Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/23

Diane Sue, I am so sorry that your experience today was so awful. I had a similar but less extreme experience with thyroid needle biopsy. I was not mentally prepared for the procedure and I didn't think I would survive it!! Good idea to rest and recover.

Valerie, I don't blame you for following up on that strange vehicle in your neighborhoo after your recent experience. Taking a picture was smart.

Deb, you might find Ezekial bread in your regular supermarket. It is kept in the frozen case. There is a recipe for a gluten free zucchini bread in the BBC recipes that you have. I like it for breakfast.

My workout today was Rockout Knockout.

Diane Sue,

That sounds awful. So good that your daughter was there with you. How soon before you hear any results?

Carolyn,

thanks for the reminder about the gluten free zuccini bread...I will go to my NG recipe stuff and take a look at it.

Deb 24 to 48 hours. Felling a little better after a short nap and Tylenol. I usually buy the thick cut gluten free oats. When I eat them I like texture over the slimy stuff. I d grind it into flour for gluten free recipes and some protein bar recipes that call for oats.
That link I gave you has a you tube video that is pretty good on suggestions and information. Also she addresses some other causes.

Valerie, I understand what you are talking about with the digestive system. My grandson, 5 has a very rough time. He will try and try and I have had him sit in the bathroom for an hour and come out and tell me things do not want to come out. They monitor his eating and he has had to stay home from school because it gets so bad. He is fed up with the daily prunes. I have found them hid in the cup holders of my car. They give him daily gummy fiber. The doctor, a friend and pediatric/internal medicine, finally said they have to keep him on whatever that laxative stuff is that I had to drink for the colonoscopy, for now. He has a genetic predisposition for crohn's disease. I feel so sorry for him at times. Getting fluids down him is a challenge as well.

Carolyn, I bet the thyroid biopsy would be rough. Just for where it is at. I think if they did not have to punch the needle in their so many times and have a hard time getting it into the right spot, I could have handled it. Well maybe. I think that numbing stuff really hit in not such a good way, along with them discussing what they were seeing on the screen and talking about what they were doing.

Caitlin, when I use the Tapatalk app on my tablet, it often pulls up the older threads and I have a hard time with editing and typing on it. I generally just use the internet on my tablet now instead and go to Cathe's site just like I would on the computer. I am not sure if that is what is happening with you b

Diane sue, don't worry ...I've been called much worse than Teresa! in fact, I didn't even notice it. that sounds like a hell of a morning. my sister had a thyroid biopsy and it was pretty rough. I think she had to have it repeated because they missed the nodule they were aiming for. not a happy camper. Hope it is all normal results, and you don't need any repeats.
I have memories of my parents chasing me around the house with enemas when I was small. they tried to give me MOM but that has always caused severe cramping. when I was young I thought I was normal and that it was fiction that people actually used the bathroom daily. totally foreign concept to me. as I got older I learned by trial and error how to deal with it. for me, a meat centered diet is a disaster. was that Miralax? every meal I eat is fiber heavy. if I play by the rules, I am fine.
I use Metamucil fiber caps. Depends on whether a 5 yo can swallow capsules or if's even recommended. would need his doc to sign off on that before trying. they are easy to take compared to liquid fiber stuff ....just revolting, that gets worse after a few times..... the stuff you dissolve a teaspoon full in a glass of water and drink it. I quickly could not face it anymore. I take 12 fiber caps a day, 8 in am and 4 in afternoon. good Hydration helps a lot too, but I can imagine trying a kid to drink water if he doesn't want to.

Valerie, yes,it is Miralax. When he was a baby they used prune juice. When he got older it was prunes and we had to call them plums or he wouldn't eat them. Funny one time recently I had plums and he wanted to know what they were. It was a bit confusing to him when I tried to explain. When he got really bad and had blockage someone had to stay home with him and give him a suppository. He holds off because of pain. Yes, to get fluids down is hard. Even when I buy something he chose he will drink a little
And leave it sit. I don't know why but my daughter has avoided the fiber drinks. She just more recently went to gummy fiber. She probably could not get him to drink it. My son had problems when he was little and I had to try to shove maltsupex down him along with b12 iron tonic because he was anemic. So we had conflicting problems.

That is something about those two women and their so called car issue. I would be a bit afraid of confronting them. I hope they catch them somewhere and check them out. We have a search that they have been talking about on the internet of a murderer. I am surprised that they have not found him yet. He seems to have an agenda against some people in a court case. It has been several days that they have been looking for him and people are on edge because of it.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Last night I did Stretch Max and today I did a segment of Core Max. I might try a longer workout tomorrow as I am feeling better.

Deb-I hope you had a better day today.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry you had such a rough morning. I hope you are feeling better now. That needle biopsy sounds horrible :(

Valerie-I have a redundant colon (I found that out when I had my colonoscopy last year) I've always had a sensitive system and
I have to be careful what I eat. I might try those metamucil fiber caps too.

