Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/17

This morning I did 4 Day Split Kickbox and abs, 44 minutes, 267 calories, heart rate average, 125, max 158. I have not done this in so long. I forgot how much I enjoy it. Took my car in and they are going to contact Chevrolet to take care of the warranty end of it since it is still under warranty. Getting it serviced, oil change etc.. while it is there. I really hope it doesn't take long. Yesterday it started right up for me. I parked under a tree to shade the car just in case I was stuck sitting in it waiting for help if it wouldn't start. Needless to say the birds did a job on it while I was in the store. I needed stuff for the dinner today.

Deb, I hope you feel better soon. I wonder if the Coop Kombucha is non-carbonated. It is some work to make, but once you get started you can keep some brewing while you driink the last batch and save the new baby scoby in the refrigerator for a new batch. Also you can reuse the mother for awhile. I had ordered a starter kit at first.

Hi Everyone. Today was D17--Legs. My time was 56 minutes, 249 calories burned, average heart rate 112 and maximum heart rate 147. I really these lower body workouts afterwards!

Cathe just posted that she will be on QVC tonight with the Fit Tower. It will be a good price for someone looking to buy one.

Diane Sue, I love the 4 Day Split Kickbox. I saw that Chameleon Cold Brew that you mentioned and I was going to try it but the sale price ended yesterday. It was $9.99 at Publix which was more than I wanted to spend. It would have been the perfect thing for the no power days.

Deb, so sorry that you are not doing well. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Hello to Valerie, Lori, and Judy.

Cathe sent an email, it wasn't a post. My mistake!

Last edited:
Here is a link to Brew Doctor. This one does not have carbonation in it. I have tried the lemon ginger cayenne.

Valerie, I made the like Panera Aisian Chicken Salad. It is really good. I like the chicken maranade. I could just use chicken like that because it tastes so good. I Had just enough sesame seeds left to top my salad for lunch. I forgot the cilantro when I went to the store, but am fine with that. I would not have used much. I didn't do the won ton crisps. Originally I though maybe I could figure out how to crisp rice noodles, but decided to just use the almonds for something crisp. I used light olive oil instead of canola, which I never use, and coconut palm sugar for the sugar, but a bit less than called for. I will definitely make this again.

Carolyn, to bad they didn't still have it on sale. It seems most stores carry the larger bottle. The smaller one usually runs 6.99 and is half as much cost wise. Once in awhile I find it for 5.99. The larger bottle is more economical. I can get it at Homeland, Sprouts, and the large Super Target with the market in it. I don't go there anymore. It is out of the way for me. I used to shop there when I would take grandchildren to school in the mornings.

Deb, hope you feel better soon.

I am glad you liked the salad. I thought the chicken seasoning was very good too. I used sliced almonds and some wontons, but I remembered to cut the package into sections before I froze it, so I can take out a small portion to thaw rather than the whole package. mandarin oranges in a can are not something I like because they are all ( as far as I can tell) made in china. electronics are one thing..... but I'm not comfortable eating food produced in china. . I will switch to fresh mandarins as soon as they are in season. I used avocado oil. it is a nice neutral flavored oil with a high smoke point so works well and is not too expensive at Costco.

we mt biked this morning. it was a little wet and it doesn't take much to make the tree roots slippery. I skidded off roots several times and retreated to trails that were not too "rooty". I do OK when it's dry, but it gets challenging to ride across them without crashing when they get wet. 2 hrs 15 minutes. they will close the trails soon so they don't get badly rutted and then we will stick to roads.

I am having a very hard time getting used to life without our kitty. I miss him so much!. he was always talkative and would always greet us at the door and sit with us whenever we were home. I think we will have to look for another sooner than I thought.

Valerie. I hadn't thought of avocado oil. I always keep it around. My husband does not like it when I cook his eggs in avocado oil. I too thought maybe even tangerines with the skins peeled off after peeling would work. I have done that with grapefruit and oranges before. It is kind of tedious though. I understand how you feel without your kitty.

They called and we went to pick up my car. We ended up leaving it. They did not fix it. They said they need to see it when the code is showing. They said have it towed by GM so they could look then. We left it so they could drive it a few days and maybe it would do the same error message and not start for them. It is out of warranty in November. This is upsetting.

Good evening ladies!

I am back and I am exhausted. Wanted to post a couple times when I went to bed to catch up but pretty much fell asleep as soon as I laid down. I was that tired. Never worked out at all. However, everyday I was just short of 20,000 steps except Monday I ended the day with 20,126. So not feeling too guilty about not working out. :)

The conference went great. Yesterday all our flights were delayed due to the weather in the Northeast. I ended up staying one more night to make sure there were no issues. If there were then I would be there to help our employees if they needed it - instead of leaving them high and dry.

