"Old Lady Legs" (no offense meant)

Stacy

Cathlete
"Old lady legs" is a non-flattering term my sister likes to use. Well I have them and I'm not THAT old yet! What the description means are thighs that are flabby, have cellulite on front and back and above the knees and above the knees your legs look wrinkly, ie. like gravity is taking its toll. I realistically have about 20 lbs to lose give or take. I'm wondering if it's even reasonable to consider that I can realistically attain younger appearing legs even if I lost fat and gained some muscle tone at my ripe old age of mid-40's? I'm feeling the affects of peri-menopause and hormone affects on my body shape and muscle tone. Hats off to you ladies who don't have this issue during "the change". But, headaches, hair thinning and body changes don't lie! Quite depressing actually.

Any rotation/training tips? I don't have the energy anymore to go full throttle. I did a month of RWH and it about did me in, definitely over-trained there. I tend to already have large thighs (even in my younger and leaner days my legs would look more like a sprinter than a distance runner. I'm not a runner, just a visual)

Hi Stacy
I've noticed that with myself and just a 7 lb weight loss, it seemed to have a positive effect on my overall appearance, but these darn legs of mine just can't keep off that aging process. I'm pretty well into menopause, that at times has been anything but pleasant! I've noticed a decrease in my overall fitness level and have decided just to take it a lit bit easier with my workouts. My joints just don't seem to be able to take high impact as much. I really should be purchasing the next series.
Do what feels good for you. A month of RWH sounds pretty amazing!
Good Luck.
Sherry

Let's face it, peri-menopause, menopause and all the joys that come with it, sux. When you finally exit the other side it's great. At this point, I have to tell myself that I workout to feel better, looking better is a bonus. (Do your best, and forget the rest) I really don't have any rotation or training tips. Just hang in there, it eventually gets better. I try to put a lot of variety in my rotations. Just to keep me interested. I get bored easily. I just finished a heavy weight rotation (Nia Shanks) now I'm switching it up, with bodyweight training. In the Fall, probably another strength or hypertrophy program. Try a long brisk walk. Walking clears your head, and does wonders for your legs. Wishing you the best on this journey. Every woman here, will have to deal with this at some point. Unless a very intelligent woman invents a pill. Here's hoping.

Stacy believe me, I know what it's like to look in the mirror and be over 20 lbs my ideal weight. I always had "old lady legs" even in my 20's I had cellulite and saddle bags along with a flabby butt. I can only tell you that in the past 8 years my legs have looked the best they ever have (I just turned 61 in June) and I hold Cathe responsible...ha ha. I drip sweat doing Butts & Guts, STS legs and RWH legs at least once a week but it pays off. No saddlebags, no ledge above the knee, less cellulite. As Cathe says visualize it and go for it! Am I perfect...not by a long shot but I can out run most females I work with when we have an assistance call and they are 20-40 years younger than me. Start a rotation and stick with it, believe me you will see results not just physical but also mentally.

Stacy, I have no words of wisdom for you, but I want you to know that you're not alone! I am 56, and I have those "old lady legs" too. :( No matter how much I exercise (and I do exercise a LOT), my condition isn't going to change. Additionally, I have many, many veins, sun damage, and scars on my legs too! TBH, I am so envious of all the women in their late 40's and 50's with beautiful skin, who can still wear two-piece bathing suits and shorts. I haven't worn a bathing suit since I was 38/39. Cathe looks AMAZING! What I wouldn't do to have skin and a physique like hers! Genetics and lifestyle habits each have their role in how our skin ages. You already know that we have no control over our genetics. I used to be a heavy smoker and I tanned excessively. Those two bad habits have taken their toll on my skin, even though I gave up both vices a long time ago. If I were any wiser when I was younger, I would have never smoked or tanned, and I would have done numerous things differently. Live and learn! Don't get down on yourself. Life is too short. I often remind myself that I'm fortunate that my body is still able to do what I demand of it. There are plenty of women out there who are worse off than you or me, so I remain grateful for all that God gave me. With regard to exercising, just do what feels good to you and brings you pleasure. At least you'll look nice in your clothes. :) My hairdresser is always making a fuss about my figure (she doesn't exercise like we do), and my response is, "yes, I look good in clothes, but you wouldn't want to see me naked!" Ha! ;) Best wishes to you!

Stacy, I have no words of wisdom for you, but I want you to know that you're not alone! I am 56, and I have those "old lady legs" too. :( No matter how much I exercise (and I do exercise a LOT), my condition isn't going to change. Additionally, I have many, many veins, sun damage, and scars on my legs too! TBH, I am so envious of all the women in their late 40's and 50's with beautiful skin, who can still wear two-piece bathing suits and shorts. I haven't worn a bathing suit since I was 38/39. Cathe looks AMAZING! What I wouldn't do to have skin and a physique like hers! Genetics and lifestyle habits each have their role in how our skin ages. You already know that we have no control over our genetics. I used to be a heavy smoker and I tanned excessively. Those two bad habits have taken their toll on my skin, even though I gave up both vices a long time ago. If I were any wiser when I was younger, I would have never smoked or tanned, and I would have done numerous things differently. Live and learn! Don't get down on yourself. Life is too short. I often remind myself that I'm fortunate that my body is still able to do what I demand of it. There are plenty of women out there who are worse off than you or me, so I remain grateful for all that God gave me. With regard to exercising, just do what feels good to you and brings you pleasure. At least you'll look nice in your clothes. :) My hairdresser is always making a fuss about my figure (she doesn't exercise like we do), and my response is, "yes, I look good in clothes, but you wouldn't want to see me naked!" Ha! ;) Best wishes to you!
I thought your comments were very wise.

