Lifting like girls

Hi all! I've had my daughter home for a few days, and we did some serious shopping! Also went to the beach. Parked the car and left hubby in it, with a blanket over his lap and a flask of tea. Lol. He's only in his 50s, but I got a taste of what he might be like in his 90s.

Lib, waterfall dates sound a lot more romantic than anything I do! Keep the gossip flowing. I live vicariously these days!

Tom, glad to hear you flooded the basement yourself! I rank a workout by how much I've peed. Heavy sumo deadlifts.....'nuff said.
You do so many sets. And reverse flyes at 50? Wow. I use my 10kg only.

Karen, the mindy workout sounds like something I may have to take a peek at. I'm missing that sort of thing. I get the feeling your extra days off are going to be spent working out????

Lisa, too funny about the high pitch of children. I told mine I was deaf to all notes above middle c. They believed me until they were quite old!

I finished deload week with cardio leg blast and imax2. I'm still humming the pink colada song.

I'm on a 'metabolite training' month. Basically high rep, lower weights, max 30sec rest between sets. I've heard people complain, but I'm loving it. Cathe prepared me well. Enjoying that 'burn', and the shorter workout times.

I'm missing Roz as well. Hope you're ok Roz!

Keep on killing it everyone. X

Justine, happy for you, spending time with your daughter. I finally got around to ordering Renaissance Periodization. Can't wait to get started. Thanks again, for the info. I found it funny that you left hubby in the car, with a blanket and tea. Read about the metabolite training month. Sounds brutal. Glad you're back, we're all missing Roz. Haven't done my workout today. Will get to it later. Have a great day everyone!

Karen, thanks. I broke down and talked to my pharmacist who thinks its from doing RWH and being dehydrated. He recommended lysine. And salt pills? Said I'm seating a ton and need to replenish the electrolytes.
Anyway. We shall see. And I agree that it may be because I was sick so recently.

Well, Justine, we are having dinner and watching a movie at his place tomorrow.
Then I have a date with one of the professors at another college. And a friend set me up on a blind date with her husbands partner. So you may have lots of news in the next couple of weeks.

Tom, I can't stay up late anymore either. My DH and I have a good group of friends that we hang out with--like literally have a party with--each week, and they are all couples who are older than us by between 10-20 years, but WE are the ones who end up going home first and calling it a night. Even though they're older than us, I call them "kids" since we seem to be the old fuddy duddies in the gang. :) Great job on lat day. Sounds like terror to me but you killed it. Congrats on the 191+ on your scale. I know getting the scale to tick up has been your goal.

Justine, what is this metabolite training? Is it your own system you're creating or did you buy a program? Sounds like something I'd really like! LOL on your hubby getting a taste of life in his 90s a little early. I love the idea of mom/daughter shopping binges. As a mom of 2 daughters, I am looking forward to times like those!

Lib, RWH is supposed to be hard. I still can't do one-handed burpees and I have (if I do say so myself) pretty darn good cardio capacity and decent strength. They just feel awkward to me and plus Cathe is much shorter than me so she always goes faster than I can. I just sub in two-handed burpees. No big deal. No shame in taking breaks. Of course, listen to your body and if you're feeling pain you've got to honor that. I'm also guilty of not drinking enough water. I hope your mysterious blisters go away. Like Justine, I am enjoying the love life updates! Glad you're having fun with it!

Karen, holy crap, you're brilliant. I've never heard of that kind of Herpes virus. You're a master in engineering, human biology, and health/fitness. Oh yeah, and math. Is there anything you don't know or can't do? Hope you've enjoyed your two days off!

Today I did GS Chest and Triceps. Tomorrow is supposed to be legs. We'll see what happens!

Karen, I'm beyond hoping to be a master of anything. Even being a jack of something seems out of reach with my non-stop mommy brain status! Ha!

Today I did Hooked on Legs Live (7/7/16). I really enjoyed the exercises, everything moved swiftly thus no dread factor, and I got a really great burn. The only thing I didn't like...yes, I actually have a Live complaint...was that Cathe walked around a lot more than usual during this workout. I guess she's gotten us spoiled because most trainers don't actually do the workout with you.

Happy Wednesday!

Well, it was a big NADA yesterday and you guessed it...leg day. I got 0 sleep Tuesday night, the big goose egg! I went downstairs at 3 and ate breakfast out of boredom. Don't know why, but I did a lot of surgeries the last couple of days and I knew no one would be in dental for a week, and I think I was thinking about any post op problems they might have. I called some of the ones I was most concerned about over the next day and they were doing great, so I felt better! Today I did shoulders and while I didn't have much zip, I slogged thru 20 sets of shoulder related stuff and 4 sets of abs, nothing heavy on presses cause it probably wasn't there anyway, but did use the same weights on my tri set series, side lat/ rear delt flys/ front raises and used my heaviest dumbbells for shrugs. Justine, you know, across the pond over here, we even get in trouble for leaving DOGS in the car, let alone HUSBANDS!!! Great work everyone, I'm off to a bank meeting in Kansas City today, and Friday we are having a family get together for my Mom's services in Arkansas. She was cremated and we tried to find a time when most of our extended family could come. We leave tomorrow morning, but I will get arm day in first....cause it is not LEGS!!! (gotta make it up...sigh!)

Tom...seriously, I'd never leave my dog in the car. No way. Far too much love and respect for HIM! Lol
Hope everything goes ok for you in Arkansas. Tough times.

Lib, I don't need to watch soap operas with all your dating news. Loving hearing about it!

Lisa, the metabolite training is just the next meso cycle in the rotation I'm doing. It's great fun, except on leg days, where my heart and lungs give up before my quads!

