Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/23

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Kylee is doing better, she is walking around, not doing stairs yet, or jumping up on things. I have to do warm compresses on all the shaved parts of her body, for the bruising, so her skin holds up. I guess the pressure wounds, where the other dog held her but the skin did not break, are just, if not more dangerous than the broken skins ones. It looks like the dog that got Kylee ( and me) was vaccinated for rabies in June of 2016...so a little less than a month late for her vaccination. I am not sure what that is going to mean. The people said they are turning her into their vet ( which I took to mean having her destroyed)...but I told them they better wait until this whole rabbies vaccine issue is resolved, or they could be in real trouble.

It has been very upsetting for us right now....still not sure what it going to happen with this whole situation...

Take care,

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday I felt like I did a Diane Sue workout! :). FT Total Body followed up with Cathe Live Birthday Bash. Total time....was an 1 hour and 37 mins! 617 cal. :) This Live workout was a lot of fun! Had 3 segments... Started off with Kickbox, then Hiit, then HiLo. It was my intent to just do the Kickbox but I just when with it. I loved the kickboxing in this and will do this section again when I want a little more to a workout. The hi low was fun too but I was getting tired at this point. Instead of stopping I did the hi lo on my jumpsport. With some modifications it worked well and I finished.

Deb...so glad Kylee is up and about and healing. Poor little thing. This is all so sad.

Diane Sue....I find I have shifted to some what lighter weights too when doing certain heavy weight moves. Just not worth the injury. My left shoulder flares at any given moment and I know what works with it and what doesn't. So I may do pushups elevated or on knees, lighter for upright rows, standing mountain climbers. I find I am not as hard on my body as I used to be and you know what? I think my muscle tone/physique looks the better for it.

Caitlin...good on the weight gain. Your weight sounds good for your frame. Beach or pool sounds really great to me.

Thank you all for the anniversary wishes. Since we did not go into Boston Friday evening, my husband surprised me with a takeout order from my favorite restaurant yesterday. He was out doing errands so stopped by and bought me my favorite chicken pot pie with all the fixings! It was very sweet. Good thing I had a 600 calorie workout yesterday!

Deb so good to hear she's up and about!! Are her stitches in areas she can reach? Or all on her back? Just thinking ..... when she has started healing , to keep a close eye. Our kitty had an small abscess removed and when it was almost healed he pulled the stitches out. So they stapled it and he pulled those out too . When wounds heal, they tighten and must itch. So ended up with an Elizabethan collar. If kylee starts paying too much attention to an area, you might need to collar her. That was no fun for anyone! Cats are so flexible they can contort to reach any place.

Caitlin, i have had a few allergic rashes. I have to be so careful what i use on myself and sometimes i have had no clue what caused it.

Deb, i feel so sad for you and all that has happened. At least the people are willing to do something. Ii think some of the problem is that people get the pit bull or mix thinking good watch dog and just leave them outside with little attention, if they kept them inside with the humans, they mightblearn to not be so vicious. At least thevowners would get to know the personality of their dog and noticevif something was off atvall.

Lori, that did look like one of my long workouts that just keeps going. The birthday party workout sounds like a fun one. That was so nice of your husband to bring you chicken pot pie. I love chicken pot pie.

Valerie, i think it is hard to tell most digs expeessions. Although i do think when Gertie sees people and other dogs it islike she is happy and would like to play. She gets all bouncy and almost seems to be grinning. Shevtun s outside and sticks her nose under theedge of the fence to see if the neighbors pup isout. They youch noses and i would bet it would be a big romp if they gotvtogether.
We had to get rid of a german shepherd once too. She bit the head of a cat off. They are very territorial and a one family dog. Not very fruendly to anyone else. My daughter wanted one and i talked her out of it.

Deb-I'm glad that Kylee is doing better. That was such a horrible thing to happen. It's good that the people are cooperating at least. I hope they are planning on paying your vet bill too.

