Loving fit/split except for abs...

I have wonky wrists too. I'm going to try to use my push up bars so my hands aren't on the ground with my wrists at 90 degrees -- that just kills them. The bars sure help with pushups and mountain climber-type moves, so hopefully they will work for this ab workout. Otherwise, I'll be using one of Cathe's many other options for core work. . .

Yep, I totally agree! I know Cathe says in time your wrists will built up the tolerance but after having worked out with Cathe for about 12 years, my wrists still kill with continuous "wrist based" floor exercises like as in the bonus ab routine. Such a bummer because I almost always add an ab routine onto the shorter programs and I was really looking forward to a new one.

I did the Low Impact Cardio and Metabolic Conditioning first. In that program, you have already used your wrists in seven exercises. In the low impact cardio section, you do (1) walk out walk in planks (2) walk out planks with jacks and (3) mountain climbers (glide style). Then in the metabolic conditioning section, you do (1) squat thrust 2 plank push ups (2) dragging planks / moguls (3) plank tricep kickbanks and (4) tricep push ups. Then when you add on the bonus ab routine all but three of the eleven exercises are "wrist based": (1) crab kicks (2) bear crawls (3) piston planks (4) straight arm plank toe taps (5) mermaids (this one isn't too bad but I put it in here because you are still using your wrist to glide the disc out) (6) elbow to knee (7) moguls and (8) pike curls. There are only three exercises after the piston planks in which you are not on your wrists.

So when you put all of these "wrist exercises" together - WOW - my wrists HURT. My wrists are in so much pain in the ab section that I do not even feel my abs being worked because all I feel are my wrists. I am glad that there are others who have this same problem. I really thought that I was an anomaly because I watch all the girls in the video and even some of the participants in Cathe Live when there is a "wrist exercise" and no one looks like they are feeling the pain that I am feeling! I have tried gripping weights instead of having my hands flat on the ground, doubling a yoga mat and putting it under my wrists, using Yoga mini discs under my wrists, etc. I cannot seem to solve the problem. I do not have arthritis, carpal tunnel or any other wrist condition either. I DO try and attempt as many of these type of exercises on my elbows but it is often hard to modify some of these floor exercises and get the same effect.

I still love Cathe but in an approximately a 60 minute workout (including bonus abs) there are 15 wrist based exercises and in the majority of them they are holding up your entire body. Just too many in my opinion. :(

Thanks for the heads up ladies!!
For the wrist support issue alone, I have a Hugger Mugger cork wedge. I got mine at a local pilates studio, although they can be purchased online as well. Highly recommend for any wrist or arm issues. Some folks around here love WAGS (gloves). I prefer the wedge ..... as all of us are built differently.
I'd also recommend googling 'wrist+modications downward dog.' Yogis/Yoginis spend a great deal of time utilizing their wrists & have excellent suggestions.
Some examples that, I think, are of particular help:
http://www.sunriseyoga.ca/how-to-protect-your-wrists-in-upward-facing-dog-use-the-redwood-technique/ (these tips are my fave!!)
https://yogainternational.com/article/view/pose-modifications-for-wrist-challenges
https://bodypositiveyoga.com/downward-facing-dog-a-guide-for-beginners-and-plus-size-yogis/

My scoliotic body isn't a fan of repetitive horizontal conditioning/animalistic/all fours core work anyway, although for the wrist issue in itself, I hope this might help you out!!
Cheers!!

Thanks for the heads up ladies!!
For the wrist support issue alone, I have a Hugger Mugger cork wedge. I got mine at a local pilates studio, although they can be purchased online as well. Highly recommend for any wrist or arm issues. Some folks around here love WAGS (gloves). I prefer the wedge ..... as all of us are built differently.
I'd also recommend googling 'wrist+modications downward dog.' Yogis/Yoginis spend a great deal of time utilizing their wrists & have excellent suggestions.
Some examples that, I think, are of particular help:
http://www.sunriseyoga.ca/how-to-protect-your-wrists-in-upward-facing-dog-use-the-redwood-technique/ (these tips are my fave!!)
https://yogainternational.com/article/view/pose-modifications-for-wrist-challenges
https://bodypositiveyoga.com/downward-facing-dog-a-guide-for-beginners-and-plus-size-yogis/

My scoliotic body isn't a fan of repetitive horizontal conditioning/animalistic/all fours core work anyway, although for the wrist issue in itself, I hope this might help you out!!
Cheers!!

THANK YOU! I am going to check into those products. I also just got done reading the first article with the tips and I am going to re-check my form to see if I am in the correct positioning. I would love to be able to get through the ab routine feeling, well, my abs and not my wrists, lol!