I agree completely! You have to make peace with yourself & your body. It's not easy and personally I get terrifically down on myself for not looking a certain way. Then there are days when I can get thru a really tough wkout (1 1/2 hour long) and THATS when I think.....HOLY JUMPIN HANNAH (an expression my beloved Grandfather used to say)!!! I rocked it!

Just commit to doing YOUR personal best. I've often heard that running intervals helps the legs. I also had succes with Cathes "rock bottom" rotation. Whatever you choose.....let it be for you & your best well being.

Last edited:
Oh! Also.....I'm kind of on the petite end of things but....I still have cellulite, friggin saddle bags are trying to come back....and it seems like my butt is making friends with gravity! What the hell! Someone perky might look at me and think......"ya know, if she worked out...." Arrg! I still agree with the others here....I can do SO much more physically than others much younger than I!

Hey, I've had the Queen's cankles since I was 17 (I was oblivious to it 'till a boyfriend pointed it out. arsehole!) Some things we just have to try to work with and accept. I don't wear capris or certain strappy shoes. Of course, we always view things from a more critical eye when it is our own.

Have you tried any rebounding/trampolining? That helps stubborn legs sometimes and it has for me. : )
Oh, and tell your sis to get over herself for me. j/k, j/k. Well, mostly. ;) Our siblings of couse are precious to us, but not always kind.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I read this thread yesterday and was hesitant to post! Sorry to hear you are feeling this way stacy!

It truly does slightly sadden me to hear us women being overly critical about ourselves:eek::eek::eek:
Stacy I am not going to list training workout here, neither Am I going to analyse
about exercises, rep range, rock bottom, glutes exercises, cellulite, saddle bags etc....

As TLC93 posted above, us women need to, at some point of our life, make peace with our inner self&body.
We can pretend being happy on a dance floor, in our basement working out but if we do not make peace with
ourself&body, the mental focus won't be there IMO. This can hinder embarking enjoyable training
program and any eventual gain:):)

I have made my peace with myself and my body:):) and I hope everyone does:)

Kind Regards,

I wouldn't necessarily say that this is post is about making or not making peace. Rather, I wanted to know an honest opinion of whether or not these changes in my legs are more permanent b/c of my age or if I could realistically get some decent, visual improvement. I wanted to hear about some of the experiences ladies with these type of legs concerns have had and if improvements were made, how often and how hard did you have to work at it, and how long it took to see some improvements in this stubborn area. I have accepted that this short, stocky frame of mine will never have "long lean muscles" no matter how long and hard I do TA or barre workouts. But, maybe some real leg aesthetic leg improvements are possible (??) I certainly do appreciate all the positivity about body awareness don't misunderstand this post! Thanks again ladies!!

Hi Stacy,

You are not alone by a long shot. I am 43 and am quite small so most people would think that I don't have to worry about things like cellulite, etc. I just had my body fat checked by the Cleveland Clinic and it is only 15.3% yet I, too, have cellulite and "loose skin" on my thighs. I am on a host of hormones due to pituitary failure a few years back and, let me tell ya, those hormones are tricky b@*^&s. I have watched my skin go from tight and cellulite-free (pre-pituitary failure) to where I am now within a very short period of time with zero change in workout or food choices. It is maddening, for sure. I am slowly coming to realize that I'd better just suck it up and learn to make peace with my body as it is. I suppose that's even more important because it will only get "worse" from here. See? Right there, I need to stop looking at it that way. I don't know if this helps you but, since I started lifting heavy weights (starting with completing STS), I have seen some beautiful muscle be added to my body. I can't say that it's helped my cellulite but it sure does draw attention elsewhere - to my rocking' biceps and shoulders! ;) That, plus I know that it will help me in many other ways as I continue to grow older. I think a lot of women in that peri-menopause to menopause age range experience the same kinds of concerns and those that I know who seem to be the happiest and most confident are those that embrace the changes their bodies go through with grace and acceptance. I sure am trying to become one of those women!!!

Christin

I agree with what everyone has written. We are all so hard on ourselves at times. But you did ask if there was anything that anyone found helpful. For me it is barre.....Suzanne Bowen BarreAmped, Sadie Lincoln Barre3, Tracy Anderson Metamorphosis and also FeFit. Sure diet is important but I found these all helped. It is different for everyone and while there is no magic bullet I got results from these that I was happy with.

I think we are all going to have different experiences. I've never been overweight, have never had cellulite, but as I age I can definitely see the skin changes everywhere, and most definitely on my legs.

We all know to eat right and work out, but if my "older" self could impart words of wisdom to the younger ones out there it would be.... stay out of the sun!!!! Why oh why do people think they need a tan? I am paying the price now for my youth spent in the sun. I stopped tanning my face in my 20s, but continued to suntan the rest of my body until my mid 30s. The skin on my legs is showing the results. The texture is definitely different now.

I have no specific advice, but I do believe consistency is key. Striving to work out most days and doing lots of functional fitness (cleaning, mowing, raking, shoveling, the wash, etc.) is good for the whole body. From experience, I try to focus on what I can do instead of the results. Having had a few injuries and not being able to work out at all really makes you appreciate when you can!

Beth

I have no specific advice, but I do believe consistency is key. Striving to work out most days and doing lots of functional fitness (cleaning, mowing, raking, shoveling, the wash, etc.) is good for the whole body. From experience, I try to focus on what I can do instead of the results. Having had a few injuries and not being able to work out at all really makes you appreciate when you can!

Beth

Such a great point you make, Beth! Thank you for that reminder. I think I needed to hear that today. :)

Christin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.