Some dogs get a mean look when they are planning something bad. some look like they're smiling while they tear something apart. pit bulls always look like they're smiling to me even if they're killing something. shepherds I can't tell. lots of breeds you can tell .... but not all. I would not keep a dog that ever attacked a cat. it would be put down immediately.

my sister has a shepherd and it is not very friendly to other people. it has nipped more than one person. of course, she didn't train it at all so the dog does whatever it wants. I would never put up with a dog that snapped at anyone, unless it was provoked.

did a 25 mile ride this morning. I finally wore my HRM watch and chest strap. worked fine. as I thought, I'm not working very hard even when I'm riding 17 mph. this is a pretty flat ride, some headwinds, but my heart rate on a small hill got to 118, with mostly around 108-110. we ride at that rate for most of the 2 hours 5 min it took us, so it is "cardio", but much milder than I thought. someone who doesn't ride often would probably run higher, but this isn't in the range I want to be. I thought I'd be maybe low 120's. can't realistically go much faster than 17 mph because the roads are rough, there is some traffic and cross streets. I have no idea how those guys in the tour de france can average 29 mph!

Last edited:
Good evening ladies,

Today I wanted a light workout so started off with a BBS Dance Tramp workout that was about 18 mins. I love these dance workouts whether they are the Tramp ones or Floor as they do both.They are just fun. I then did a couple of quick Bellicon bounce workouts. Total time was 42 mins / 313 cal. Tomorrow I am starting p90x with my son. Going to try and finish the last week of FT workouts but not sure if this will happen. Wanted to wait a week on P90x but my son really wanted to start. He is going to use my Fit Tower for pullups and I am going to use my jumpsport with the bar. I am looking forward to working out with him. We did this together 5 years ago and enjoyed it.

Diane Sue...I knew you would appreciate my workout time! I do not have the p90x+ workouts, just the basics. We plan to stay as true as we can to these workouts. The only changes we plan are with the Yoga x and Synergistics. They are so long so I have made a premix cutting them down a bit. Both will still be about 50 mins.

Deb...I agree with Judy that they should be paying ALL Vet bills. Absolutely!

Hve a great night all!

Valerie, I think a ride that long at 118 would be pretty tiring by the end. 29 miles an hour is fast for a bike ride. Plus you put in a lot of extra work into your rides. I just wouldn't be able to enjoy a dog that I could not trust. I don't understand why people keep them when they are like that.

Lori, I have all 3 P90X workouts and P90X+ . I think you will have fun doing it with your son. Much more encouragement that way. I used to do the first part of the P90X yoga to about 30 minutes and then had a stopping point and moved to the last 15 minutes. It was just way too long. I found myself watching the clock through all those push up vinyasa, down dog, up dog segments. It seemed to go on and on.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I hardly got any sleep the night before, same thing last night. I am hoping that I get to speak with the Dog/Animal control people today to see what, if anything they are doing about the dog that attacked Kylee. I left 2 messages for them to call me, but of course it was a Saturday...

Lori, I need to go over and see what the Live Birthday Bash was all about....That was so nice of Bob to get your favorite dinner and bring it home. That's great that you and your son will be doing P90X together. ( I liked it except for the yoga....like Diane said...waaayyy too long.

Valerie, yes, some of her stitches are in areas that she can reach and it is a challenge to keep her from licking etc those areas. I will see today when we visit the vet if we need to put a collar on her. That will be awful for her....she is so down and hurting already...this will be mortifying for her. I find that I don't burn many calories when bike riding either. Maybe if it was a mountain bike and a lot of up hill riding, but the straight path riding doesn't do much.

Diane Sue, I agree about how some people ignore dogs and their temperaments.. This dog was adopted from the city shelter, which tells me something...I also do not like German Shepherds...I know that there are nice ones out there, but they scare me for some reason.

Judy, yes, the people said they would pay all the vet bills, but I don't think they have any idea what this is going to cost when all is done.

