anyone trying a CGM?

Seeker2233

I have been trying a CGM through the company Levels. It has been interesting. I always try to eat healthy. Well, what I thought was healthy may not be so true for me. My body hates sugar of any kind, as well as starchy carbs, and wheat flour. It's been an eye opening experience. I have listened to many podcasts/interviews with Dr. Robert Lustig about how sugar and carbs are driving the obesity and diabetes epidemic how our food system is knowingly putting sugar in everything, and how even if you aren't diabetic or obese, the spikes in glucose/insulin drive metabolic disease with bad outcomes for your brain, pancreas, and liver.

Some of my favorite podcasts are The Drive with Dr. Peter Attia, the Huberman Lab podcast with Andrew Huberman, Ph.D, and Found my Fitness with Rhonda Patrick, Ph.D. I am currently reading the book Metabolical by Dr. Robert Lustig. so much information out there....so little time.

Thanks for the recommendations on the podcasts & book - I'll check them out. I don't use a CGM but I stopped sugar a number of years ago (except to make kombucha but we let it ferment till it's vinegery - I think the probiotics are good for us) as well as eliminating grains and industrial processed oils. Have to read labels cuz "sugar-free" items aren't always truly sugar-free! Really made a difference in my health - greatly reduced joint pain, gastrointestinal issues, GERD, etc.

I have found that for me, on days I have a high white carb eating day, I have much worse acid reflux.
Makes it a lot easier to keep your white carb eating down if you have acid indigestion for a few hours after you eat a bunch of carby stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations on the podcasts & book - I'll check them out. I don't use a CGM but I stopped sugar a number of years ago (except to make kombucha but we let it ferment till it's vinegery - I think the probiotics are good for us) as well as eliminating grains and industrial processed oils. Have to read labels cuz "sugar-free" items aren't always truly sugar-free! Really made a difference in my health - greatly reduced joint pain, gastrointestinal issues, GERD, etc.
I found a sugar free kombucha from City Market (Kroger's) that using Stevia instead of adding sugar after fermentation. It is quite tasty, and does not spike my glucose. Kevita has some lower sugar kombucha, but I make sure to move my body after drinking it.

I have found that for me, on days I have a high white carb eating day, I have much worse acid reflux.
Makes it a lot easier to keep your white carb eating down if you have acid indigestion for a few hours after you eat a bunch of carby stuff.
My doc told me (and I had read about this elsewhere) to take some MCT oil before a high carb meal. MCT 8 oil is especially good for you. Fat slows down the absorption of sugar so you don't get as big of a spike. I mix it in my coffee, and in my chia pudding. I stay pretty stable when I do that.

I have been trying a CGM through the company Levels. It has been interesting. I always try to eat healthy. Well, what I thought was healthy may not be so true for me. My body hates sugar of any kind, as well as starchy carbs, and wheat flour. It's been an eye opening experience. I have listened to many podcasts/interviews with Dr. Robert Lustig about how sugar and carbs are driving the obesity and diabetes epidemic how our food system is knowingly putting sugar in everything, and how even if you aren't diabetic or obese, the spikes in glucose/insulin drive metabolic disease with bad outcomes for your brain, pancreas, and liver.

Some of my favorite podcasts are The Drive with Dr. Peter Attia, the Huberman Lab podcast with Andrew Huberman, Ph.D, and Found my Fitness with Rhonda Patrick, Ph.D. I am currently reading the book Metabolical by Dr. Robert Lustig. so much information out there....so little time.
I am also a huge fan of Dr Rhonda Patrick. I also really like Dr Gabrielle Lyon. I wish health insurance would cover CGMs more broadly in the US because you are so right about us needing to learn about how different foods affect our unique bodies to benefit our health and longevity.

My husband is diabetic and for several years, his endocrinologist begged him to start using the Freestyle Libre 2 CGM system. In 2020, after he got out of the hospital after 9 days of covid, he finally got the CGM and now can't imagine life without it. His has an alarm that will go off if his glucose drops below like 79 and there was one night, that I got up during the night to get a drink of water and I heard the alarm going off, but he couldn't hear it and I went in and gently woke him up and his glucose was 59 and had I not heard the alarm, he could've had a dangerous low and ended up in a diabetic coma.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.