Deb...sorry you are not feeling well.

Carolyn...too funny with the coffee. French press and manual grinder sounds like it would get the job done. Black coffee drinker here too. Funny I do not cold coffee either. Needs to be super hot for me. Good luck with the french press. I also read Cathe will be on QVC. Good for her! Tomorrow's workout looks great and I hope to do it later in the day.

Diane Sue...hope you neck feels better quickly. Yes I would pass on those test if I experienced what you did.

Valerie...good you did not crash due to those slippery roots! I would have been flying off my bike! It took us a really long time to get over Chester so I feel for you. I still miss him a lot.

Have a great night all. I am relazing with a glass of wine waiting for my husband to get home. GiGi went ballistic!! She was soooo happy to see me. Was really cute. I am off tomorrow. Need a "ME" day!

Hey Lori welcome back. I would say 20,000 steps pretty well covers your days workout. You sound like you take very good care of your employees... hope they appreciate you. at least Gigi does that's what I miss so much.... Puss was always happy to see us too.

Ha ha I am pretty good at getting my foot/feet on the ground when I skid. mt bikes have a much lower bar so you don't smack yourself in the crotch all the time.... quite different from road bikes. I haven't actually fallen in a long time. this stops forward momentum though. if it's uphill, it's hard to get pedaling again. the roots are slick, and they are always at an angle( mother nature is evil sometimes) so you can't hit them at 90 degrees. I skidded on 3 sets of roots in a row and pushed the bike up the rest of that section. it is really no less work, maybe more, than riding, and once I get nervous I walk until I feel better. DH was having ski problems too so it was conditions.

diane sue that's the thing.. the mandarins in a can are so fast & easy, I wish they were made in America.... or almost any country but china. I don't know if the oranges are grown there or just packaged there. If you use them, look at the can. I have never found any except from china. this is the only dish I use them in.

Valerie-I understand how you feel. :( They leave such a void.

Lori-welcome back! I bet you are exhausted! I think 20,000 steps is enough to count as a workout.

Lori, it is good to have you back here. I think with all of those steps you are good as far as working out. I don't get 10,000 a day with working out. That was really good of you to stay an extra day for the others. I bet it is nice to be home and sit back and relax. Enjoy your day off.

Valerie, I looked and the Dole mandarin oranges I purchased are a product of China and manufactured for Dole Foods in CA. So I am guessing they are from china. I usually avoid foods from some other countries. I saw some cartons of Macadamia milk at Sprouts, but did not purchase because it was from Taiwan. Other countries do not have the standards that we have. No telling what is allowed in the food. I am thinking of what other type of fruit might work. I wonder how it would be with fresh blueberries. I have eaten Aisian salads with a raspberry dressing before. Maybe raspberries would work, except they are kind of seedy.

Deb where you this morning? Hope you are ok. Check in and let us know

I don't think blueberries would do it for me. fresh mandarins are showing up in stores already. have always liked oranges with Asian food. More later....

Had to get up and moving. I love oranges with all Asian food. just seems to go together to me. were hoping to bike again today but too wet so far so maybe an indoor workout.

Last edited:
Today I did X Train Legs mix 2 standing, barre, all & chair, floor. I wore 2.5# ankle weights for the barre work, went a bit heavier than Cathe on the weights, held an 8# dumbbell on my inner thigh as the option offered. I got a terrible calorie burn from Fit Bit. This is where it gets frustrating. I should wear something else to monitor for weights. Workout was 71 minutes, heart rate 92 average, 130 max, Fit Bit 155 calories. Cathe workout manager gives 482 calories, met 6.5. Map My Fitness gives 417 calories. I ended up taking it down to a met 4 and using 296 calories for my calorie burn. With Polar I was always closer to 300 calories with the X train workouts in the past.

Valerie, I like the oranges too. I sort of thought of pineapple, but it has a lot stronger taste than the oranges. I love fresh pineapple though.

Yes, Deb, where are you today. I checked at 7 and you were not here and wondered if you was still feeling poorly.

Good Morning,
Today I did RWH Cardio Slam with low impact modifications and the Bonus Abs. Workout time was 63 minutes and 419 calories burned. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate 149.

I am having technology issues today. I installed the Apple Update for my iPad and now it won't connect to my network. I keep getting an error message when I enter the password. I know that I am entering it is correctly, but I decided to go back to it later and just use the desktop. This happen once before after an update and it is frustrating.

Lori, welcome back. It sounds like you did just fine with getting exercise even though it wasn't the workout that you planned.

Valerie, I never realized that canned mandarin oranges are a product of China until you mentioned it. I try to avoid food from China as well.