Take care,

diane sue those were some statistics from the tour de france, the averaging 29 mph. I have gotten up to 22 mph before but frankly that starts to get scary. those are skinny little tires and if something jumps out in front of you, it will not be pretty!! we don't ride in a vacuum, and things run across the trail like deer, coyotes, dogs, and children. there is a speed limit of 15 mph. there are sections we exceed 15. watch shows max heart rate, time, distance. I mostly wanted heart rate. it uses a chest strap and works nicely. I was surprised at the 110 beats per minute though. I thought I was working harder. It feels like we are cranking pretty hard, not just "rolling along" leisurely. even 118 is pretty wimpy! mountain biking definitely is more of an interval training activity

Deb, I'm glad you already thought about a collar. I agree, terrible for everyone. However, it took our cat about 1 second to pull out his stitches, and a few days later to pull out the staples. so it was back to the vet to re-staple and put on a collar. they re-did it with me holding him, and it was a pretty daunting procedure. I can't imagine watching a big open wound on my back get stapled together without anesthetic! He didn't even wiggle! we were amazed he could reach the area since it looked impossible. thinking you might be able to get ahead of Kylee and have a collar ready to go if she needs it, especially if the stitches are in reachable areas. I don't know if anyone uses collars just at night?

Lori I think that's great you can share a workout with your son. can't be easy to get something you both will like. I also would prefer a meal at home. I'm not thrilled with restaurants most of the time especially if traveling far in traffic is part of it.

Good Morning,
I have been having some internet issues but everything seems fine now. I am beginning to think that it is an Apple software problem, but I will check on that later. Today I did RWH HiiT Circuit Upper Body. It was scheduled for Saturday, but I didn't work out Saturday or Sunday. My workout time was 59 minutes with 341 calories burned. Average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 160. I used Cathe's weight for some moves but went lower for anything that involved shoulders and triceps.

Lori, a belated happy anniversary to you. While I enjoy a restaurant meal from time to time, I would be okay with celebrating at home. That's what we did for our anniversary in April.

Deb, I hope Kylee continues to get better. It must be very hard for her. I looked at the Live Birthday Bash and I think you will enjoy it. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like fun.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, Valerie, and Caitlin.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Muscle Up #2 lower body and arms, 35 minutes, 141 calories, heart rate 102 avg/ max 125. I followed this with one of her older workouts, Cardio Sculpt Fitness mix, cardio, 1 set lower(very brief 4 minutes) and abs, 38 minutes, 233 calories, avg hert rate 121/ max 153. This one was always kind of a fun workout. Total time 73 minutes, 374 calories.
Muscle Meltdown 2 sets of each superset before moving to the next
Sumo Squats 25's 8 reps, 8 reps
Bridges 25# 16 reps, 16 reps

alternating liunges counts as 1 rep, 25's 8reps, 8reps
stiff legged deadlift 35's 8 reps, 8reps

curtsy squats 25's 8 reps, 8resp
praying frog squats no weight 16 reps, 16 reps

flip curl/ pledge curl 20's, 17.5's 8 reps curl 8 reps pledge both sets
skull crushers 15's, 8 reps, 17.5's 8 reps

seated side curls 20's 8reps, 8reps
overhead triceps extensions 25# 8 reps, 30# 8 reps

hammer curls 20's 8 reps, 8 reps
kickbacks 15's 8 reps, 8reps

Deb, my heart goes out to you. I hope this is not too stressful for Kylee and the collar doesn't have to be used.

Valerie, I hadn't though of it , but that could be dangerous travelling at high speeds on the bicycle. I don't know why it is that sometimes a person feels like they are putting out a lot of effort and the heart rate monitor shows a lower reading. How do you do on the spin bike?

Carolyn, nice work on RWH upper circuit today.

Good evening ladies!