Carolyn & Deb-When I worked at the health food store Ezekial bread was extremely popular. We sold cases of it every week. I think they
do carry it in supermarkets too.

Hi to Lori, Caitlin & Josie!

Judy

I guess my colon issues will be the topic of the day. I used millers bran for years, also senna, laxatives, a combo called fruit paste, carrots, prunes. I need a load of fiber at each meal, plus the capsules. I've tried the different fiber things where you add a teaspoon to a glass of water. OMG they are awful. the ones with sugar and the ones with artificial. equally awful. now I use "fibercaps" from Costco, Kirkland brand. they are basically psylliyum fiber, Metamucil is the "known" brand name. they have no flavor because you swallow them whole. I think they add up to 10 or 20 calories. I take 8 in am, 4 in afternoon. you must take a serious, decent size glass of water with them. there is danger of blockage if not taken with enough water, which is why a 5 yo may not be a candidate. I would not use these in a child unless the doc knows and is OK with it. I know most kids could not swallow one capsule, let alone 8.... but there is no taste, and no cramping like you can get from 'stimulant' type things. I am fine as long as I play by the "rules" or else I am very uncomfortable. I also need to exercise, which is a true incentive.

we did more work on the wall. another 45 bricks, and about a ton( really) of gravel. I will try to post a pic as I sent it to our phone. that was a hard workout.

Good morning,

Another paint run yesterday....I had the paint mixed for the dining room, it came out just right. I can't wait for this to be done. I am going to the ENT for the nodule on my vocal cord Monday, then to the Gastro DR on Wednesday. I called them yesterday and told the assistant that I felt horrible for 2 days and they had to do something. She mentioned maybe having a egd Bravo....Ugh...where they put a PH monitor in to measure the acid level. Not sure what that will tell them....yes there is acid, I can tell them that without a PH monitor. I don't think regular Doctors are open to the "too little acid" theory..not sure how to convince them that it could be that? Very frustrating.

Valerie, it sounds like you have figured out what you can and can't have which is a good thing to stick to, no matter what the latest thoughts on foods are. It sound like the iPad is ok....not sure if they "fix" that kind of thing. Good that you were able to report those people that did not belong there...maybe the cops will be more watchful if the residents were all like you. I like regular oats more too, but I think you have to find special ones if you want them gluten free...thanks for the link.

Diane Sue, that is pretty fast for results..hope all is ok.

Carolyn-Judy, I will look for that bread next time I am in a grocery store.

More house stuff, maybe yard work...John is off today so we can do lots of stuff....Yay...

Take care,

I feel better this morning. I think the tap aggravated my skin. They had told me I could take it off if it bothered but otherwise leave it till today. I kept noticing itching last night and it has a red itchy patch where the tape was this morning. My shoulder still feels a bit numb to the touch where I think they hot a nerve while numbing. I am sure it will probably go away.

Judy, I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hopefully you can get in a longer workout today. I find it interesting how many people have special dietary needs. No two people are alike and we have to find what works.

Valerie, I used to have a terrible problem and the doctor had me taking large doses of Perdue fiber laxative. I also had a full cup every morning of All Bran Extra along with high fiber foods all day long. I drank loads of water. I still drink loads of water an beverages because I tend to get dry mouth. I keep bottles of water in my car and by the bed. Anyway, I had surgery, a cysocele / rectocele and they raised my bladder. After that I quit needing all of that extra fiber. My greens powder and pretty healthy diet work for me. I had problems with this as a child even and it was never addressed. I used to wonder if it hurt like that for everyone. I was quiet about things and was not a complaining child so my parents rarely knew when I was sick or having a problem till it was obvious I had to see a doctor. That is good that you know how to take care of your situation.

Deb, I hope these other tests help you find a solution. I think there are doctors out there that would be more in tune with new studies, but most jfollow the guidelines that they are taught. I talked to a lady in Sprouts who was raving about a nurse practitioner close to me that uses a lot of nutritional stuff and is more in tune with treating the underlying cause. This lady and I were both talking about different things we had tried and both there for Spirulina. Experimenting to find the right combination of things to do can be frustrating. Sometimes talking to the doctor about other alternatives can be a bit helpful and they may listen. I have had a couple of them that listened. One moved away and the other was good but sometimes had an odd bedside manner. I think he had. He was into fitness and body pump. He would recommend herbs supplements and vitamins. But, over the years somethingng seemed to change a bit. Maybe he experimented on himself a bit too much. My daughter worked as his assistant while in med school. Yes, my daughter was pleased that the pathology would be done that quick. She said it is often a week or longer when she does biopsy for skin cancers.

