Modifications

muniav09

In line with all the posters who would like a new series of beginner/intermediate/low impact workouts, I'd like to add that I really appreciate in the newer advanced workouts when Cathe or a cast mate demonstrates a low impact modification of a high impact move. This works especially well in HiiT and circuit workouts where Cathe can instruct during the breaks. I'm 52, and returned to exercise after several years last October (34 pounds down--thanks, Cathe!). I've been through ICE and LIS, and am starting to do some impact I've never done before and doing the ICE/Ripped with HiiT rotation (modified), but I'm never going to be able to do all-out high impact workouts. I can usually modify a high impact move, or if I can't figure one out, do something else entirely, but if Cathe or a cast mate demonstrates a modification (especially late in a workout, when my brain is as tired as my legs), it feels "sanctioned" and okay, and alleviates a lot of the feeling of not keeping up with the class. I made the mental breakthrough a few years ago that these are MY workouts, and giving what I have today is more than okay, but I know a lot of us feel triumphant when we're doing the workouts the way Cathe says to do them! Then we can use the "new" modifications on the older workouts as well. Thanks for your consideration!

Muniav09 congrats to your successes!! I have done Cathe's beginner/intermediate but I find I get the best WO by making my own modifications to her Advanced ones following the exercise to get a similar benefit on the same muscle area. For instance I don't do any pivots because of the joint stress so I just follow the jumps in the same place on the floor. I don't get hung up with keeping up w the class anything done is a benefit the way I see it plus no one can see me @ home ;)

Muniav09 congrats to your successes!! I have done Cathe's beginner/intermediate but I find I get the best WO by making my own modifications to her Advanced ones following the exercise to get a similar benefit on the same muscle area. For instance I don't do any pivots because of the joint stress so I just follow the jumps in the same place on the floor. I don't get hung up with keeping up w the class anything done is a benefit the way I see it plus no one can see me @ home ;)
Me too. I substitute rear lunges for scissors, squats and sumo squats for various plyometric exercises, etc. works for me!

I agree! Maybe in the future have one or two ppl do the advanced move, one or two the intermediate move and 2 do the easier move.... within the same workout. That way everyone gets what they want in the same series.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.