Deb, hope you are feeling okay today.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Good afternoon,

I had a terrible night's sleep, so did not get around to the computer until now.

Carolyn, great job on STS! Thanks for the positive thoughts. Hope you got the technology issue straightened out.

Judy, thank you.

Diane Sue, that's terrible about your car. Why did they have you bring it in thinking you could pick it up? They never explained about seeing the code? the salad sounds great!. I like your substitutions. I only use avocado or olive oil.

Valerie, thanks for the well wishes. This has not been a good summer for us. It is really hard to lose a pet. Sometimes like others have said, it helps when you have 2 of them. The house does not seem so empty. I still miss all of my dogs, but eventually the good memories have replaced the raw hurt that is there when it first happens.

Lori, I think all those steps could definitely count as a workout, if not 2! Hope you are having a great day off...and are able to get some rest.

Take care,

Good evening ladies,

A very nice day today...started off with a dentist appt for the start of 2 crowns. Was no big deal. My dentist has a beautiful office and makes you feel so relaxed. Did a couple of errands then came home to workout. Did a BBS Tramp, then 2 quick bellicon workouts. Total times was 48 mins / 343 cal. Felt great to bounce! Going to try and take GiGi for a run in the morning. She will be so happy!

Diane Sue...nice workout today and yes I can see how the low burn would be fustrating. I know my Apple watch has flaws and may or may not be completely accurate but it is very consistant and that helps me keep track.

Carolyn..hope you get your Ipad corrected. I received a notification from my husbands IT Department that there are issues with the recent update. I will look it up and let you know. I was away and just quickly read it. I am sure Apple is working on this fix.

Deb...so sorry for the nights sleep. That really is hard especially when you memtioned you were not feeling well. Lack of sleep really gets you. Hope you get the needed rest tonight.

Have a great night to all!

Good morning,

Had a great night’s sleep last night…I didn’t even hear John get up with the dogs.

Lori, sounds like you had a nice day off....even with a dentist appointment. :)...I bet Gigi was very excited to get back to her "walks" with you.

Hi to everyone...

No definite plans for me this weekend. I had to change our tickets to see the play that my niece is currently doing at a local theater….had tickets for last Sunday…no way I could leave the house, so changed to this Sunday. I hope I can make it this time.

Take care,

Deb, I am glad that you gotva great night sleep. I am sure it was long overdue. The play ought to be fun. I was pretty upset when we went to the car service department and they didnt fix my car. Isnt that what they are there for? They said they have to see it while the code light is on. That generally means my car is not starting :( I have had it stay on before though. It is bad when i am finding myself praying that it wont start so they fix it. I dont want to find myself stranded somewhere. We left it for them to drive around for a few days. The fact that they told me to have it towed by GM when it happens did notbset well with me.

Deb glad to hear you got a good nights rest. that is such a huge factor in how the day goes!

diane sue, do they at least offer you a free rental car to use while they fuss with yours? My neighbor had an Escalade ( fairly expensive car) for a while and the service dept was always befuddled with electronics issues and she finally traded it in because it was always a guessing game. if the tire pressure sensor went of, would she be able to continue to drive the car even if it erroneously said tire pressure was low? it was not clear if it would stop you from driving. I don't know where the real problem was, but it was disheartening to watch them juggle ideas to try to explain things. I usually went with her to drop the car off. Trying to read manuals to get explanations is very frustrating since they seem meant to obfuscate and confuse rather than explain anything. I personally think the electronics are advancing and changing so fast that a lot is being learned on the fly. we are finding our new car has to be 5 feet from the garage door before it will work the opener. we have 2 openers, one works as you would expect but the other, the side this car gets parked on, works reluctantly, and won't work at all if it's not pointed at the door. so if you back out and turn around to go up the driveway, the door won't close. the older cars had no trouble but no one can explain it. :confused::rolleyes:

I did 35 min on the elliptical at level 10, the ab workout from high reps, and a few sets of knee push ups yesterday. Does anyone happen to know if "steps" on an elliptical are considered like walking "steps" of 10, 000 per day? weather cleared off, but too late for us to ride. we will road ride this morning.

Today I did STS D 18--Back and Biceps. Total time 1 hour and 10 minutes and 244 calories burned. Average heart rate 103 and maximum heart rate 141. I just can't lift heavy with the barbell for curls. I switched to dumbbells and it was fine. I am pleased with the progress I am making with using heavier weights.

Lori, the Apple update definitely has problems. My iPad connected to our wireless network later in the day yesterday without me doing anything. This is exactly what happened last time. Today it is working fine for the most part, but some pages are slow to load (like this website). I know that Apple will get it corrected soon so I am not worried.

Deb, glad that you were able to sleep last night. I can't function at all if I don't get enough rest.

