46 and needing to get back into fitness..

bestican

Cathlete
Hello all...I have been using Cathes videos for years now...HOWEVER...the past year has not been kind....I have gained at least 30 #, fell before Christmas and hurt my ankle and hip. I have been given ok to exercise, but feel like I just don't know where to start...AGAIN! I know many have been in same position, can you give me ideas on how to successful at this again!? After giving birth to my 2 boys, I always managed to lose the weight...NOW...I dunno, I don't think I have ever been this over weight...I am also without a treadmill, which I REALLY relied on when my kids were babies. I am not a beginner, but man do I get SORE after even the easiest leg workout, then I just don't do it again! I have been telling myself for months...this is the week I start. tomorrow I start....and then I never do...

I would appreciate a weight loss/ tone up rotation idea...can anyone suggest what they were successful with? My arms are in dire of need of toning up, I have TERRIBLE belly fat (I never had this before) my legs have never been this big, and I need to lose at least 30 # ....

Thanks in advance,

BestICan

Love your forum name, Bestican! :)

I think half of North America have 30 lbs to lose and muscles waiting to be toned up. You are not alone! But, you have the advantage of having worked out with Cathe in the past (good for you! :)) - so you must know the results that come with consistent, research based, varied, fun and challenging movements! I would suggest looking into Cathe's ICE rotations and finding one that will work for you at this point. Where it is designed as a little less intense than her other workout programs you may find you are not as discouraged when on the humble path of starting back at 'er. And it gives lots of attention to your target areas of arms and core. The other great thing is that the ICE rotations gradually get more advanced, so you can advance with the program the longer you stick with it. The progression is all laid out for you. Very motivating to see those improvements!

It feels like Cathe is speaking just to me when she talks about the importance of eating well as we work toward our individual goals. ;) But just in case you too find this message a useful reminder, here's a quote from Cathe (from her intro to the May '13 rotation). Hopefully it will help you see those results you're looking for all the sooner.

Remember that high levels of activity burn more calories and the more you burn the hungrier you will feel. Nothing wrong with eating extra calories to support your active routine but eat the RIGHT foods. Some examples are to chop up veggies and dip them in a seasoned Greek yogurt, eat low sugar fruits like berries and granny smith apples, eat lean protein sources, and have a whey protein shake after a workout. Avoid simple sugar foods, junk foods, foods in boxes like cereals, pasta, hamburger helper mix ins, also avoid excessive dairy products and high sodium foods. DO DRINK WATER and SLEEP 7 to 8 hours a day!
These changes won’t all happen overnight but make a few every couple of weeks and by June you will Super Lean and Summer Fit!

Thanks, Nathalie. :cool:
So many rotations...so little time! :);) Tough to choose from all the great choices! The March-May '13 rotation looks great - intense. Right now I am doing Cathe's body building rotation
http://cathe.com/forum/threads/rotation-for-body-building.287493/ - finished STS and Gym Styles and am starting 2 weeks of LIS (combining this with RWH). Think I will do Rock-bottom '13 after that. THEN it will be time for the March-May'13 fat burner. I love to plan ahead! Always something to look forward to! :):):):p

And a quick addition to the tip on nutrition, which was awesome by the way. Keep in mind Whey protein has a great amino acid profile which can really help with the soreness you feel, as well as some foam rolling and epsom baths. You can also add some magnesium glycinate at night for muscle soreness and help with sleep/relaxation. Working on recovery protocols will help keep you having fun and in the game!

I started getting back in shape at about 46 as well, and I started with Cathe's http://shop.cathe.com/Basic-Step-Body-Fusion-DVD-p/639.htm workout, and it was perfect for me: it got me moving, enjoying the music, had some light weight work and steady cardio and of course Cathe's bright and encouraging personality. Then I added Butts and Guts, Body Max 2, Muscle Max, and Low Max, going lighter with the weights and stopping early when I had to. (I especially remember using the Next Chapter button the first few times I did Low Max because the intensity blasts were just too hard.)

Now I have so many DVDs of hers, my kids think I am crazy. I do have ICE, and I adore it completely (and just finished the Level 3 rotation), but I think it would have been too much for me to handle at the outset, considering where I was. Even getting to the Charleston steps in the Basic Step video had me gasping in those days.

But really, it comes down to this: pick something to start on, do what you can, stop when you must, don't beat yourself up if you can't finish, and COME BACK AGAIN! Focus on the journey and the fun, instead of the results (those will come in time).

Best of luck to you!

Hi

I started again in April. I just did what I could and aimed for 3 workouts/week. I started using Low Impact Step and Hi Step Circuit. The pace was really what I needed during this time.
Started tracking my food intake on My Fitness Pal as well.
I started adding ICE Bootcamp and 4DS Low Intensity Step.
This knocked down 5 lbs in one month.
This month I started trying Shock Cardio Circuit Blast and Step Moves. I needed the variety. But basically it was LIS and HSC that were my go to workouts because they didn't demand too much and burned the calories anyway.
I use an FT4 polar monitor to help me keep track of my HR and I back off once I feel too uncomfortable.
I have jean shorts and skirts to motivate me for June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first started I also used the beginner workouts at first then I found a rotation that suggested using premixes of the original workouts that were shorter or didn't have the blast segment example step blast has many premixes cardio no blast etc also many of the strength workouts also have a premix with 1 set which also helps to ease into the program

I think it is helpful to focus on a short term goal instead of losing 30 lbs and toning up everything. It can be overwhelming and can lead to trepidation about even starting. After time off, my plan is usually to start out working out every other day and no more than 30 minutes. I try to alternate cardio with strength, but I basically do what feels right at the time. I give myself a good 6-8 weeks to build up a base level of fitness again. After 8 weeks I find that I have found my mojo again and gained some strength and endurance to tackle something more intense.

If you feel you want to follow a more specific rotation, Cathe has an Official 12 week Beginner Rotation.
https://cathe.com/forum/threads/official-cathe-beginner-rotation.236223/

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.