This morning Nicholas and I started P90x and it was fun working out with him. The workout was Chest and Back and Ab Ripper. so many pushups and pullups. Nicholas used the Fit Tower and I used my Jumpsport bar. Both worked really well for us. When we did this 5 years ago we used bands for the pullups. Today was much harder. Tonight when I came home I did a 25 min Bellicon bounce. My son could not believe I was working out again! Ha! We ladies are tough! Tomorrow is Plyometrics. After reviewing I should have no problem doing this one (thank you Cathe). Nicholas will have a tough time with this. But he is doing it so that is great.

Diane Sue...I also have all 3 of the P90x's. I never did the 2nd. It was given to me and after reviewing I knew it was not for me. I liked the 3rd but never did a rotation. Just a workout here and there. I have KCM's Muscle up and think I only did it once.

Deb...it is good your neighbors offered to pay the Vet Bils. It may have to come from there home insurance.

Valerie...22 miles an hour. Wow that is fast! Going down hill I remember gaining speed and it was always so scary for me. That is why I did not want to make him wait a week so I could finish the FT rotation. I knew I would love working out with him and we both enjoyed P90x before.

Carolyn..glad your internet issues resolved. I am the same way with Cathe's weights. Sometimes I can go heavier but need to reduce with some of her shoulder and expecially overhead triceps!

Have a great night all!

diane sue my heart rate gets up on a spin bike, easily into mid to upper 140's. I don't go above that. It gets up on the mountain bike too. the thing about road biking is you can pedal at the same level of exertion and go faster or not so fast depending on uphill/downhill, wind speed etc. you can be pedaling at the same exertion and going 10 mph or 17 mph, depending on other factors. I keep the speed around 12-15 most of the time, but if it's downhill and I know it's "controllable", I've gone up to 22. I must know the area to know it's safe or 22 is too fast.

we rode with cousin and wife today and somehow she cut back in place behind me and hit my rear tire with her bike. I didn't know what happened but stayed upright. she crashed but not badly. she is not a strong rider yet. I was pleased that I didn't topple although she knocked me off the pavement onto the grass.
Deb I agree with everyone else, either out- of- pocket or insurance, these people must pay the vet bills. maybe you can sue for pain and suffering!

Hi Everyone,

Saturday I did Muscle Meltdown Triceps, XTrain Bonus Barre & XTrain Core 2. Sunday I did Muscle Meltdown Back and yesterday I did a longer indoor ride, a little over 2 hours. I did the first 30 minutes as intervals and the rest as an easy aerobic base ride. My HR average was 113 and max was 155.

My back is feeling better but I'm still staying with barre for the next week or so.

Deb-I hope Kylee is doing better today. It's good that your neighbors plan on paying the vet bills.

Valerie-For me, it's the opposite. I feel like I have to work harder to get my heart rate up cycling indoors. Using Spinervals and Cathe rides definitely do it, but if I am just riding and watching something else, I struggle to get above 120. Outdoors, especially on trails, my hr goes into the 150-160 range very quickly. The Tour is insane! I can't believe how fast they ride.

Lori-that's so great to workout with your son! P90X sounds very challenging! I have a sample of it that came with Body Beast, but I haven't tried it yet.

Diane Sue- Great workouts as usual! You are making me want to do KCM workouts now!

Carolyn-Great job with the RWH upper circuit. I haven't even done that one yet. For some reason, RWH scares me and I tend to avoid it.

Hi to Caitlin!

Judy

Good morning,

We went to the vet yesterday for a follow up and he was pleased with her progress. She still has a way to go but it looks like things will be ok. Going back Friday to have the bandage on her leg removed and the gash checked out.. This was the largest of them...

Valerie, lucky that she has not pulled out any staples, so no collar yet. He gave me some ointment that numbs the area for about 3 hours if there is a spot that is really bothering her. Your cat having staples put in while awake was amazing...I bet it bothered you more than the cat.

Carolyn, good workout! Are you still doing the Fit Tower with S&S and RW?Hiit rotation?

Diane Sue, nice combo of workouts. I don't know how you pick them out...I just seem to gravitate to the same ones over and over.

