Styles and Fads from Decades gone by

lrusso

Cathlete
Pams thread about the 80's flashback got me thinking about all the cheesy 80's styles. I remember we all used to wear our lee jeans (with the big purple comb sticking out of the back pocket :p ) and our nike sneakers. And we all looked the same. I did love my feathered (Farrah Fawcett) hair at the time though. What were some of your best and worst styles from your most memorable decades?? :eek:

Last edited:
Late 80's - I wore bright NEON socks rolled down. All the girls did it at my school, so dumb looking. I also never met a pair of leggins that I didn't love (ugh...) And anyone ever peg their jeans at the bottom? Basically every style from the 80's and early 90's was AWFUL. I'm so glad digital cameras weren't around then (or if they were, I didn't have one) or I would have a lot more evidence of my tacky wardrobe!

I wish feathered hair would come back. I loved my hair back in the 80's. Right now, not so much.

What about laying on your bed to get your Jordach jeans on? No wonder I had bladder problems! I always bought my jeans a size too small and it would kill me to get them on. But I got them on, gosh darn it! :eek:

I loved to tease my bangs to get that waterfall look, slouch socks, those round plastic clips to fish your shirt tail through, and spandex pants. This would be a typical outfit.

You all must go to the off broadway production of "80's prom". It's an interactive show. You'll love it! I went as part of a Bachelorette party last year. It was lots of fun! :D

My husband and I were looking through some old pics a few weeks ago and found a picture of me from the 80s with my horses. I somehow managed to pull my pegged jeans over cowboys boots for riding. :eek:

Twenty-five years later, still riding, but love my boot cut jeans!

Best: I liked long tunic tops and narrow pants (from the late 80's/early 90's). They actually were very flattering to my figure.

Weirdest: a paper dress (from the early 70's).

I wish feathered hair would come back. I loved my hair back in the 80's. Right now, not so much.

What about laying on your bed to get your Jordach jeans on? No wonder I had bladder problems! I always bought my jeans a size too small and it would kill me to get them on. But I got them on, gosh darn it! :eek:

I liked the feathered look too, but I'm now thinkin' I want a shag! remember those? while I watch Partridge Family reruns on my local station. I bought these wider leg pants at the end of last year (at the time I thought I was making a big mistake..:eek:..with skinny jeans all the rage) I put them on the other day, and my arse looks fabulous! okay that's exaggerating a leetle bit, but darn if my seventies style wide leg pants don't make my butt look great (uh-humm) yeah, bring 'em back.

Yay!

Yes! Sometimes my sister and I would need to use pliers to grip the zipper pull in order to get those tight jeans on! Haha, no wonder my mom thought we were crazy!

Best: I liked long tunic tops and narrow pants (from the late 80's/early 90's). They actually were very flattering to my figure.

Weirdest: a paper dress (from the early 70's).

Kathryn,
I remember paper dresses!!! In the late 60s when Laugh-In was so popular with Goldie Hawn and Judy Karn! I had a Twiggy paper doll (do they even make paper dolls anymore?) and it came with a matching paper dress. I'd wear it with my little go-go boots and tell people I was "Mod"! ;)
As far as the 70s goes, in 9th grade (1976) I was rail thin and couldn't fit into the Levis with the orange tag on the back pocket that everyone wore. My mom would buy me Montgomery Ward's jeans in a boys size 10 slim (they'd come up to my mid shin) and attach legs from my brother's old jeans onto them with groovy studs :cool:. Then she'd sew on the orange tag! They were so tight I'd have to lie on the bed and put a hanger through the zipper hole to pull them up! They'd leave stiching impressions on my legs and butt when I took them off! God Bless my awesome mom for helping me fit in!
Nancy

Pams thread about the 80's flashback got me thinking about all the cheesy 80's styles. I remember we all used to wear our lee jeans (with the big purple comb sticking out of the back pocket :p ) and our nike sneakers. And we all looked the same. I did love my feathered (Farrah Faucett) hair at the time though. What were some of your best and worst styles from your most memorable decades?? :eek:

It's official, the most fun thread of 2011!

Thanks lrusso (Linda):D

In the 70's I had Ditto's brand gaucho's. Is that how you spell it? They weren't culottes because culottes weren't cool. Had to be gauchos.

Dr. Scholls wooden sandals. Beach Combers.

In the 80's I had striped jeans and printed jeans. Only the coolest girls had the Calvins and the Jordache jeans. And those high-heel clogs. Oh, how I wanted high-heel clogs.

