routine ideas needed/feedback

RubySue78

Hello! I've been an avid home workout enthusiast for 10+ years now, with Cathe being the go to for most of my cardio workouts. I have hit a plateau and need some help moving forward. I am 40 years old, I have Lyme disease, chronic mold toxicity, hypothyroidism and multiple food allergies/sensitivities. With that being said, I am in relatively good shape for all these infections. I am looking to keep what lean muscle I have but keep my body strong so I can keep on going, do the things I enjoy, sit and stand back up unassisted (as I age of course) etc. I currently do an hour of cardio 3x's a week and strength train 3x's a week; typically one day upper, one day lower and one day total body. I also walk 3 miles a day and try to squeeze in a 30 minute casual bike ride each evening.
I'm not sure if I should just keep to what I'm doing exercise wise or mix it up? The Lyme and very restricted diet make it hard to gain muscle and my body responds better to more cardio than not/less.
Any thoughts?

Maybe it's time to mix it up a little, to keep your body guessing. Our bodies adapt very quickly to the same old workout every day, and week. Maybe throw a little Hiit, or a metabolic workout in the mix. Cardio two days a week, with weights four days a week. Maybe some yoga! (ya never know) Throw yourself a curve ball. Doesn't need to be dramatic, you could try a bodyweight workout. There is so much out there, with so many ways of changing things up. Bodies thrive on a little change occasionally. I need to change things at least every three months. Maybe it's my short attention span. Anyway, I wish you luck! Just experiment, what's the worst that can happen. By the way, I'm hypothyroid as well. (Hashimoto syndrome)

Change is always good. I go to a high intensity interval gym class twice weekly and do my cathe weights at home but was dealing with recurrent injuries. I've now added pilates and gone back to ballet after a 2.5 year hiatus and really love it. Even took a 6week tai chi class which is totally not my bag and now see why it's important to not always push myself to the limit. Balance is key to being healthy. Took me years to figure that out.

Hi @RubySue78 : I see you are new and thus may not have seen the "Video & DVD Rotations" forum on this site. If you click on the rotation index links in this forum, you will see descriptions of Cathe's monthly rotations and the links to those rotations. I find this very helpful in picking a rotation to do based on my current fitness goals. For example, here is the link to the index for Cathe's rotations from Sep 2014 to now: https://cathe.com/forum/threads/index-of-cathe-rotations-sep-2014-2018.299397/. I use these to get an idea of what I should be doing based on what I want to accomplish. Sometimes I use the rotations as written, usually I'll swap in other similar Cathe workouts or workouts from other instructors.

Hi @RubySue78 : I see you are new and thus may not have seen the "Video & DVD Rotations" forum on this site. If you click on the rotation index links in this forum, you will see descriptions of Cathe's monthly rotations and the links to those rotations. I find this very helpful in picking a rotation to do based on my current fitness goals. For example, here is the link to the index for Cathe's rotations from Sep 2014 to now: https://cathe.com/forum/threads/index-of-cathe-rotations-sep-2014-2018.299397/. I use these to get an idea of what I should be doing based on what I want to accomplish. Sometimes I use the rotations as written, usually I'll swap in other similar Cathe workouts or workouts from other instructors.
Thank you for the response! I have seen the workout rotations, how are they put together? I mean who puts these together? Are they randomly chosen or are they put together with a rhyme and reason to them? I want to continue to stay healthy and fit. I mix up my workouts with HIIT, Low impact, Step, Kickboxing etc. But from time to time I get bored even after switching things up like mad. Example: I will do one week HIIT workouts for an hour 3xs a week and 1 hour weight lifthing alternating days between upper and lower body. The next week I will do low impact or step for my cardio and do 2 days of upper with only one day of lower or 1 day of upper and 1 day of lower with 1 day of full body strength.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate any other input

The index contains rotations that Cathe puts together on a monthly basis. There are other people that post rotations to that forum as well, but the index I linked is for Cathe's rotations. Every month, she puts a rotation together and describes what the rotation is supposed to accomplish on her blog. For example, here is what she put out for this month: https://cathe.com/cathes-july-2018-workout-rotation/. She describes it as one to do for "for fat loss and metabolism boosting benefits." I do think that her rotations are well-thought out and will accomplish what she says it does.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.