Lori, nice that you had a great time with the P90x workouts with your son. That plyo one is tough, but I bet "Mon" will get through it and your son will be amazed.

Judy, glad your back is better....good to stay with barre...I see you did an EXTRA long spin ride yesterday!

Take care,

Deb good news for Kylee! animals heal so quickly compared to people.
Yes, the staple process was harder on me! I held Puss while the vet clamped this big wound together on his lower back. He did not even flinch. the staples were big. but that was two times torn out, so he had the collar for a couple weeks. really awkward for everyone with all the banging around running into things. he had to stay in the house obviously. he doesn't spend a lot of time outside, and mostly cruises our garden area and then sits in the sun on the deck. the wound healed fine, fur filled in and you could not find the spot anymore.

yesterday was just a 15 mile ride then lunch at our house. easy day.

My hip bursitis is totally gone now. gosh, that was unpleasant. hikes have been fine but I am still being cautious. another one of those "I wonder what caused it" situations. thinking it might have been a floor exercise with a loop ...that is the main suspect so I won't do that move again. on your knees, use a loop lifting a leg at an angle. that seemed to be the spot that got irritated but one side only.

Judy I didn't follow The Tour much, but yes, one part was average speed 29. all the cyclists look alike too ....so hard to follow any one person. same build, body type, and all skinny, covered in advertisements. they have a controlled access route to ride, but accidents still happen.... tires go flat, debris on the roadway or running into each other. the faster you're going, the more it's going to hurt if you crash. I don't think cycling makes a good spectator sport. we haven't mt biked in a while, but that gets my rate up. road riding surprises me but I keep the elevated rate for a couple hours, just not as high as I expected.

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Supersets. Total time was 43 minutes with 290 calories burned. Average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 175. My heart rate really got up there with the traveling push-ups, slow mountain climbers, and the push-ups with leg lifts.

Deb, I am so glad that the vet gave Kylee a good report. Yes, I am doing the FT rotation with RWH and Strong and Sweaty. I will rearrange or skip a workout if I only want to do 5 days instead of 6. That's what happened this week.

Valerie, I find it to be amazing that you don't feel deadlifts in your glutes. I feel it as soon as start to bend over and press back into my heels. Cathe's newsletter this week has an article on the importance of working the posterior chain which was interesting since we were sort of discussing it last week.

Judy, good plan to stick with barre workouts for lower body. I didn't remember that X Train has a barre segment. I looked it up in the manual and realized that I have only done that part one time. I like RWH but I can't do too many of the workouts in a rotation. The upper and lower body circuits are nice. I was a little frightened by the series when it first came out.

Diane Sue, your workouts are so impressive! I like the KCM Muscle Up but I wouldn't think to pair it with another workout. I admire your ability to plan them out that way.

Lori, great job doing P90X with your son then adding a second workout! I have never done any of the P90X workouts. They always seemed like too much for me to tackle.

Caitlin, sounds like you are back on track with your weight and your workouts. Did you ever try any of the metabolic workouts? They definitely have that cardio feel to them.

Today I did Amy Bento Ross, Hi/Lo Dynamics 55 minutes, 375 calories, heart rate 134 average/ max 166 (it is so odd that my Fit Bit phone app is often different than the watch usually a bit higher on avg heart rate and lower on calories) This workout was 4,812 steps. I am holding off on shoulders, as my neck is sore, otherwise I would have done workout # 1 of Muscle Up from Kelly. I guess, I should have done the first part which was chest and back supersets. The last portion is shoulders and core. Anyway, I did Ramped Up Upper time saver, double back, 32 minutes, 145 calories, heart rate 106/138, steps from this was 958? I guess picking up weights and walking over to write things down. I do like how the Fit Bit app tells you how many of your total steps is from the workout. One of my latest discoveries. Total time was 87 minutes, 520 calories.
Ramped Up Upper I did the same weights and reps the second time through so will just post the first time weights
One arm row R 30# 16 reps
1 arm fly R 10# 10 reps
One arm row L 30# 16 reps
1 arm fly L 10# 10 reps
One arm Row R 30# 16 reps
one arm fly R 10#, 10reps
One arm Row L 30# 16 reps
One arm fly R 10# 10 reps
Pull over 35# 10 reps
Pull over 35# 10 reps
rear delt fly 10's 10 reps twice
rear delt fly 10's 10 reps twice
T-Band Pulls 32 reps/ 16 reps
repeat all