Valerie, I made the Asian chicken salad for lunch yesterday and I really like it. I used avocado oil and subbed honey for sugar. Next time I will probably use less sweetener.

My new french press coffee maker was delivered yesterday and I just made a pot of coffee in it. Coffee is delicious and not gritty at all. I used a coarse grind.

Hello to everyone and enjoy your day.

Today I sat here looking at my plan and trying to make up my mind too long!! I ended up going with the plan of some cardio and X Train Burn Sets Chest Back and shoulders. I started with Cross Fire Time saver mix triple tabata, 34 minutes (actual 28 but I ran down stairs twice for laundry and the dog needing out) heart rate average 132, max 172, 189 calories, 2,518 steps. I then did X Train Burn sets planned, 52 minutes, 225 calories, heart rate average 101, max 132, 1,164 steps. Total time 86 minutes, calories 414. I accidentally put in the wrong dvd. Instead of burn sets I put in the other Chest, back and shoulders and did the warm up and push ups before I realized she was not starting with chest! SO, I skipped the burn set of push ups.
Weights today was kind of low since I did not want to irritate my shoulder and neck.
Dumbbell bench press 2 DB 15#,15#,15# x 10,10,14 reps
chest flies 2 DB 15#,15#,15# x 12,10,14 reps
Incline dumbbell bench press 2 DB 15#,17.5#,17.5# x 10,10,12 reps
one arm row 30#,30#,30#x 10,10,12 reps
dumbbell rows both arms, 25#,25#,25# x1 0,10,11 reps
seated rear delts 2 DB 15#,12#,12# x 10,10,10 reps
superman 24 reps
standing overhead press 2 DB 15#,15#, 15# X 10,1010, reps
single arm lateral raise 10#,10#,10# x 10,10,12 reps
aingle rear delt fly 10#,10#,10# x 10,10,12 reps
scare crows tubing.

I spent so much time trying to discover problems with #1 my freezer that is in the garage. I defrosted it (it is not frost free) and it started building up tons of frost and dripping at the top of it. It leaks out the corner of the seal, but it still freezes the food. I removed the food to the side by side in the garage that doesn't always work well and defrosted again making sure there was not a bit of moisture in it and it is doing the same thing with no food in it. I think we might need to replace the seal. It is 3 years old. Then the tread climber is giving my husband problems and I keep getting it backup and running, but now the treadles seem to be rubbing against each other. I have search all over for help. I think it will be hard finding a repair person. It is 1 year past it's 3 year warranty :( Then there is my car !! I really am bummed because my husband has been so good over the last year with using the Tread Climber.

Valerie, no, they did not offer me a car to drive. They just offered to drive mine around. I hate all of those electronic devices. My husband doesn't use the garage door opener in his Lincoln. He just has the regular hand held one in his car. I kept trying to set the seat in it yesterday for me and it kept going back to his settings when I would push setting #2. My Chevy Spark does not have a lot of the extras, not even the key fob that locks the doors. So, go figure that there was something in there that they added.

Carolyn, that is great that you are seeing strength gains with STS. You are making nice progress through it. I am glad that you like your french press coffee maker. I liked having one so much I persisted in replacing every time I broke the glass beaker till I found that stainless steel one. I do recommend you don't immerse the lid to it though. I just wipe my lid clean because it seems to get water inside it and when I pour coffee water comes out of the lid. I wipe it and set it on a towel to dry.

We did our 26 mile ride this morning. a little longer than usual but we did the full distance.

we have used the programmable garage door part of the rear view mirror for this car and the previous Outback. the Outback worked fine, you could click it as you came down the driveway, and it also worked fine after you backed out and got the car turned uphill. the new one does not work until we are literally 6 feet from the door and not at all if we are turned around. people steal garage door openers and then your house is compromised, so we use the integrated ones now. people were breaking into cars, stealing the openers and the registration at trailheads, going to the address and burglarizing the house. someone stole an opener off our lawnmower! they drove by and tested it and the door opened when we were home, so we figured out one was missing and re programmed it. always something!

diane sue that sounds like the seal on the freezer not sealing completely. make sure it is level. if it's leaning, it might make the door not as secure. mine is not FF either, but then freezer burn is not such an issue. I have not looked for service on home exercise gear in a long time. we have 2 Precor devices, both needed repair at one point, but were both under warranty. it's so disappointing to have to pitch things and buy new because no parts or service people are out there.

Carolyn glad you liked the chicken salad. I have made it multiple times!. I agree, you are doing well with STS and gaining strength. Take a look at an Easy curl bar. I can't use a straight bar but the angled hold on an Easy curl work for me. I could tell immediately. I think honey is sweeter in sugar when it's dissolved in liquid, and its not much sugar so I just use it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.