Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/23

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Only agility class yesterday.

Judy, It would be interesting watching a bike race for a while, but does it get monotonous? Assume they skip around and show various parts like hill climbing, water etc.

Valerie, I would not have a problem with tourists that are not residents here paying more for entrance into parks. We get a brake because of our tax dollars being spent for maintenance etc. I'm sure that is why it is like that in other countries. Have a safe trip back!

Carolyn, nice job on Build & Burn. I need to look at some more JS walking workouts on YouTube and try them out for cardio while my hip is still recovering.

Diane Sue, the retreat sounds like it was fun. I can see how you would be tired with only 4 hours of sleep.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday I did do the new cathe live upper circuit with hiit followed with the raw hi lo cardio. This was a great combo to do together. I have some slogh doms this morning.

Deb..this live is a great workout. The hiit sections are not too crazy and you could easily modified to a low impact to not agravate your hip. Js has some great workouts.

Diane Sue...I loved the raw workout with Tatum. For the hi rep I used 5’s and went to 12’s for some of the moves. I was finished after this. Today I am stating away from upper body. Sounds like a fun and busy day. I love my coffee but need to limit.

Carolyn...completely forgot I have Build and Burn. Need to check these out again.

Judy...the way you ride the annual fee is a bargain!

Valerie...I think we can certainly do a better job protecting our national parks. That ride must have been tough if in 5 miles your were exhasted!

Was watching Jurrasic Park Fallen Kingdom last night and do not think I ever posted pictures of our movire room. Doing that in my next post!

Have a great day all!

Still need to paint the screen directly to the wall and remove what is there now. I have this on my Fall project list. We love our room and now that it is getting cooler will be nice to have the fireplace blazing while watching a movie on snowy day/night!

Attachments

• IMG_3488.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3490.jpg
    IMG_3490.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen.JPG
    Screen.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 11
Deb-The bike races do get monotonous, especially long ones. The DVDs are compilations of the more exciting parts of the races with interviews and commentaries too. For the streaming, I usually watch the last hour or two of the race as that's when it can get more interesting. Sometimes I have a Spinerval DVD playing and a bike race streaming on my iPad at the same time. I like to multi-task, lol!

Lori-I love your movie room! That will be so nice with the fireplace this winter!

Reactions: WD
Good morning all. We are driving home today so a long day. Lori I will look closer at your tv room when o have a bigger screen. This is rest day for me.
We were getting tired from doing something every day plus house guests wear me out. The ride was too steep to be much fun so we might try again next year earlier in the season when we can drive to a higher trailhead that will have fewer cows. It was not fun coming down because of being too steep and a lot of big loose rocks.

I can’t enjoy watching people bicycle..... even tour de France is mostly boring and everyone looks the same. spinning is different because of the continuous changing positions but I don’t like watching spinning unless I’m doing it with them. I remember trying to watch xc ski dvds but.... omg boring. Hard to find interesting but not too complicated things to watch for exercising on an exercise bike or treadmill. I used to watch GMA or Today show or Met The Press type news programs and even oprah . There used to be more content and less commercials. I’ve never been able to watch movies, I can't keep the plot straight when I'm working hard.

When there was talk about increasing national park fees a yr ago I could not understand why increasing fees for non residents wasn't brought up. citizens of the US should not have to pay more to see what their tax dollars paid for to begin with. visiting foreign tourists should be paying a lot more before US citizens should be called on. as itr is, they pay the same as people who live here. I write or contact my Congress people regularly about this and plenty of other issues.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. I’ve got the Falcons football game on, but I’m not really watching it. I just want the highlights so I can participate in the discussion later. My husband is watching with friends and my brothers are at the actual game. The New Orleans and Atlanta game brings out the family rivalry since we are from Louisiana.

Diane Sue, I’m glad your retreat was a success even with the rain. As much as I like coffee, I don’t think it would help if I only had four hours of sleep!

Lori, your movie room looks great. And the screen! It looks like a wonderful place for movies and sports.

Hello to everyone and have a nice afternoon.

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Just Step, 24 minutes, heart rate average 146, max 165, 2,230 steps, calories 164. I am going to try to get a workout in early tomorrow. I have and appointment with the arthritis center in the morning and they are going to do an eye test to make sure the medication is not causing a build up in back of the eye. I guess they do this routinely as the medicine can cause eye problems.

Deb, agility class seems like it would always be pretty active without workouts. I was so tired after church I was trying to type something and kept nodding off. I finally gave in and had a nap. Maybe that will help me catch up a bit.

