Laminate Floor for workout?

robin8r

Cathlete
Does anyone work out on a laminate floor? We used it in our daughters' bedrooms and I love the look. My spouse thinks my workouts would be to tough on the flooring and is hesitant to change. :-(

I wondered if an area rug or floor cushion mat would protect it and allow me new flooring AND continued workouts! I'd love to get rid of carpeting!:p

Thanks!
Terri

Actually I am getting ready to put laminate in my workout room. I currently have carpet too.

Laminate is acutally very durable and should hold up just fine. Real wood will actually probably show wear faster.

I was also thinking about the proper flooring to include all types of workouts - kickbox, step, and weights. I know my carpet didnt hold up under kickboxing pivots, and was tougher to balance and pivot smoothlhy. I want a floor that is kind to my body, but resistant to wear. Is laminate a better pick?

My DH sells hardwood floors and laminates for a living. We just had a new house built, and we put an expensive hardwood on the main level and a cheap laminate in the basement, where I workout. DH felt the laminate would hold up well with my workouts and all the related equipment. He also chose one that has a foamy-cushion attached to the underneath of it, so the floor has a smidgen of give. It was a relatively inexpensive floor. We moved in in May, and so far the laminate still looks great, despite my 6-day a week workout schedule. It's held up much better than the hardwood on the main level, in fact.

I don't put a mat on the laminate while I'm working out, but when I'm done using the space, I put a small area rug on it.

Sandra

Sandra,

Thank you so much for the feedback! Now I just need to start working on the spouse!:)

Terri

We have had our laminate wood flooring for the past 7 years and it still looks great. I work out on it 5 to 6 times a week (well, sometimes it's only 2 or 3 times per week :) ) and I have 4 dogs and two rambuncious boys. We also have the "whisper walk" underneath.

I wouldn't do anything else than Pergo, I love the look of hardwood, especially bamboo flooring but it wouldn't hold up in my house. Before the Pergo I was working out on carpet and hurt myself a few times.

The do have to put a mat underneath my step, otherwise the step will "wander around" the living room.

Have a great day!

Carola

Sandra,
Could you tell us the brand and model# of laminate your DH chose for the flooring? I was thing of putting something like that in a room we are redoing. Thanks.

>
>The do have to put a mat underneath my step, otherwise the
>step will "wander around" the living room!
>
>Carola

Unfortunately, the wandering step is NOT a safe workout modification, is it???

Terri,

Hi!

My husband built me a workout room in our basement and he put laminate flooring in for me, since that is what I wanted. It actually has held up very well..considering that it has had a lot of wear and tear. I have a few spots where I dropped my weights, and there are some nicks in the floor..but other than that it looks great. It is easy to maintain and looks great, I do wish it had a bit more give. Sometimes it gets wet and a tad slippery when I am bustin my behind, but I just wipe it off and keep going.

:)

Sandra
What brand of floor did you install in your basement? We have a huge basement (2800 sq. ft) and are planning on finishing 1/2 of it. Doing most of the work ourselves (minus heating and electrical) to save labor costs. Thanks.
Valerie

Hi again,

I had to phone DH at work and ask him to cough up the details on the floor. He said the company is called Uniclick, and ours is "plastic maple" with built-in underlay. It retails, in Canada, at $2.09 a square foot, which is considered a mid-range price.

Has anyone looked into the flooring that Cathe uses? She used to have their logo stamped on the studio floor - it's called Taraflex or something, isn't it?

HTH,
Sandra

We have laminate floor where I work out and i do put a mat under the step to protect the floor and to keep the step from wandering. so far so good, and I am glad to hear that this works for others as I too, have often wondered about it!

I have consideered putting a laminate flooring on top of my puzzle mats for extra cushioning. I think the laminate would be easier for pivots etc.

No, a wandering step is not safe, that's why I put the mat underneath. I am sure what your question is?

Carola

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.