I forgot to mention that my daughter is going to let us use their bikes that are just hanging in the garage. My husband husband is looking for another way to exercise besides dumbbells and the tread climber. This would be perfect because we do not even need to leave our neighborhood.. our streets here have two lanes and one is allowed as a bikey lane and goes up to the park and bike and running trails. Also if we cross the main road and go around the dam we can ride around the lake. They are not using the bikes. It is dangerous out where they live because cars will fly up over the hills and there would be no chance to get out of their way. People do it but they wont. There other alternative is load them in the truck and take them somewhere to ride.

Today I did High Reps which is a great muscle endurance workout. I hope everyone is feeling a little better today.

I agree that everyone has to figure out what works for them individually from a dietary perspective. Each person will react differently to various foods. I am always looking for interesting foods and recipes that fit within the guidelines that l have set for myself

Deb, l'm glad that you have another gastro appointment.

Diane Sue, getting bikes from your daughter will be nice. Now that the weather is milder you should really enjoy riding in your neighborhood.

Valerie, I would love to see pictures of the wall that you and your DH built.

Greetings to everyone. Have a great day and start to the weekend.

Today I did Pedal Power Premix timesaver #1, 40 minutes, 9.3 miles, 280 calories. I then did 21 Day Fix Extreme Yoga, 32 minutes, 70 calories. Total time 72 minutes, 350 calories.

Carolyn, our weather has been beautiful. Generally in the 80's lately. They are going to bring the bikes over when my son in law gets home from a University campus tour in Virginia. It will be a year of so but my granddaughter is checking out where she wants to go to finish her law school training

Good evening ladies..

Yesterday morning was about 50 mins of SB. This morning I did the jumpsport workout I created. Really liking it and it is a great morning workout. No workout tonight.

Valerie...good for you being assertive and finding out what that car was up too. I would have done the same thing. Our neighbors across the street were robbed Tuesday evening. Makes me so scared. Would be heartbroken knowing some jerk was in our home with our animals. They went thru an unlocked bedroom window and took some jewelry and cash. We are good about locking things up and now after hearing about my neighbor I now hide my jewelry. So sad this needs to be done. I have been taking the prescription Linzess for the past 8 months for my "colin" issues. It has changed my life.

Diane Sue...I am glad you are feeling better. That is awesome about the bikes! Would love to get my husband to ride with me. Enjoy! Nice combinations of workouts today.

Carolyn..been ages since I did High Reps but remember liking it. With Suzanne Bowen mostly everything is light weight and high reps and I love it.

Judy...glad you are feeling better. I have never heard of that bread. Will need to look it up. I eat well but I am a very bland eater. Nothing exciting or adventurous. I stick to the basics.

Have a great night all!

Lori, I am always amazed at how you are able to download portions of workouts and put together a whole workout of your own using your ipad. I have no clue how you do that. I was unaware that you could download from places like youtube. I always just save for later and do it online.

Valerie, I had another memory of all of the issues that I used to have. Do you find it worrisome when you travel? I used to worry that I was not going to get my normal diet and supplements in at the right times and I would be really miserable. Particularly when visiting family and friends out of state. It gave the desire to just stay home where it was safe.

diane sue, it does bother me sometimes. when we leave on a trip and drive all day, regardless of what I do.... the next morning I will be bound up. It does cause extra planning. drinking my normal amount of water is hard while driving all day. anything that disrupts the morning routine causes issues. the nice thing about the capsules is that I can carry & take without it being a big obvious thing.... like a huge bowl of bran or mountain of prunes. far more people seem to have the opposite issue. By now everyone knows the kind of food I always order. it's a reason for us going by camper, because then I can easily carry and eat the food I need to without calling people ahead to ask them to supply us. Funny, my mother had a rectocele/ cystocele, and had problems for years but fixed along with a hysterectomy. I've never had any abdominal surgery but I don't think this is a specific area problem, just a lot of extra loops and folds. just lucky I guess.

Carolyn, I actually took several pics before we covered up our work with a tarp. I sent them to our computers but haven't figured out how to bring them here. for some reason they went to zip files and I can't open them. It is not anything scenic or remarkable, but still a lot of work and we are pleased with how it's turning out. it is just a vegetable garden!. the wall is not done but the critical area where it was collapsing is finished, so we can do the rest leisurely.

Lori we had things more or less "hidden:" in our camper. this little tweaker knew right where to look..... not that there are many places to hide anything in a camper if someone has time to look a bit. just not many places. we have an monitored alarm system on our house, and always have it on when we are gone. when we leave we lock the door between garage and house, so if someone opened the garage door they would have to go to extremes to break thru the bolt, undoubtedly setting off the alarm. it's worth going the extra mile although a pain to set and disarm . it is terrible feeling someone has pawed thru "your stuff". and we even got most of it back!.
ETA Lori one infuriating thing is we were home when this happened DH was working in the back yard and I went to the PObriefly but done right under our noses like most petty crimes. I was sure these women were up to something and prevented them from doing any more than driving thru looking for an opportunity. I'd do it again in a heartbeat

We hiked today, and it was lovely. about 7-8 miles RT, around 5.5 hours. lots of lounging in the sun in the snow. this has been a record rainy month here, 4 days all month that didn't rain. sunny and warm but water everywhere.

