Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/28

I have heard that the country dance workout with Autumn Calabrese is fun. I have just looked and did not have a lot of interest. My dancing abilities are not good. Using Chia seeds does thicken. It takes some waiting. You do not want to eat them without them absorbing the liquid first. There have been incidences where people have choked because the seeds stuck in their throats and swelled.
I ended up having a grass fed ground beef patty for dinner with steamed broccoli and some Paleo pesto that I had in the freezer. It does not have parmesan or spinach in it so I am sure it is okay for low histamine. It was made with cilantro, some freeze dried basil (I could not find fresh) and I think it was arugula. I also used walnuts in it when I made it. It tastes like pesto though and is really good.
I found a recipe in my Mediterranean Paleo Cooking book for herbes de provence . I am baking chicken for a chicken curry salad that has grapes in it. That way I am not searching for something tomorrow. I ended up with another Taylor farms salad for lunch. I am adding my own dressing to the next bag because they use soybean oil in their dressings.

Lorie, I have never been real fond of preacher curls but they seem to work well. I usually figure if I do not like something it is probably going to work :) I really do like those muscle meltdown workouts. I watched the Ice Mat dvd clips and it looks like a lot of repetitive stuff from other workouts that I would find myself adding some sort of extra resistance to. Also I am pretty sure the shoulders workout is the same one as the other leg blast workout. I had printed up the workout card and it was the same. I am looking forward to trying SB Amped Strength and Stretch. Her you tube clips are all short. I like using the stability ball with upper body. I bet that live workout is a good one.

Diane Sue,

Herbes de Provence is on the spice shelf dried. Definitely on the grill and tie it up get the prosciutto
Crispy. As Kim would say, don!t over cook lean pork. So good!

Reactions: WD
OOOOooo coconut oil in coffee??? and I thought butter sounded awful. seriously, my grandmother used to trim off the fat and eat it. all of it. she lived to be 97 but she was NOT thin. she ate the fat off beef, pork, chicken, you name it. when she had bread/butter, it was a huge chunk of butter on a tiny scrap of bread. I like coconut milk in Indian and thai food. I tried coconut milk the beverage but ran into a funny mouth feel sensation with coconut milk. I forget who...the biggest loser lady... Gillian... was promoting it, so instead of almond milk I tried coconut. No, not for me. I could not drink it. I am picky about mouth feel. no slimy stuff here.

Lori I am so happy to hear someone else doesn't like preacher curls!!. I try to do them on the ball but my elbows end up pointing inward at each other, and my hands are splayed out. it doesn't feel like it works the biceps as well as plain curls or hammer curls and seems awkward.

I am OK with CUB, but think the x train bis, tris,/ ch, ba, sh, and Burn sets are a much better workouts in less time. I've been doing CUB for variety but think I will go back to xtrain. I guess xtrain is advanced. I don't like pairing weights with a band but other than that I like xtrain best, and no sound track issues. .

I think this post is "out of order" but be careful, if you haven't tried it before, with herbes de provence. it sounds lovely.... but the lavender in there makes it taste like soap! very smelly soap. I bought some, tried it once , and pitched it. I don't think cilantro tastes like soap like many people do, but herbes de provence does. I think this is a very individual thing. DH thinks they both taste soapy, while I like cilantro, but herbes de provence was off the chart for both of us.
I should add that I hate tarragon even more. Awful stuff, can't get the smell and taste to go away. I had a very strong adverse reaction to it ,as I did to herbs de Provence . We do a bike ride every summer in an area where lavender is grown extensively and it is lovely. But I can't eat it!

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Compound Giant Sets...42 minutes, 262 calories. Short of running, which I don't do much anymore, there is few cardio workouts that give me this much calorie burn in 42 minutes. :).

Diane Sue, that is an interesting concept with the histamine...I hope it helps your allergy symptoms. Great workouts yesterday, I am still amazed at all you do at one time. The 2 shoulder Muscle Melt downs are different...that was a big topic when the workouts came out...but not worth getting the To the Mat workout...

Carolyn, good job on the workout! I feel the same way about chia seeds, although they really didn't have a taste to me, but for some reason they caused stomach upset. Great that you are less stressed now, that commute does not sound like fun.

