Lifting like girls

Tom, jealous of your short week! My DH gets Monday off next week but that's it! Sometimes the extra reps aren't there, but you did great anyway with your workout.

Lib, so cool that your son learned a new skill! It is so helpful to know how to do repairs. You'll figure out this new schedule. I believe in you! Good work with disc 2.

Karen, Justine, what's up?

Today I did XTrain Legs, the All Sections premix. Burner!!!!

Back and bis, chin ups, x10 x10 x8 x5 (petered out!), dumbbell pullovers 3x8, lat pulldowns 3x10, dumbbell curls 3x8, hammer curls 3x8, conc curls 3x8 (dropped 10# for these) and finished with 1x8 ez bar curls. Lisa, no labor day off? That's terrible..attorneys are people too! Seriously, that does suck. Karen, you SAY you like the deload, but we know it wouldn't last long for you before you would be throwing in a couple of hours of hoco or squatting a house or something!! Hey, missing people in Iron land, hope all is well "wid ya"!

Tom, well, some attorneys are people, but not all, LOL. I'm a full-time SAHM right now so I never ever ever get a day off. None of my supervisors when I was practicing law were nearly as demanding as my two DDs. They are tough bosses! But at least my DH will be home with me on Monday. Maybe I'll get a pedicure or do your favorite activity--outlet mall shopping! :) Great workout today. I think concentration curls are my favorite biceps move.

Karen, I'm with Tom...you'll be adding in HoCo or Afterburn or something. You're too much Commando to obey a deload (although it would be totally OK if all you did was deload, we just tease). Stair calf raises is a great idea. Do you hold weights in your hand? I usually use my high step when I want some elevation. Are you still enjoying your shorter workdays?

I'm with you guys, where is everybody? I miss our friends.

Today was Kickboxing and Compound Weights Live (12/4/14). So so so great. I've got the gloves but I need to get a heavy bag. Yes, that's right, NEED! First world problems...

Hey All! I got in legs and shoulders, kinda downsized in some areas. 5 x 8 squats up to 205, stopped there because my lower back seemed really iffy, 2x15 gob squats, 2x6 reverse lunges, 2x20 barbell calf raises and 2 x 25 single calf raises. For shoulders I tried the bar and it was doable, but I never tried heavy, right shoulder still sore. I did 6 sets up to 115, finishing with 2 sets at 85 and things felt ok. I wasn't able to do side laterals, but did light front raises, 2 sets and 2 sets of rear delt flys. and 2 sets of heavy dumbbell shrugs,and finished with a set of cable crunches. Karen, I hear the echo too! I hope the planet didn't end and we were not notified!! Lisa, the stay at home Mom is the MOST honored profession (and perhaps the hardest!) You should be proud to be in that profession....the other one...not so sure!!! (Just kidding, that one is honorable as well!) Have a great "hump day" ladies!

Tom, I bet your shoulder are constantly sore from working 2 body parts/day. No matter what body part you're working, those busy-body shoulders always get involved!

Today I did XTrain Chest, Back, Shoulders. I usually gravitate to Burn Sets so it's been ages since I have done this one, It wiped me out!

Hey hey Commandos! Chest and tri day, 9 sets flat, 3 sets inclined, 3 sets pushdowns, 3 sets skc's, and 2 sets of pushups ( really short!!) and 1x30 cable crunch. I had some notables, 205x5 and dropped to 185x10 (not sure I have done that before?) By the time I did chest, then tri's, I got "nuttin" left for pushups...guess that means its working! Lisa, you are right, shoulders cant catch a break. I thought about doing back and bi, but figured it would be counter productive and I would double up later anyway. It took about 3 sets of bench to loosen things up, but I dont think I can continue to double up, not enough rest time for these old arthritic shoulders..guess I will figure out something. Weekend is coming, yay!! Hope Thursday is terrific for everyone!! Hi to all our silent warriors!

Happy Thursday. Tom, I can't wait for the weekend either. I hear ya on needing 3 sets of bench to get loosened up. Sometimes I'm not feeling strong until I've pounded out a few sets of something. Putting pushups at the end of any workout is evil! But we all know you enjoy self-inflicted punishment. HA!

Karen, what are you up to today? Still enjoying your deload?

Everyone else? Anyone? hello?

Today I did an old steady state cardio from my DVD collection, Tracey Staehle Step Sweatfest.

Yes, still deloading. Today was:
Incline Bench Press 2 sets
EZ Bar Seated Tricep Extension
Dips
Dumbbell Upright Row
Dumbbell Hammer Curl
Hanging Leg Raise
Lisa, I remember Tracey Staehe Step Sweatfest, haven't done it for ages. May have to pull it out just for the nostalgia. Nice work, Tom. Looks like everyday is a great workout.
Hope everyone else is doing well. Have a great weekend, all!

Just finished Friday's deload:
Glute bridges
leg curls
front squats
squats
stair calf raises
Remember a few threads back, I stated that I felt like I was eating like a bird. Well evidently I was. Always a good thing when the batteries in your scale are replaced. What can I say? Some days are better than others. I've disgraced all engineers. I'm sure DH won't be able to look me in the eye.
Heading off to Costco to buy a years supply of batteries. Have a fabulous holiday weekend, COMMANDOS!