Last edited:
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, still not feeling well. I can't wait to see the DR's next week.

Diane Sue, glad you are feeling better. Great that you and your husband will be able to do some bike rides. Your weather seems a lot warmer than here! What kind of winters do you get there? Snow?

Carolyn, good workout! I don't remember High Reps , it's been a long time since I have done it.

Lori, that is so scary! Do you have an alarm? I always worry about the dogs if someone were to break in. What would they do and would they get loose if they left doors open etc?

Valerie, would like to see the pics too! Have you tried using picturetrail.com? very easy to upload to here once you put the pics over there.

Maybe agility class this morning if I feel ok. Still working on the house, we are trying to eliminate some of the furniture in the living room, but it is hard for John to give up stuff. We'll see.

Any exciting plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Valerie, the camper would make travel so much better. It used to be nice when we went to Nebraska to visit family and had our 5th wheell. No problem taking the dog and the comfort of our own bed and stuff. My husband is a meat and potatoes person and eats rather plain food. He would eat before we went to visit. I am glad you scared those women off. It seems these type of people get bolder all of the time. Maybe of they didn't just get misdemeanor charges and let go they would think a bit more about what they are doing. I guess in a drug induced fog they don't think much.

Deb, it would nice if you could get answers so that you know how to work on the problem. We are having unusually warm weather for this time of year. They are saying 80 on halloween. Quite often the children are bundling up a bit this time of year. We have only had one day that I actually pulled out a long sleeve t shirt and put away my sleeveless things anticipating the cool weather that has not happened. Oklahoma and the weather is pretty unpredictable. I have seen it 80 early in the day and sleet in a few hours later. When we lived in the northern part of the state we got more snow than we get here in Oklahoma city. I think we get more ice and really nasty driving conditions here. Dome winters stay mild and others we get a lot of snow and ice. Usually the worst is January and February. One year when my husband was coming back from Afghanistan for a visit we had arranged to meet in Las Vegas and fly home together. It was so bad the snow was heavy, the ice was terrible, and my flight was cancelled. He got to spend one of those days in Vegas by himself before I was able to leave.

Today I did the warm up, floor work, and leg drills from Lower Body Blast, 40 minutes, 143 calories. I used 3# ankle weights and my blue Cathe firewalker loop. I then did Kelly Coffey Split Sessions bonus floor work with my heavy and extra heavy loops, 17 minutes, 50 calories. I finished with Barre Amped Strength and Stretch Power Stretch, 24 minutes, 60 calories. Total time was 82 minutes and calories burned 261. That is the calorie burn average I got for the few times I did Turbo Barre. These workouts are burners but they do not blast off calories. I imagine my posterior area will be sore :)

Diane sue the other benefit is that family visits can be tedious, even if you care about them. the camper gives you refuge when you need a "break". DH's family members all turn on their TV first thing before they do anything. it runs all day at a significant volume. It drives me nuts. it drives DH nuts. when they visit here, our TV is on only when we watch something specific, like a DVD movie. then it goes off. It probably drives them crazy, but I don't care, same as they let it run when we are at their house. when we travel with the camper, we can get a break when we need it. it has probably prevented many headaches and a few homicides. DH's parents used to have more than one TV running at a time, with sports running at about 100 decibels. It was a nightmare. camper helps with food, and sleeping. I've lost the ability to sleep just anywhere. plus, if we have had a long driving day and want to go to bed early, we aren't disrupting everyone else.

I looked at the fiber caps. it says consult a doctor for anyone under 12.

Deb, hope you get some useful feedback from gastro this week. I think it's my computer, pictures are always a problem. I can look at the pics but when I save them they go to zip files and then won't reopen. I will try with DH's system.

Carolyn I have High Reps but haven't done it for a long time. I remember it being very rapid so that I could not switch weights and keep up. need to remind myself of that one. I'm better at writing down weights so probably can grab the right one faster now.

We talked to another neighbor and learned about their break in a while ago. someone kicked in their front door. they had an alarm, but the people came in and grabbed some stuff anyway. seemed like they knew where to look. jewelry, an urn with ashes.

One of the big hazards is your garage door opener. Our newer car has it programmed into the vehicle. our truck and older car have separate openers. easy for someone to smash a car window, grab the opener and let themselves into the house or at least the garage. our opener was stolen off our lawn mower last summer.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.