Valerie, yes, chia seeds expand and get like a gel when they are put in liquid...that is why they use them in some recipes, like puddings, and overnight oats. Peanut an butter???? Ugh! I don't blame you for not wanting to eat that. I think there is a lot of good info backing up the "eating fat is good for you" theory, as long as they are good fats. Like nuts, and avacados etc.

Lynda, I think that is great that you are doing that couple days of fasting. I like the 16:8 method, seems to work well for me when I do it! I have heard that Boston is one of the worst for driving, especially if you are not from there. When we went to Provincetown, we made sure we did not go though Boston. 2 classes yesterday with Kylee was fun...she is a little trooper, loved every minute of it. John had a tooth taken out yesterday so he skipped class last night and her and I went alone. I think she likes the individual attention. I hope the hard reset works for your iPad.

Lori, hope you like the Tower, I have heard good things about it. Thanks again for the DVD's, I think they will help me ease into barre work. All this talk about xTrain workouts is tempting,,,but I can't seem to let go of my Live workouts! It's all your fault...LOL....:). I don't like preacher curls either, especially on the ball...my arms don't want to bend in that way, they actually feel like something is going to snap. Is that how yours feel?

Hi to Judy, Josie, & Caitlin

A workout, then organizing and cleaning our den...it has gotten out of hand...a nice place to "dump" things that you don't know what to do with....LOL...

Take care,

You ladies who like to cook make me feel a bit ashamed, and I really do not like to do it. I saw my gorgeous daughter yesterday who is an RN, and she is doing really well. I have been very busy with work and usually August is slow. The only thing I did yesterday was my legs freestyle, I don't even know where my knee brace is. Hello to all the wonderful ladies. Deb, Carolyn Val, Lynda and Diana Sue.

Since I am getting a large chuck of money after the closing, do you have any ICE workouts that you could recommend to me. The delay in moving came about as the buyer could not get a mortgage until now.

Last edited:
Valerie, I do not care for tarragon either. The recipe I have for here's de Provence does not have lavender in it.
Bay leaves crushed
Thyme leaves
Dried savory
Ground marjoram
Dried oregano
Ground sage
Dried rosemary
All items were 2 Tbs I believe

Deb, no luck yet on allergy relief . I know it takes a bit of time. I even had watery eyes all night along with the coughing. I really want to get it under control before I have jury duty this next month.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone,
Today I did 4 Day Split Higher Intensity Step w/chest and back. The step has more complex moves than what I like but the weight work was good. I like these workouts to change things up a bit. Oil and butter added to coffee and other unusual dishes is not what comes to mind when I think of adding more healthy fat to my diet.

Diane Sue, a low histamine diet sounds interesting. My youngest daughter developed severe food allergies when she was eight. I had to make many changes and learn to prepare some foods differently. As a young adult she still has to be very careful. I think I will mention this to her.

Lynda, I agree that Boston traffic is crazy. All three of my children went to school there and we quickly learned that we did not want to drive!

Deb, I have not tried the live workouts. Our television is very old and I haven't felt motivated to try it on other devices. I love the X Train series, but I am trying some of the older workouts.

Caitlin, good luck with your move.

Carolyn

Now I've seen everything!
spacer2x2.gif

spacer2x2.gif

The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life

by Wes Allison, Stephanie Bogdanich, Molly R. Frisinger, Jessica Morris

spacer2x2.gif

Tired of the same old cleanse? Instead of feeling rejuvenated are you anxious, cranky, and…HUNGRY? A group of vegan taco scientists in Austin, Texas, know just how you feel, and reveal their one-of-a-kind cleansing journey that anybody can follow and stick to—the Taco Cleanse. Everything tastes better folded (exactly once) into a tortilla!

spacer2x2.gif

LIST PRICE: $15.95

spacer2x2.gif

Today was Ice Chiseled Lower Body Blast mish mosh mix #1 some blizzard blasts mixed in, 65 minutes, 425 calories. I followed this with Lower Body Blast conditioning drills , 17 minutes, 60 calories. I wore 3# ankle weights or the leg lift portion. I also did Ice Muscle Meltdown shoulders, 16 minutes, 66 calories. Total time was 97 minutes, calories burned 551.
Muscle Meltdown shoulders giant set 5 exercises, 12 reps each 3 rounds
overhead press 15's ,15's, 15's
upright row 15's, 15 15's
standing side lateral 10's, 10's, 10's
front raise 15,15, 15
rear delt on ball 8, 8, 8 right then same on left

Deb, I have to laugh at a taco diet :) Of course there are any ways to eat a taco.