I was, and actually still am, a Fashion Challenged Dork. It's true. You can ask my siblings. I have pictures of me with pieces of fat yarn tied around my neck - semi-ascot style.

Too funny I forgot about some of these you have mentioned. Here's a few more I came up with:

Ponchos-70's
Crimped hair-80's
Banana clips-90's
Jelly shoes-90' s

Thanks, Linda!! Such a perfect addition to our flashback series!! You own it too, honey! Lets see... I'm gonna branch out a bit also...

I TOTALLY sported the Farrah hair style... still do from ALL that hair-spray abuse! My hair just does it without thinking! :eek::eek:

Ditto jeans... I was soo proud to don those! :cool:
Those goofy short pleated skirts in the most obnoxious colors... in fact ANYTHING in neon was soo cool!
I had my Joan Jett period with the extremely bad hair cut and the way too dark make-up--- which had to make me look angry!
Seriously--- how on earth did we take a breath in those days??? Could our jeams have been any tighter?? No- I don't think so!
The skating rinks cruisin' to Cool & the Gang, etc.

And, who can forget... "Like, Oh ma God!! Like, totally gross me out! Ya know, like totally!!"

My diet back then consisted of two hour workouts followed by a "diet" of a Snicker's bar and a 32oz Diet Coke... I was sooo darned thin and thought I was fat.. now I know I was just skinny-fat!!

Fun, fun!! Ya'll Wang Chung tonight!! (whatever that means!)

PamaBanarama!

Thanks, Linda!! Such a perfect addition to our flashback series!! You own it too, honey! Lets see... I'm gonna branch out a bit also...

I TOTALLY sported the Farrah hair style... still do from ALL that hair-spray abuse! My hair just does it without thinking! :eek::eek:

Ditto jeans... I was soo proud to don those! :cool:
Those goofy short pleated skirts in the most obnoxious colors... in fact ANYTHING in neon was soo cool!
I had my Joan Jett period with the extremely bad hair cut and the way too dark make-up--- which had to make me look angry!
Seriously--- how on earth did we take a breath in those days??? Could our jeams have been any tighter?? No- I don't think so!
The skating rinks cruisin' to Cool & the Gang, etc.

And, who can forget... "Like, Oh ma God!! Like, totally gross me out! Ya know, like totally!!"

My diet back then consisted of two hour workouts followed by a "diet" of a Snicker's bar and a 32oz Diet Coke... I was sooo darned thin and thought I was fat.. now I know I was just skinny-fat!!

Fun, fun!! Ya'll Wang Chung tonight!! (whatever that means!)

PamaBanarama!

Like I totally forgot about the valley girl talk. Oh yes and the rollerskating days, we used to line up on the sides waiting to be picked when a slow skate song (Freebird) came on. :rolleyes:

In the late 80's/early 90's I would wear a hot pink spandex mini skirt with a t-shirt, slouch socks and keds. :eek:

What's worse is that I would go play pool w/my best friend in this get-up and wonder why I would never notice it when she would always tell me the guys were staring at me! :rolleyes:

Late 80's - I wore bright NEON socks rolled down. All the girls did it at my school, so dumb looking. I also never met a pair of leggins that I didn't love. . . ever peg their jeans at the bottom?

yep!! Then in the 90s those awful baby doll dresses and work boots. As if that made any sense at all. Grunge was terrible.

Circa 1989: long hair w/ the bangs sticking way up on our heads. My sisters and I did that and our Dad called it the Highty High School doo.

@112toGuru...those 70's jeans are coming back. I saw some at Ann Taylor Loft a couple weeks ago. They have the high waist and everything.

Ah, yes, the Jordache jeans. I was so proud of my first pair. I think it was in 5th grade for my birthday.

Nikes were big and then for a time it was Reebok...the bright hi-tops. I had bubble gum pink.

Leggings, stirrups, big belts, geometric patterns, paint splash patterns, neon, disastrous hair which required Ozone-killing amounts of Aquanet, banana clips, shoulder pads, Ray Ban style shades, legwarmers, slouchy socks, fingerless gloves...

We were also into buttons you'd put on your purse or jacket.

I remember the boys went through a Miami Vice stage. Vans were big with the guys, too.

One of the weirdest trends around here was that if you wore sweat pants, you pulled 'em up so that your calves showed. This look would probably be paired with a half shirt. Don't guess my state. LOL

Funny, most of this stuff is back now. Last summer, I bought a pair of Steve Madden jellies. Never thought I'd embrace that particular trend again!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.