Lori, after those two workouts I am sure you will need a rest from the upper body work :) I love your movie room. You have decorated it so beautifully. The projector is a nice addition :) along with the movie posters. We have so many movie posters. My husband did security for AMC theaters for years and two of my children worked there while in high school. I only have one out of the rolls and it is in a poster frame. It is an anniversary poster of Snow White. I have it in my workout room. Gigi looks right at home. She looks so much like my daughter's lab Hershey.

Judy, quite often when I have used a piece of workout equipment, I would watch a you tube, preview a workout, or run a workout at the same time. Once in awhile a movie. I can't concentrate very well on movies though. Once in awhile I will listen to a pod cast while doing an actual spin workout that I pretty much know.

Carolyn, the men in our family like to tease my daughter in law since she loves OSU and wears t-shirts and everything. We have a lot of family that go to or have gone to OU. She also loves the Chicago Cubs and was so excited when her and her husband went there on one of his work trips and she got to see them play. No one can figure out why she chose Chicago Cubs since she is not from there or has never been from there. I am not much of a sports fan. I like to see the score. When my husband was out of country I would watch games to give him some of the highlights. I had way too much coffee yesterday. I was still sitting up staring at the computer at 11 o'clock and realized I really needed to go to bed. I don't like how caffeine makes me feel.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did 21 Day Fix, Upper Body Fix 32 minutes, 140 calories.

Lori, thanks for the review of the latest Live workout. I may try that this week. That room is awesome! Love the old movie projector :). Gigi looks comfortable and ready to watch a movie. LOL.

Judy, I can see how watching the races good parts could be motivating and help you stay with it for a longer ride.

Valerie, hope the trip back was not too boring and you arrived home safe, but assume very tired!

Carolyn, I am the same way with sports, just let me know the score and if a really good game, (only if it is the Bills) tell me the highlights.

Diane Sue, I can understand with all that coffee, how you might be up and not able to sleep. I hope you slept better last night. Did the nap help? That is good that the arthritis center is very careful about side effects and does testing for them.

Take care,

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Intervals #4 using 15# dbs, heart rate average 130, max 156, 262 calories, 41 minutes, 2,643 steps, met 5.8. Getting ready to leave in a bit.

Deb, I did sleep better last night. I got 7 hrs of sleep even though I was coughing a lot and the allergies are bad right now. I was still groggy after the nap yesterday and had to push myself to take care of chores around the house. 21 Day Fix Upper seems like it would be a good choice for you right now.

We are back and more or less settled. I need to get the mail picked up, pay bills and get groceries. ( nice bonus. DH went to get the mail!) I planned meals well, refrigerator is empty. Deb, it is a fairly boring drive since interstates are not exactly scenic. sundays are good because no active road construction and no regular commute traffic. lot of miles. took 10 hours 45 min.

Lori your exercise room is fantastic! I could not see the pics well on my phone yesterday. looks so comfy and all those great posters. plus Gigi of course. so cozy looking and the screen is HUGE.
not sure if I will get in a workout today by the time I get shopping done. will see how it goes.

I don't like watching pro sports, but know team names and city. one thing I DO notice is that football players have such fantastic arms these days. so lean and muscular and of course all the ink. I remember players (from when I was a kid and watched football ) as great big beefy 300 lb guys. looks like different qualities are needed these days.

Deb is that the main problem with using an exercise bike... nothing to watch? Even if its not the main thing, I would think it would be a good fill in occasionally. I need something on a screen. it's harder than it used to be. movies are too long, need too much attention. I used to watch MTV, talk shows, things that distracted me but not too complicated to follow. talk , cooking, home, garden shows. I can't do it anymore with one channel from the antenna, and too complicated with 3 remotes even if I could stream down stairs but the signal does not get there.

The doctor visit felt like a waste of time. He did not do the eye test that he mentioned last time. Mentioned changing meds if I wanted to. I asked it the other had side effects and he said not any more than what I am taking. Then after discussing further, he said that he would have to do blood work routinely to monitor the liver and kidneys and that they are rarely affected. Not more than 5% of the time. I told him I will stick with what I have for awhile. The alternative did not sound like something I really want to do.

Valerie, I bet it is nice being back and having everything taken care of after coming home. I always enjoyed our days away in our fifth wheel, but it still felt nice to be back home. Even though the fifth wheel had all of the amenities in it and ready, there was still some groceries like things that needed to go in the refrigerator, which we did not keep running when we were not using it. Laundry and clothes was another thing.

I can do laundry at either house so when we go or return, not a job. we plan to be back in MT in about 3 weeks so we don't close everything down as if winter. we plan on time there winter but more things need draining and antifreeze.
I shrink wrap cheese, leave the pantry and refrig stocked with condiments, frozen , and canned goods, cereal etc. I'm not comfortable leaving too much since we could have bad weather or some other problem and not make it back when expected. the refrigerator could fail at either house... ugly! we take some refrigerated things back and forth each direction but not a ton. a refrigerator or freezer failing any time is rough. even if you see it happen, you won't get a replacement in time to do a lot of good.