Carolyn, if you go to the Whole 30 website they have free downloads of the nutritional stuff and you can download the low histamine diet guidelines there. There are different ways of doing it depending on what your needs are. I am working on a tolerance one. Very similar but it does skip a few things and adds in some gluten free rice and quinoa. I found it at Dr Axe website. The idea behind the coconut oil in coffee is that it has mct in it. Some use mct oil in their coffee. I figure I use enough coconut oil and full fat organic coconut milk that I do not need to add extra to my coffee in the morning.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did the live Shredded Upper Body with the Ball (49 min.). Excellent upper body workout. I give it a 4, though, because I didn't like the pushups on the ball. I really do feel the preacher curls in my bis and can only use 10 lb dumbbells.

Deb, that is hilarious! Although, I must say, the vegetarian and mostly Mexican cuisine at Rancho la Puerta was very effective (ahem!) and I did lose some weight that week I was there. Kylee certainly does you proud when she is not distracted. Unfortunately Max is very depressed. He managed somehow to get a gash on his back in pursuit of a ground hog and yesterday, he was anesthetized so the vet could sew him up. He's wearing an Elizabethan collar and must stay inside so he doesn't get it dirty. Just when the owls are after the chickens again and he is needed for hoot patrol.

Valerie, as far as I can tell, there is no lavender in my bottle of herbes de Provence. Provence IS famous for its fields of lavender though and I remember being there when those fields were blooming. Gorgeous! Maybe you did get some kind of special blend. I do exercise on one of the days I only have dinner. I feel fine--if anything more alert than usual. Everyone is different. Ugh--I cannot imagine eating all that fat. I did read somewhere that the actress who plays Claire on House of Cards is on some kind of high fat diet and puts butter in her coffee. Not for me. I cut the visible fat off meat, but I do love a well-marbled and aged Porterhouse steak from farm-raised beef--but a small portion of it, not the whole thing.

Diane Sue, that blend of spices matches what it says on my bottle. Sorry--but I cannot imagine pesto without fresh basil, pine nuts, parm-reggiano cheese and olive oil. As usual, you do very challenging and admirably LONG workouts. I glaze ham with a honey and Marsala wine mix that I found a long time ago in a Cooking Light magazine. Always some to keep warm and put over a slice of ham and a sweet potato.

I am off to Minnesota tomorrow so I may not be in touch for awhile.

Hi Everyone,

Saturday I did XTrain Burn Sets, Bi's & Tri's; Sunday I did a 50 minute Leslie Sansone walk; Yesterday and today I did Spinervals, both just over an hour each.

Lynda-Poor Max! :( I hope has a quick recovery. Have a good trip to Minnesota!

Valerie-I agree about the XTrain upper body workouts.I feel like I get better results from these upper body workouts than almost any other Cathe weight work. STS might be better, but XTrain is more enjoyable.

Deb-That is funny! Great job with the Live workouts! I have never tried Chia seeds. I remember everyone going crazy over them when I worked at the health food store, but for some reason they never appealed to me.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your allergies. I know how you feel. Ragweed is killing me right now. I really should look at the low histamine diet again. Great workouts as always!

Lori-That' s great that you did the 90 day XTrain rotation. I am really loving these workouts again. This has to be one of Cathe's best series, no dread factor at all.

Carolyn-4 DS is another great Cathe series. I really love the leg workout in this one and do it regularly. I don't think I would ever add butter or oil to my coffee, especially since I need to watch my cholesterol.

Caitlin-All of the ICE workouts are good, but I really like Rock'm Sock'm Kickbox and Metabolic Total Body.

Josie- Hope you are having a good week!

Judy

Good evening ladies,

This morning was SB Cardio Barre followed up with JS 20 minute legs from 10pounds down. Not overly intense this morning but fit the bill just right.

Funny how we all feel about preacher curls. I am just not comfortable doing them so I don't!

