day to day I've only seen a couple of weight changes during the WO. I haven't done all of the workouts though. Maybe a blog would work. I was thinking that doing the rotation with someone more like me would be motivational.

I have actually witnessed and heard Cathe talk about needing to up or lower her weights during workouts. And Jen has demonstrated adjusting her weights using micro-load gloves, so I do see a little bit of progression, but yes, these taped workouts are absolutely rehearsed, multiple times. I personally feel encouraged just by seeing the strain on her cast's faces. I think poor Kristin is really new to the professional filming and I think someone overemphasized "SMILE!" to her while filming, because sometimes she looks like a deer caught in headlights because she's so focused on smiling. (And this is NOT a criticism of her - I think she's amazing and I'd likely be trying too hard to smile, too!)

That said, I'm someone who likes the polished finished products of Cathe's workouts. But as others mentioned, her Live workouts are an actual in-person class atmosphere, and maybe that's more of what you'd prefer to gravitate to. And it seems now she's selling them for download, so you can download any of them and use them anytime in your preferred rotation.

I will say Cathe did a better job of having cast members show various options for difficulty levels in STS 2.0 than I've seen in a lot of her other workouts. All the variations using bands on the wall, floor, weights - and that fabric loop for pushups?? Holy crap - genius! I take advantage of that now frequently.

But it's still not like the old FIRM workouts from the early 2000's that I remember where they'd have one member using no weights, no step, staying low impact, etc. while others did the advanced stuff. I don't frequently see Cathe's cast members demoing strictly beginner moves through an entire workout.

"That said, I'm someone who likes the polished finished products of Cathe's workouts."

Kellyro77, I am too. There are many live workouts as well as YouTube ones if someone wants that. For purchasing, though, I have to have a polished and professional product. I don't mind going to the gym and attending a class, where everything's not perfect, but I'm only participating in that class one time. Next time I go, it's a different class. For purchased products, though, I use them over and over and over. So, I need it to be above and beyond the ordinary. I probably sound like a perfectionist, but I'm really not. I don't mind flaws. I just don't want to view the same ones over and over. That said, I do enjoy Cathe's little funny comments. One of her older videos (might be one of her beginner ab workouts) says to squeeze the stability ball between your legs really hard, like you're going to pop it. She then reassures us that the ball won't actually pop. I have no idea why, but it makes me laugh every time, causing my abs to tremble while I'm trying to work out. lol

I've heard her mention changing weights too. Her and the crew talk briefly about changing the weight of their medicine balls on one of her ab workouts. I'm thinking some of her pyramid weights are another one where she says she'd going to try to stick with this weight, lighten up, or try to lift heavy for the next set, based on how the set she just completed went. The crew also writes down their weights, which I think is cool. It's what I do at home.

Last edited:
One of her older videos (might be one of her beginner ab workouts) says to squeeze the stability ball between your legs really hard, like you're going to pop it. She then reassures us that the ball won't actually pop. I
LOL! I know what you’re thinking about!!! It is funny :). I think it’s one of the inner thigh ball squeezes exercises, maybe in the Body Blast series, can’t remember either.

Last edited:
I seem to recall what she says is "Try to pop your ball! Don't worry it won't pop. If it does, then you have a problem with your ball!" That always makes me start laughing which is just mean because I'm struggling through those ball squeezes as it is.

I seem to recall what she says is "Try to pop your ball! Don't worry it won't pop. If it does, then you have a problem with your ball!" That always makes me start laughing which is just mean because I'm struggling through those ball squeezes as it is.
Kellyro77, yes! That's the quote I was trying to remember. It makes me laugh every time. With my luck, I'll actually have a problem with my ball at some point in time. I've smacked myself a couple of times with bands/tubing that broke while working out. If anybody's ball is going to pop, It'll be mine. lol

.... If anybody's ball is going to pop, It'll be mine. lol
Nope. It was mine! :) The 1st ball I purchased, well over 20 years ago did pop while I was sitting on it during a stretch. Down I went ... scared me but no injuries. The 3 we have now are supposedly guaranteed to not burst & we've had them for years & years....

I wonder how long they're expected to last?

Nope. It was mine! :) The 1st ball I purchased, well over 20 years ago did pop while I was sitting on it during a stretch. Down I went ... scared me but no injuries. The 3 we have now are supposedly guaranteed to not burst & we've had them for years & years....

I wonder how long they're expected to last?
I didn't know that could happen! My son had one for his physical therapy for over twenty years. Then, one day, when I was helping him with some of his exercises, he just kept getting shorter - slowly, but surely. I thought I was going crazy, until I realized the ball must have developed a leak or the seal around the plug went bad or something. I had no idea they could actually pop. Glad you didn't get hurt, and you just ended up with a funny story instead of an injury. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.