Lori, I bet your son did wonder how you could do another workout after P90X :) We are tough LOL !! I did do a rotation with P90X2 once. Then I have occasionally used different workouts from the set. I liked some of the different types of work in it. It had an awful lot of balance work incorporated. Which was okay but some of it really hurt my knee. I guess P90X3 has some balance work, but not like the 2ns one. P90X+ seems more geared toward upper and core with I believe one total body workout in it. My favorite workout was the abs work with the hanging leg and knee raises etc.. I used tht one on it's own quite a bit. But, then I like doing ab work.;)

Judy, I am glad that your back is feeling better. Nice workouts too. That was a long ride. Do you do anything for entertainment while doing those rides like that? I think I would lose my mind just spinning away like that. I sometimes feel the barre work, particularly standing in my low back. I have to watch lifting to high if I choose to wear ankle weights. When I did Brazil Butt lift masters I had my low back hurting relly bad the first time I did the higher and tighter workout. I think I was too aggressive and lifted my legs up way too much when lying across the stability ball. After the first time I took the ankle weights down to 2# rather than the 5 I started with.

Deb, I am glad to hear that Kylee is coming along well. That is a good idea using a numbing ointment for areas that bother her. Maybe that will eliminate having to use a collar.

Valerie, I have seen some of the bike tours on television but never sat down and really watched. I think the only way it would be a spectator sport is if it was someone you knew and was trying to follow. I feel the same way about golf. I could imagine a porr cat running around with a collar on like that. It probably was not pleasant keeping the your cat in either. My Dad's cat used to lie on his deck and cruise his garden too. They always stayed close to home for the most part. Often when we visited I would find his cat Bitsy in the laundry shoot lying on dirty clothes when my Dad would be trying to track her down.

Carolyn, those travelling push ups took me some getting used to. Thinking of mixing up workouts, I contemplated doing one round of Ramped Up back and doing just the back work from FT Total Body. Looking at the worksheet it seems it would not be that hard to go to the last part of FT and do that body part. I keep taking notes on ways to use these FT workouts and make it a "really" good workout.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Plyometrics. It was hard but doable for me. 46 mins / 321 cal. I think some of Cathe's RWH workouts are harder. I can see how some would think this was really hard if you are not used to Plyo/Hiit workouts. This was my only workpit today.

Valerie...wow that was a close call. Glad you did not injure yourself. How long is your cousin visiting? Glad your hip is better. i must have missed you mentioning this.

Judy...good workout combinations and awesome your back is holding up. The weight workouts of P90x are very challenging with all the pullups. There is a kickbox one called Kempo x. It is good but not as intense as say Cathe's Live Warrior Kickbox. If I was doing this on my own I would easily sub in some Cathe workouts. My son likes Kempo and I am thrilled to be doing this with him so I will go with it!

Deb...so glad Kylee is healing well. I think Nicholas notices that I breezed thru the Plyo Workout. Of course I downplayed that I do plyo all the time and he is not used to it. What is a Mother to do?? :).

Carolyn...have you ever done STS? If yes than you can do P90X. I am going to see if my son wants to continue with meso 2 and 3 when we finish. I'll be sad if he does not want to. :( I remember those traveling pushups! Good for you!

Diane Sue...yes I agree with Carolyn ...you always do such nice workout combinations. After every strength workout we do the Ab Ripper x and it is tough for me. We will do this I think 3 times a week, 17 mins long. Ugh. I will push thru! That is exactly why I did not care for for p90x2 - all that balance work. Good for you doing a rotation.

Have a great night all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.