Diane Sue...I did not care for the Ice Mat workout. My least favorite of the series. Can't wait to see how you like the SB stretch. I am loving it. Some of the stretches are very advanced for me but I like trying and going a little deeper every time I do it. Great workouts today!

Deb...hilarious diet! My son's GF would love this. I was into Chia seeds for a bit but it faded out. I think I really need to try out an xtrain rotation again. Like you it is so hard to give up my SB and Live. I would need to be able to fit them in somewhere. That is a good description as to why I do not like preacher curls.

Valerie...I prefer almond vanila milk over coconut. I do like coconut oil and have been using it quite a bit lately. Great there are no sound issues with Xtrain. Is it just the Ice series that have been off for you? I do not mind band work with weights.

Lynda...what I did of the Shredded Live workout I really liked. Thought it was great. Have fun in Minnesota! Oh poor Max. Hope he is outside protecting the chicks soon.

Caitlin...I am not much of a cook either so you are not the only one that drools when these ladies are talking about all the food they prepare! Lol!

Carolyn...When my husband moved to New England he could not believe how rude drivers were. I looked at him and said...What do you mean? Doesn't everyone drive like this? He laughed and said no. I guess I am used to how we drive. I will admit my husband does not classify me as one of "those" drivers! :). I have the 4day split dvds and I am sorry to say I have never done any of the workouts. :(

Judy...nice workouts. I am going to put the fit tower together this weekend. I like some of the moves she does using it. Can't wait to try pullups using this. Right now I always do pullups with bands. I think Lynda and I did the 90 day Xtrain at the same time when it first came out. This was about the time I joined this group. I really looked and felt great afterwards so I really need to think about this!

Have a great night all!

we did a hike today, 5 hours or so. forgot to stop the timer after we were done. it was fairly warm and it was hard for me. about 6 miles RT.

Lori, the Ice series is the only one I have trouble with the sound level. I liked the weight workouts in xtrain but I don't want to stick to only those. but I've done CUB probably 10 x now and it's fine but I like xtrain better. I also prefer almond milk. I get the 60 calorie one. goes well with my oats. good luck with the pull ups.. for me, I can say "when pigs fly". but trying is still good. have a "hard band" that is a simple handle. it's so tough, I would not need a dumbbell with it. my lighter weight band has a bunch of plastic pieces sticking out that makes it hard to hang onto it and also a weight. Just too much "stuff". I never think to replace it when I'm shopping.

Judy, I liked STS but to do it right takes a heck of a time commitment. I don't feel the obligation as much with xtrain. I guess I am more about maintaining rather than pushing weight increases these days. Metabolic total body is my favorite from Ice so far.

Deb, a taco cleanse sounds great to me! we had chicken tostados tonight. so good! how much older is Kegan?

Oh my... Max does not sound like a happy camper with an Elizabethan collar! but just like our kitty, if he has stitches, he will probably pull them out when they start to itch. It took Puss a couple seconds after being Ok with it for a long time, and suddenly, the stiches were pulled out and we were back to square 1. we did the collar and he was fine afterwards but the enforced time off is hard!.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Cardio Coach workout on the treadmill...39 minutes, 262 calories. He does a really nice/short lower body stretch at the end of the one I did.

Caitlin, sorry about your moving delay....it must be tough with everything packed. You cannot go wrong with any of the ICE workouts, unless there is some type of workout you don't like..eg kickboxing, 9 or for me, floor work. I am not fond of To the Mat, but that is a personal preference, There are so many premixes and the Muscle Melt Downs are worth the whole price of the series.

Diane Sue, I hope that you have some relief soon...those allergies sound awful. With all the spices Penzy's has, I don't see anything called de Provence....is this something that would be close? No lavender in this one...I don't think I would like the small/taste of lavender for food. Like Valerie, it would make me think of soap etc.
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/parisien-bonnes-herbes/c-24/p-234/pd-s......
I forget about checking out Dr Axe stuff...did you follow the Whole 30 eating plans?

I bet we have 2/3 of the spices on this site. John loves browsing in their store and cannot leave without buying something. They also give a free spice each month to anyone on their mailing list. Sometimes you have to spend $5 in the store to get the free spice...John has no problem doing that. If only

Carolyn. 4 Day Split is a great series. Like Judy, my favorite on this is the leg workout. Do you have the ICE series?