Last edited:
Today I did RWH Lift It HiiT It Legs which was 46 minutes and 276 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 147. I was feeling sluggish this morning (too much sugar yesterday) but I managed to get it done. I had my physical this morning and that went well. I had the lab work done two weeks ago so that we could discuss the results today.

Deb, 21 Day Fix Upper Body sounds like a good choice today.

Diane Sue, great job getting your workout done this morning before your appointment. I don’t blame you for not changing your medication if they have the same side effects. I felt a bit like my appointment was a waste of time too, but I know that it’s something I need to do annually. I am thankful that I am mostly healthy.

Valerie, I’m glad that you had an uneventful drive back. Freeway driving is definitely boring.

Hello to Lori and Judy. Enjoy your day everyone.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

We got the estimate yesterday to refinish our hardwood floors downstairs. The money is not the issue, it’s the logistics of the whole thing. Basically all the furniture has to be out of the rooms, which is going to be a challenge. Plus, having a new puppy come into the house right in the start of it, will be nuts! We have gone over and over all the different ways to do it, and think we have come up with a plan. We will have to do it in 2 phases in order to have the rooms completely empty. It will be a long process with a week to "cure" each section after it is done.

Diane Sue, glad you got some good sleep. I ordered a new sleep supplement from Mercola, have not gotten it yet. It has melatonin but a with a few other things too. It wasn't that expensive, so I thought I would give it a try. Sorry the appointment was not what you were expecting.

Valerie, I give you and your husband a lot of credit, doing that trip in one shot. I would definitely break it up and stay somewhere overnight. I could not be in the car for that many hours. The only thing that helps me with cardio equipment boredom is using a workout, like the Walk Fit ones I have or iTrain.com stuff. Maybe I can find one of those for the exercise bike. Like you though, it is all set up for John's height etc and I would need to adjust it, and then get it back to his settings.

Carolyn, great news on the good physical results. :)

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Today I did Low Impact Circuit cardio blast timesaver on a 4” step. The time was 49 minutes and 334 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 149. I love the choreography and music in this workout.

Deb, I need music for motivation when I use the treadmill. I created playlists that match the spread that I want to walk or run. I usually have the television on also, but the music is more important. Cardio equipment can be very boring but it’s helpful at times. My husband watches golf videos when he walks on the treadmill. Refinishing your hardwood floors sounds like quite a project. I have been thinking about replacing some carpet with hardwood but clearing out the furniture is a daunting task.

Waving hello to everyone.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Step Boxing #2 with the kickboxing drills, 41 minutes, heart rate average 130, max 161, 271 calories, met 6.0, 3,623 steps. I then did Ice Low Impact Sweat time saver step, 28 minutes, heart rate 127 average, 150 max, met 5.8, 179 calories, 1906 steps. Total time 69 minutes, 448 calories.

Deb, when we put in our wood flooring we had to move the furniture out. Most was stacked in the garage or sunroom. We had to cover the piano and get several me to move it on and off the flooring as well as the sofa bed, as there was no moving those two items clear out. We just had grandsons and son come over and help move them. We had painters and floor layers here at the same time. It was quite a mess. I am afraid of melatonin after trying it before. I had bought some tulsi tea to try and then looked at all of the ingredients and it has chamomile in it so I won't drink it. If you have ragweed and grass allergies, you do not want to drink chamomile tea. I didn't know till recently that you shouldn't eat zucchini or cucumbers either. I was pouring back over this stuff this morning, as I have been taking all of these supplements for allergies and still coughing and dripping like crazy. Today, I am cleaning fans and extra things and I gave Gertie a bath and washed all of her bedding. Just hoping to lighten this up a bit. I like doing Kelly Coffey's Home Gym Intervals workouts. They make the time go fast getting on and off the spin bike. I keep the remote by me so I can pause and add a bit more pedaling before I start the weights and after. She has two of them on her streaming service and one run with me treadmill workout which I have not done.

Carolyn, that workout always seemed fun because of the music :) I went back and looked at the other medicine and it is a sulfa med. I have it in my charts that I get hives with sulfa. I will hold out on that one.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was a rest day. I worked out every day since coming back from my conference. I was due. :). This morning was BBS’s Upper body section from her newest dvd. I followed up with SB’s advanced thigh workout. These two together made a great workout. Not a high calorie burner but a nice toning workout. Total time was 52 mins / 242 cal.

Deb...Are you getting a puppy? I must have completely missed this! So sweet. Taking on a new puppy is a lot of work. However, the training goes by quick and it is well worth the love you have and receive from your pup! GiGi is giving us such joy. So glad we decided to get her. I would like to get new carpet for our bedroom. But the thought of taking everything out is daunting.

