Athletic training:amazing workout!

EllieB

Cathlete
Couldn't wait to share my first impression about this workout with you fellow Cathletes... I've just completed it and it is FANTASTIC!
The first part is intensely aerobic and I must confess I thought a couple of times I was going to die because you work till your muscles are exhausted, so they were quite of non responding when at the end of the circuit :D but I made throught that! The second half is less intense in terms of aerobic effort but it is really challenging : I had my tris begging for mercy when doing the last set of partials and when doing the stretches I noticed my shoulders where shaking :eek:
I felt the challenge and the thing I liked most is that I felt the burn and the muscles shaking even if not using heavy weights ( I used 6 and 4, may have gone heavier in some cases but just wanted to test my endurance the first time) and I LOVE the fact that it is very very complete: you work your body from head to toe while sweating a bucket, so it's very time efficient, something I was really missing in my collection. Thank you Cathe for this incredible workout!
Now I can't wait to do the other workouts of the series, but I feel tomorrow I won't go as hard as I'm sure I'll be sore :eek::D
Happy Sunday to everyone!
Ellie

Thanks for sharing this! I know that I'm soaking in everyone's reviews in anticipation of the disks arriving. It's like Christmas!!!! Yay!

HiiT's?????

Sounds great! Was this anything like the HiiT workouts? I got the downloads and I'm trying to find one for tomorrow that's as close to the HiiTs as possible. Did Cardio Supersets today and that was great, but still looking for those HiiTs...

Whoo Hoo! Yes, Athletic Training has no mercy once the warm up is complete. For the next 15 minutes or so after the warm up you will need t get your game face on and tell yourself it is a short segment. If you survive it ;) you will fee so accomplished.

Every Athletic Training class I teach has the same reaction...they walk up to me with big huge eyes and grab my arm for my attention ...." OMG Cathe, I thought I was going to die, I'm thinking this girl is nuts, I'm feeling like I'm about ready to take your lights out and then its over"

Btw, the rest of the workout is no walk in the park. I would just say its "joyfully" hard verses "bucket" hard. :eek:

I've only viewed S&G and Athletic Training so far, but I'm thinking AT is going to be my favorite workout out of the series.

I am downloading (and previwing) while at work...I just have to laugh because Cathe just said AGAIN?! in a slightly higher pitch and it just made me laugh outloud! I can't wait to go home and actually do some of these workouts!!

Athletic Training IS tough. My first exposure to it was during the Disney RT, and boy it was tough even on a 6-inch step and 5-lb weights! Just got my LIS DVD's today and can't wait to try this workout with 8- and 10-inch risers (gulp).

Totally did not want my first comments to be negative, but I really need to know what I did wrong, because this workout is awesome and fun, and I felt very unique.

So, I did this one as my first one to try, and really hurt my lower back. I don't really get injured often from home workouts, so it's a little ironic I did it on the low impact series.

I have a few guesses, either the side to side step work, maybe I was slouching as I got more fatigued, or during the bent over reverse flies, maybe I should have lightened the weight. I don't do step at all, so maybe I needed one less riser?

By the time we hit the seated back work with the tube, I had to quit, I did a little of the ab work (very little) then went to the stretch.

Anyone have any moments where they noticed they started relying on their lower back too much at times?

Again, it's a great workout, and sorry to bring any negativity to all the excitement but I can't really figure out where I went wrong to cause this pain and want to be able to do the workout again.

I was thinking of trying some of one of the yoga videos to help stretch my back (I'm new to yoga too, so I'll definitely take it easy tonight).

So, I did this one as my first one to try, and really hurt my lower back. I don't really get injured often from home workouts, so it's a little ironic I did it on the low impact series.

Dela, I had the same problem today while I was doing this workout. Only it was during the cardio segment. I had to stop the DVD two or three times and stretch my back. I wouldn't say I hurt my back. It was more of a tightness and burning sensation I got during the cardio segment. :confused: Like you, I'm not sure if I was slouching or what. :confused:

Jennie, thanks for chiming in, it was probably during the cardio section, step work is new to me, and I was pushing to keep up and likely lost my form. I ended up nixing the yoga tonight, that did not feel good at all. I'm icing again tonight, and hoping this subsides soon.

Jennie, thanks for chiming in, it was probably during the cardio section, step work is new to me, and I was pushing to keep up and likely lost my form. I ended up nixing the yoga tonight, that did not feel good at all. I'm icing again tonight, and hoping this subsides soon.

I do a lot of step work, but I've noticed during other cardio workouts I've done I get that same tightening/burning sensation in my lower back. With this workout it just seemed to be much worse. Maybe, like you, I just lost my form. At least we know we're not alone. :)

Totally did not want my first comments to be negative, but I really need to know what I did wrong, because this workout is awesome and fun, and I felt very unique.

I have a few guesses, either the side to side step work, maybe I was slouching as I got more fatigued, or during the bent over reverse flies, maybe I should have lightened the weight. I don't do step at all, so maybe I needed one less riser?

By the time we hit the seated back work with the tube, I had to quit, I did a little of the ab work (very little) then went to the stretch.

Anyone have any moments where they noticed they started relying on their lower back too much at times?

Again, it's a great workout, and sorry to bring any negativity to all the excitement but I can't really figure out where I went wrong to cause this pain and want to be able to do the workout again.

I was thinking of trying some of one of the yoga videos to help stretch my back (I'm new to yoga too, so I'll definitely take it easy tonight).

Dela,
I'm not a teacher or personal trainer and really far from being some of the kind, but what I've noticed in this new series is that core is often involved to stabilize your posture even when you think you're not using it. So it may be due to this: I think it will take a few more times before getting the muscles involved in the correct way.I felt sore (good soreness anyway) in my lats/lower back the day after as well, because this workout is very compete and it made me work muscles in some non-conventional ways due to new moves.As you said I agree that keeping good form is crucial to get the maximum benefit, I'm sure it will get easier the next time ;)

Dela,
I'm not a teacher or personal trainer and really far from being some of the kind, but what I've noticed in this new series is that core is often involved to stabilize your posture even when you think you're not using it. So it may be due to this: I think it will take a few more times before getting the muscles involved in the correct way.I felt sore (good soreness anyway) in my lats/lower back the day after as well, because this workout is very compete and it made me work muscles in some non-conventional ways due to new moves.As you said I agree that keeping good form is crucial to get the maximum benefit, I'm sure it will get easier the next time ;)

Thanks Ellie, I'm going to have really keep in mind to take breaks when I get fatigued so I can readjust my position. I'm hoping by tomorrow the pain is gone enough to get back to workouts, but I think I'll have to put LIS on hold until next week, well maybe I can still check out the upper body tri-sets.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.