Comparing STS 2.0 to XTrain!

Kellyro77

Cathlete
I haven't seen this discussion yet, so thought I'd get a thread going.

Has anyone here gone through the STS 2.0/XTrain rotation in the guide yet?

I'm going to start that particular rotation in about a month after doing a fill-in STS 2.0 rotation upon completing the 12-week rotation from the guide.

I'm bringing up XTrain, too, because today I decided to do XTrain's Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's. I was supposed to do STS 2.0 Body Parts Biceps yesterday, but was listening to my body and really felt I needed to give myself a rest day. Since today was Body Parts Triceps on the calendar, I decided to instead make up for missing biceps yesterday by doing XTrain Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's.

I was in for an unpleasant surprise!

For whatever reason, I thought Cathe moved fairly slow in her Burn Sets workouts and had long breaks between sets. Nope!! She moves pretty fast in comparison to STS 2.0, and the rests between sets are only about 30 seconds. I got totally spoiled by STS 2.0! I even found myself saying "nope!" when a 30 second rest was over and pausing for another 30 seconds before moving forward.

So, just a heads up - the pacing in XTrain is different from the pacing in STS 2.0. I actually think this will be interesting when I do the actual rotation from the guide. As we know, changing things up is always good for our body, so maybe I'll see some additional benefits when I'm swapping between XTrain and STS 2.0 workouts, going a little quicker one day with shorter rests and slower with longer rests the next. Although I reserve the right to put in longer rests during XTrain, period (now that I know how helpful they are!)

Bright side is seeing I hadn't lost any strength since the last time I'd made entries on my Xtrain workout notes. In fact, I was able to push a little heavier on some sets. Happy about that!

Anyone else notice the differences between the two series?

I'm planning to do a variation of the STS2.0/Xtrain rotation in October/November (some different cardio substitutes). This month I'm re-visiting older 3-day split series (S&H, PS, Gym Styles & RWH). Last week I did P30 - you are so right! The pacing is vastly different! This makes the workout more intense in one sense - I like the rests in STS2.0 - they made the workouts not seem so stressful. Interesting how I was used to the faster pace in other series & didn't give it much thought, but after 3 months of STS2.0, I'm now more inclined to slow things down a bit too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.