Karen, looks like you're getting the job done in the weight room, as always. LOL on the scale batteries! If you buy a replacement pack at Costco, you'll not only be set for the next year but for the next decade! You'll have batteries coming out your eyeballs, and I should know because we buy our batteries there, too. Yeah, I really like Tracey Staehle. She stopped producing workouts a few years ago. Made me sad.

Tom, no messing around for you today in the weight room. Great workout!

Today I did XTrain Bis and Tris. It's 46 minutes of good, solid stuff, but man 46 minutes of just those 2 body parts is not my favorite combo. I sucked it up like a good Commando and did it anyway.

TGIF! Long weekend! Yay!

Well, today was a reality check and it slapped me in the face! I started with 3 light sets of strictpress and right shoulder said no. I went to legs and did 3 light sets and I said no. I did do 3x20 cable crunches upping the weight 10# (I did feel these!) and 2x30 heavy dumbbell shrugs. I was going to punish myself and ride the airdyne for 5 miles....only lasted 1!! Geeze, what a failure! I think maybe 2 bodyparts a day for 6 days is too much for this old geezer!! I think my shoulders that have always been a problem can't take the reps without more rest. I will probably go back to 1 part/day. Karen, were your scales off due to low battery, or had you just not weighed? Was the final verdict after weighing good or bad? Lisa, good on ya fer da bravery! I laugh because that's not near the nightmare for me that 46 min of cardio would be, but 46 min of bi and tri is "focused anguish"! Way to win the mind game! Justine, Lib, Roz, Melissa , we are calling 911, taking out an "all points bulletin", bringing the calvary, forming a "search party", beating the bushes, whatever it takes to smoke y'all out! Seriously, hope all is well with with you all!

Well Tom, you made an attempt, you should feel accomplished. Sounds like a good workout to me. Yes, the batteries were low, and I was on auto pilot, not paying any attention. Thinking I was eating like a bird, because I was cutting. When I finally came out of my coma, and realized that the food I was eating was not 2000 calories a day, I checked the scale. It certainly didn't look like 3 oz. of chicken. That's what happens, when you're asleep at the switch. So, DH and I decided we needed a break, and we drove to St. George, last night, for a few days of R&R. Did my workout in the hotel gym. Finished my last deload. We will see what next week brings. I'm off, for a bike ride through the red rocks. You guys are the best, have a great holiday. I think this time of year is very busy for Justine. Hope to hear from her, and all our COMMANDO friends soon!!

Last edited:
Ahhh, St. George. Sounds terrific. Enjoy, Karen.

Tom, well you gave it the old college (or AARP? LOL!) try. No, seriously, 2 body parts/day would be ridiculously tough given the volume that you put your body through. Maybe just do a 2 body parts/day week every few weeks to switch it up, shock the body?

Today I did Summer 2016 Kickoff Live (6/23/16). I just realized I've done this one a lot. I really like it.

Enjoy your holiday, friends!

This is gonna be a deload week....by necessity, not choice. I decided I am going to try to do chest and tris on Monday, back and bis, Tuesday, legs on Wed, shoulders on Thurs, and arms Friday, hitting arms twice/week. I think I will do core and posterior chain stuff on Sat or hodge podge just to keep active. Today I was going to do chest and tris, but could not bench without pain in the right shoulder so......deload week coming up!! I tried several sets at 45, 115 135, but it didn't get better, I tried pushups, but couldn't do those either, so I did 2x8 pushdowns, 2x10 skcr's, then did 2x25 seated knee ins, 2x30 cable crunches, and finished with 15 minutes on the airdyne. I am going to keep it light and short and try to get healed up. Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend!!

Started Mesocycle 2 of RP today. Had my first workout at a gym in St. George.
New Monday workout:
Wide Grip Bench Press 3 sets
Flat Bench DB Flye 3 sets
Seated BB shoulder Press 2 sets
Cable Tricep Pushdown 4 sets
Cable Face Pull 3 sets
BB Curl 4 sets
V-Up 4 sets
Happy to hear that you are finally taking a deload week, Tom. Sorry to hear about your shoulder, but a deload will help. I'm off to the pool!
Take care everyone!

Dang, Tom. Sorry about your shoulder. Hopefully you'll feel better soon. In the meantime you can always ride that bike like you did today! Cardi-O! Cardi-O! Cardi-O! You're favorite. ha!

Karen, stop bragging, LOL. "I'm working out at St George and now I'm going to the pool." Yeah, yeah, life is great for you right now, we get it. :) Totally kidding, you deserve a break. You're one of the hardest working Commandos I know. Soak up the sun and fun!!!

I did chest and tris today. Not my best but, eh, whatever. Got it done.

Enjoy your day!

Karen, glad you had a chance for some R&R! I drove thru St. George once and it was beautiful! Sounds like first day off deload was legit! Lisa, I thought about you every mile...how can a person like this stuff!!!lol! Today deload or my version of it continues. I did back and bi, 2x8 chin ups, 2x10 pullovers, 2x10 lat pulldowns. For bi's, 2x10 dumbbell curls, 2x8 hammer curls and 2x8 conc curls. I dropped 10# on the curls and pullovers and lat pulldowns, dropped 5# on conc curls, and did 2 sets instead of 3...is that a deload? I finished with 1x50 crunches. I did feel like I worked and didn't apply any science like Nia's, but I didn't push it like usual so hopefully it will suffice. Have a great week friends!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.