Lynda, have a safe trip! poor Max...I hope he heals fast so he can go after those owls! mmmm....love pesto too. But I have to eat it with a lot of fresh Italian bread...not good.

Judy, good job on the workouts....somehow I am surprised that you like Leslie Sansone....it seems so mild compared to the spin stuff you do. :). I guess it is good to balance it off.

Valerie, I also like almond milk in things like oatmeal...do you drink it? I seem to have a problem with that for some reason, I guess I need to do it more often to get used to the thickness of it. When I drank milk a lot, it was always skim milk. If you like Metabolic Total Body, you should really like the new series coming out. Keegan is 8, Kylee is 5.

Lori, I got the JS DVD yesterday, have to preview it. What did you do with chia seeds? Except for using as a thickener, I can't see any reason to use them. You are all making me think of revisiting the xTrain series....but I can't give up LIVE!

Hi to Josie!

A workout, then agility with Kylee later today,

Take care,

Deb the herbs de province on that site does have lavender and it has fennel. I went to the store and got savory, which is the only spice I did not have, and made my own from the recipe I have II have the Whole 30 cookbook and did the plan once. Then loosely afterward. I read their forums. Later I printed up the low histamine list and I keep a copy for reference in the kitchen. I had let up following it. It is hard eliminating tomatoes and zuchinni. My daughter gives them to me from their garden. I really liked the Whole 30 plan. I made the sauces and recipes ahead a lot of the time and froze meals.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Diane Sue, I didn't look down far enough! I see now that they actually have the de Province....with lavender...I guess I would sub the other one that I mentioned...if I were to want to try anything with de Province in it.

Today I did STS Cardio Athletic Step 47 minutes, 351 calories. I then did Muscle Meltdown Back, 21 minutes, 98 calories. Total time was 68 minutes, 449 calories. My new workouts should be here before noon. I may try out some of Bar Amped Stretch when it comes.

Linda, I made the plum chutney last night. It tastes great I had to sample a bit of it. I am going to get the pork tenderloin all seasoned and wrapped up in a little bit so it is ready for the grill later.

Deb, I have seen recipes that called for lavender and could never imagine the taste. I have some spice bottles I use for mixes. I made a whole bottle of the herbes de provence seasoning,. I always keep a blend of the Mexican type seasoning that I used for the Performance Paleo Cookbook bad ass bowl. It is easier than getting out each spice every time I want to use that mix. I also keep a sausage blend mixed up.

Caitlin, I would imagine that you are really anxious to get the move over.

Today I did 4 Day Split Kickbox w/legs and core. I ordered the Suzanne Bowen Strengthen and Stretch and previewed part of it yesterday. It looks like something that I will like. I plan to try it later this week.

My other grandmother used to love lavender fragrance. she was pretty heavy handed with it, so I'm very familiar. she saturated her clothes and her house in it. Overwhelming. I still enjoy the fragrance of lavender fields when we ride and it's so easy to grow. the herbs de provence spice mix I bought was a major brand. bought it because the recipe called for it. didn't look to see what was in it. I don't even remember what the dish was! Neither DH nor I liked it, and after I looked and saw lavender. just too perfumey /soapy fragrance and taste. I tossed it immediately! Now, the same mix without lavender might be just fin. I like fennel seeds as long as it's not too heavy handed. I absolutely hate licorice and it can tend that direction. I got turned off to tarragon after one restaurant meal where everything had tarragon in it.

Deb, I don't "drink" almond milk. too thick for that. dairy milk has much more protein. I always wonder why, with all the emphasis on protein lately, that dairy milk gets rejected by so many. I've always like it and use it for most things with the exception of oatmeal. I like nonfat milk in my lattes. it's kinda thin for cereal though. more body from almond milk. Makes my oatmeal/ fruit seem more substantial. Somehow I got the idea Keegan was much older than kylee, that is not that much difference. maybe he is just asserting his mature dog personality!

I agree, Caitlin, you must just want to get this move done!

We are supposed to get some rain today after a very long very dry month. we are hoping to get measurable rain but so far today, nothing although it's gray and cooler.

Not sure what I'm doing today. maybe flex train.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.