I swear by WAGS - they have helped with my wrist pain - even with just stretching and having to have your palms on the floor. I've had two surgery's on my left wrist - ganglion removed and a ligament attached from falling of my bike - and one surgery on my right wrist - a ganglion removed. Plus having 3 surgery's on my right index finger with a bone graft from my wrist, made things harder.

I don't have wrist issues, but I just don't want to do this one again. Major dread will prevent me.

I am also a proponent of WAGS. My only complaint about them is that sometimes the fabric between the fingers cut into my skin. But this is just once in a great while and mainly with PiYo movement. I am going to check out the wedge mentioned above (although a wedge may not work with PiYo movement?)

Another thing that helped tremendously was doing a few minutes of wrist exercises several times a day. I do them while sitting, while being on hold, while on the phone, etc. Four moves in particular helped me - so much so that I don't need to use the WAGS...but still do. If you are interested in the four moves, let me know and I will *try* to describe them. Otherwise 2 moves are from Lastics Stretch and 2 moves are from Gravity Yoga: Twists, Wrists, Ankles.

Good Luck.

I have some pretty bad arthritis in my left wrist and hand. I watched the Bonus Abs segment and was truly saddened and angry that I probably won't be able to do any of those exercises. And the exercises in the workouts that use the wrists and walking planks and whatnot - ugh. When will Cathe get older and weaker like the rest of us? :(

I also have a number of wrist issues, and ended up stopping the FS core segment in the middle and switching to something else. I've tried WAGS gloves in the past and they didn't work for me. But I am curious to try the cork wedge and some of those modifications. Thanks for the info everyone!

Last edited:
This is my new favorite ab workout. Most other ab workouts hurt my back this one doesn't. Your wrist will get stronger just give it time and take some breaks. Some of it you can do from you elbows or just keep both hands on the floor and do the legs.

I have some pretty bad arthritis in my left wrist and hand. I watched the Bonus Abs segment and was truly saddened and angry that I probably won't be able to do any of those exercises. And the exercises in the workouts that use the wrists and walking planks and whatnot - ugh. When will Cathe get older and weaker like the rest of us? :(

I think since cathe is a professional she may just be more condition then the rest of us. She has had knee surgery so she has had her issues. Brenda is around her age and has had a total hip replacement. They probably do have some aches and pains. They just choose to work through them.

I know for myself when I had my bilateral ankle injury. I was told I would never run again and never no more impact. Well that's been 7 years ago. I'm running and high impact. I have good days and I have days where my feet hurt like hell. I wake up most morning hurting. I just got word that after years of this mess. I'm going to be trying a new therapy with promising result SO i'm hoping this time next year I may not have foot pain.

even with this new set I can never do slider jumping jack I get shooting pain in my feet and too many regular jumping jack do the same thing. They are a cathe move that I know I will substitute.. So I do get your disappointment

anyway just don't' give up

I think since cathe is a professional she may just be more condition then the rest of us. She has had knee surgery so she has had her issues. Brenda is around her age and has had a total hip replacement. They probably do have some aches and pains. They just choose to work through them.

I know for myself when I had my bilateral ankle injury. I was told I would never run again and never no more impact. Well that's been 7 years ago. I'm running and high impact. I have good days and I have days where my feet hurt like hell. I wake up most morning hurting. I just got word that after years of this mess. I'm going to be trying a new therapy with promising result SO i'm hoping this time next year I may not have foot pain.

even with this new set I can never do slider jumping jack I get shooting pain in my feet and too many regular jumping jack do the same thing. They are a cathe move that I know I will substitute.. So I do get your disappointment

anyway just don't' give up
I loved your post;) I'm 38 and I get real frustrated when I can't go at a very deep doing squats because of my knees and lower back. It's hard to just drop down doing hip thrust mountain climbers I have to put my hands on my high step when I do those.

[QUOTE/=When will Cathe get older and weaker like the rest of us? :([/QUOTE]

Had to laugh because when initially following a FitSplit I noticed gal on the left with the long ponytail and was confused what DVD I had in because thought it was Rhonda (believe that was her name) from many years ago and because Cathe has not changed one bit LOL. I hope she never gets older and weaker so I can work out to her videos until I am modifying everything from the floor haha (p.s. for anyone struggling w a routine I would just encourage you to modify that's all I have been doing for years "something for everyone" :)

I like sliding side to side with the discs, but no way can I do disc jumping jacks either!!! I can get my legs out, but
No way are they sliding in at the same time... There's gotta be an easier way!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.