Carolyn...rivalry with the family can be fun! Lol! We have been getting a lot of use out of our basement room. Yes, it is amazing to watch a football game. We have a couple of Bose speakers at the moment which sound great, but, for Christmas our spluge to ourselves will be surround sound. Then it will be complete. Glad the physical went well. Which series is that Low Impact Circuit from? I am going to check it out.

Valerie...makes sense you do landry at both homes. That must make your trips so much easier. We have a separate freezer that is kept on our patio that is somewhat new. A few years back we kept the previous one in the basement. Well it died and of course we did not discover for a couple of days. What a mess! We just bought a new refrigerator and will be delivered this weekend. We wanted a larger one with more features. We are still keeping the older and will utilize that for overflow. You would think we would be downsizing everything since my son moved out!

Judy...you have always amazed me with how long your can spin!

Diane Sue...I think I mentioned how much I liked that Raw Interval 4 workout. Great job using 15s!! So sorry about your doctors appt. :( I love her raw home gym interval workouts.

Cold and rainy here today. We New Englanders try to hold out as long as we can before putting the heat on. I am always the first to cave! :)

Lori, it looks like you have jumped right back into the workouts. We have cooler weather coming in tomorrow with more rain. I wish the rain would hold off till the guy gets to our sunroom and roof. I have multiple buckets, plastic and towels down to catch the water. I saw Kelly is working on more Raw workouts while the new dvds are being shipped out. She was doing one with a weighted vest on and it looked like weighted gloves. That should be interesting.

we hiked today about 6 hours. a decent workout and a lovely day. we go to less traveled trails and still go off trail to get away from the crowds. we saw 4 people. that was plenty but after the Yellowstone nat park, it was OK.

Lori we decided to spend the money to make it comfortable. if I have to truck laundry back and forth 800 miles... not a good plan. I love the washer and dryer ...so efficient and easy to use. it is still a stretch to say I enjoy doing the wash but it mostly does itself. we ride and hike so best be able to wash and dry seriously dirty things.
You are doing a good job getting back into a regular routine. we thought about a separate freezer but have decided to buy a cheap plain refrigerator for the garage. if our main refrigerator fails, it will be many days before we can get a replacement, so a cheap backup refer is best. the chances we would be there at time of failure is remote too. noooo a dead freezer after several days is a bad scenario! ours failed last fall but it happened the day we were getting home so most things were still cold enough to salvage.

funny how different it is for all of us...... music does not work for me without something visual. that's why MTV used to work for me, music and visual. I have to have something to watch. music is nice but not necessary. I have an aversion to ear buds. my ear openings are very small and no ear buds fit. they are massively unpleasant. when we had our hardwood floor re done they said we had to sleep outside the house that night. so we slept in our camper along with our kitty. there are a lot of ways to re do hardwood, but we only had kitchen and dining room so plenty of room to move furniture around.

Deb there is no place we want to stay over night midway. eastern WA is "fly over" country most of the year, and once we are loaded it is easier to keep on going. I can't sleep in motels .... loud, smelly, hot. if we were camping in the camper we've stopped part way. that's comfortable. motels are very hard for me and restaurant food is so crappy. we are always prepared to stay if needed with overnight supplies. we leave early and stop for gas and potty breaks only and its over in 11 hours rather than 2 entire days. we usually slough the next day to recover but it still works better for us this way.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises yesterday.

Carolyn, good job on Low Impact Circuit. I completely forget about the Low Impact Series, and I don't know why that is. Music is very helpful on cardio equipment. I seem to need more of a direction with someone telling me what to do, to keep it from being boring. We decided to clean out the garages and use them for the furniture while they are doing the sanding. Unfortunately, we will still have to do one room at a time, as not all the furniture from both rooms will fit in the 2 garages.

Diane Sue, I didn't realize that chamomile had an affect on people with ragweed allergies etc. or zucchini or cucumbers! I just hooked up our heap air filter in the living room to run at night while we are sleeping to hopefully clean the air somewhat. I am more concerned with dog smells and John is convinced that his coughing is from dog dander. I don't think I ordered the new KCM dvd's, or even knew about them. I need to go over to her site and take a look. Of course, it could be on her FB page, which I don't go to much.

Lori, yes, you deserved a rest day! Gigi is a sweetheart! Yes, we are getting a new puppy. We have to pick from 3 males. Hopefully we can get the one that will "respect" his older sister, who will not put up with puppy trying to be the "boss".

Valerie, A 6 hour hike is more than a "decent" workout! :). How you explained it makes sense if you do not want to stop while going between homes.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.