Any Catheletes able to find friends that share enthusiasm for fitness IRL?

Cathewofan

I am naturally introverted & selectively extroverted.

I've been a Cathelete for over 20 years now. I am in my mid 50's. I am in a long-term marriage with no kids due to medical reason.

I have a very narrow definition of 'friends' vs. 'acquaintances'. To me, I call soul sisters my 'friends'. I tend to hang out in the female crowd whose season in life has been longer than mine. I respect their wisdom and unique insights.

Of late, I find myself yearning to connect with anyone on a deeper level, especially fitness-wise. I have a hectic work schedule and really look forward to get out of the rat race in 3 years. Even if I suddenly gain more free time, it's still difficult to find kindred souls these days. Locals have become so easily triggered and my faith community has unfortunately become aloof.

Just want to know if anyone else feels the same way.

I do understand. I'm also naturally introverted and developed extroversion skills over the years. I also distinguish between friends (few) and friendly acquaintances. I'm fortunate that my sister has the same interest in fitness (she's also an introvert). I'm grateful for the people on these fitness forums and although I often participate in the General Discussion forum, I seldom participate in an on-going Check-in. In my younger years I did belong to fitness clubs - that's one way to meet and develop "friends" who are like-minded. I also joined community fitness classes like "aerobics" and yoga, and participated in city leagues for volleyball and softball, altho I tired of the seemingly obligatory meet-ups at the bar after games. There are not many classes or leagues offered in my area now. My home fitness set-up is very nice so I'm not sure at this point that I'd commit to a class - I like the freedom of choosing my workouts and times. I'd probably only commit to an outside class for the social aspect and depending on the people there, might or might not continue.

My home fitness set-up is very nice so I'm not sure at this point that I'd commit to a class - I like the freedom of choosing my workouts and times. I'd probably only commit to an outside class for the social aspect and depending on the people there, might or might not continue.
I am with you on home fitness. It's easier and more motivating to have a home gym.

The local gyms these days are made up of a different crowd. I cannot hang with them since I am not active on Social Media. I have no need to photo or video document my life to gain 'acquaintances'. I hear you on the bar thing. Most local ladies prefer social drinks as meet-ups.

Apart from home fitness being a niche life style choice in my neck of the woods, my 'uniqueness' or rather 'eccentricities' prevents me from gaining meaningful friendship.

Just last year, the encouragement I have been giving a friend resulted in her beginning a fitness journey and she's ecstatic and doing so well!

But for YEARS, I have tried to find someone after my initial friend helped me and couldn't get anyone IRL on board.

Even reconnected with my high school and college friends but nothing yet as far as fitness. We did find enough things in common with our current lives that it has made it wonderful in other ways.

But if old high school or college friends isn't appealing then I encourage you to reconnect with old friends or coworker friends...you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was!

I am grateful for the outlet here and with my online VF friends :cool:

I’m definitely an introvert. My DH and I love fitness activities and support one another’s fitness goals. I’m admittedly a bit more hard core than he is but it creates a nice balance.

Our home gym is a thing of beauty. We spend time there daily, separately and together.

But if old high school or college friends isn't appealing then I encourage you to reconnect with old friends or coworker friends...you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was!

I am grateful for the outlet here and with my online VF friends :cool:

Thanks for taking the time out to respond.

We transplanted after college to another state, so unfortunately, the old connection does not send out a 'strong' vibe. I have one genuine friend who is currently in withdrawal mode, as she's going through some health issues.

I think what you say is so true - meet where they are, as they are. I hope to connect more IRL when my wirj schedule is a lot less hectic.

My DH and I love fitness activities and support one another’s fitness goals. I’m admittedly a bit more hard core than he is but it creates a nice balance.

Our home gym is a thing of beauty. We spend time there daily, separately and together.

Ditto. Hubs & I work out in our home gym as well. He loves Cathe's workouts. I am quite fortunate in that regard.

Thanks for sharing your lovely story.

So true !! Many, many times if I didn't get invited to something....simply because I know
that I didn't get invited because they knew I wouldn't attend, for whatever reason, I
would think " But you could have at least asked!" LOL! Really, anymore, if that happens,
it doesn't bother me as much as it might have in the past.

All of my fitness friends are here on this board. None of my friends or family is into intense exercise like I am. Well, I take that back, Hunter, my young enough to be my son next door neighbor is a fitness fanatic, avid bodybuilder and was like Mr. Colorado when he was in college. We talk every now and then and when I told him about all the workout variety I do, he wanted to know where I worked out. At home with Cathe Friedrich was my reply. He goes to 24 Hour Fitness and wanted to take a HIIT class bit didn’t want to pay extra for it. I didn’t know Some classes cost extra on top of a gym membership. I’m glad I have my Cathe DVD’s. With rotations and premixes it like different classes.

At home with Cathe Friedrich was my reply.
I hear you right there. IMHO, Cathe is the best of the best in the home fitness arena. She really offers a myriad of challenging workout programs at an affordable price range. How I discovered her workout was really after doing several rounds of the other 90 day home workout program. I find her STS series a lot more challenging and organized with less hype, just pure hard work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.