Karen, which RP template did you spring for? When are you starting?

Workout wise, not much to report. But yesterday ended 8 months of the most awful stress ever. Someone was prosecuting me (Lisa, I needed you!), and after 3 adjournments (from their side), the case collapsed. The judge deemed them in the wrong to even try to go to trial and awarded me all costs. Yay! I'd been at the point of maybe having to sell the house to cover lawyer/ barrister fees.....when people say 'a weight off your shoulders' I'd never realised how much it actually, physically feels like that.

So, expect me to be much jollier going forward!

RWH back shoulders and biceps.

I can't do the delt fly's on the ball or the bench, my arms are too long, and bending over that much bothers my back, so I ended up using more force to pull up. So I do a seated delt fly.

Richard and I watched SAW last night. I kept thinking, there is a really demented person to write this......but, found myself with my head on Richards shoulder often. I enjoyed the night. Oh and he signed up for a fitness challenge at work. Dinner was grilled chicken and shrimp and asparagus. Yum

Justine, I had no idea you've been going through such torture the past 8 months! I wish I could've been there to help. So glad it's over for you. AND that you got awarded fees. What a relief to be able to stay in your home, not suffer financially, and move on with life! Did your workouts help keep you sane? I bet those 2 hour workouts were a much needed mental relief. (((HUGS))) Keep me posted on your metabolite 'stuff.' I'd love to read about a sample leg workout.

Ahem, speaking of legs, TOM! You were AWOL on leg day? Oh, the shame of it! Sorry for all your stress. Lots going on at work and then your mother's funeral. Thinking of you and yours this weekend...

Karen, damn that Jeep! Car troubles are for the birds. Hope the bagel doesn't twist up your insides too much. You'll rock RP for sure.

Lib, Saw? Is that a horror movie? That is soooo out of my league. I need movies where everyone falls in love at the end and gets a cupcake. Nothing gory for me. Star Trek is about as edgy as I get. Ha! I don't do those lying down bench flyes either. It feels too awkward to me. I just do standing bent over rear delt flyes instead.

Karen, the one day you called me out on my Cathe Live obsession was the day I did something else! I had to be up and out extra early today. If it weren't for that I would've done today's Live. Next week for sure. Anyway, I did GS BSB and added a KCM Cardio Quick Fix as a finisher.

Arm day yay! Got in 22 sets, first 18, same o same o, skc/db curl, tri pushdowns/hammer curl, crossbody tri/conc curl(I dropped 10# for the last the last series), all sets in the 8-10 rep range, and I finished with....wait for it.........EZ BAR CURLS 2x12!! (granted pretty light, but couldn't have done it before)/ tri pushups 2x30. Being able to push more weight on arm day is beginning to bear fruit, I did a "guy thing" and measured my arms today and they were the same as they were at the end of STS...STOKED! Being able to bump up the dumbbells now that the tendonitis has improved is, I am sure the reason. It was a great sign that I could finish with some ez bar curls, but I will have to "curb my enthusiasm" to keep from ending up in the same situation. Lib, congrats on the scale, I tried to post that before, but it didn't go. Glad the dating is going great! Karen, hope the Jeep is a "cheap fix", we are so dependent on our transports and when they don't work it sucks! Lisa, as soon as I have more time I promise to hit the cardio....maybe 1.5 miles??? Justine, enjoy the new, less stress days, really glad that chapter is closed! Hope hubby's knee is on the mend so he can "GET OUT OF THE CAR"!! Lets make a road trip to Vermont and check up on Roz. Hope all is well Roz!!! Have a great weekend IRON SISTERS!!

Tom, so glad the elbow is better, and you can get your EZ curls in. And woo hoo on the Bicep measurement! Don't go overdoing it, though (she says, being one to overdo everything).

Lib, great scale result. That's a great milestone ticked off. I've never seen SAW. In fact, like Lisa, I've never heard of it. Perhaps it's because, like Lisa, I'm an old frump really. (Lisa, I'm always the first to go home!)

Karen, let me know when you start the templates. The first week or two are pretty easy, but weeks 3 and 4 really start to work you.

Lisa, you asked about the metabolite stuff. I do 3 upper, 2 lower and 1 total body per week. Generally the weights are about 50% 1RM, or whatever puts you in the 10-30 rep range for all the sets. The first week starts with just 2-4 sets per exercise, so it's not too tough. Each week sees the weight go up by 5%, and an extra set per exercise. So by the 4th week, you're doing 5-7 sets of everything, with about 15% more weight. The rest between sets should be only just enough to catch your breath (30secs or so). My reps tend to go down quickly (eg 20,16,12).

My lower body days have these exercises:
DB walking lunge
Close stance squat
Stiff legged Deadlift
Glute bridge
Calves

And the other day:
Deadlift
Leg curl
Squat
Front squat
Calves

Obviously once you're on week 4, it's 30-40 sets in total, with over 10!reps per set...so I'm a bit scared! Loving the burn so far, though.

Today was upper body- cable rows burned, and wide grip press just became too heavy by the third set!
I also did party rocking step!

I agree that we need to go and find Roz.
Then we need to go lift together!

Hey everybody! Hope you are all having a great weekend. I need to check-in. Yesterday was HoCo, volume 2. I'm sore, and is it possible to sweat for two days? Damn, such a dread factor. The day before that was Mark Lauren, endurance workout. I'm hoping to start RP on Monday. But, my DH is talking about a few days in St. George. That will mess up everything. When we travel, I eat. But, I love St. George. So, we shall see. I'm all for a trip to Vermont, to search for Roz. Then to GB, to hang and lift with Justine, and just because we can. Back to the states to check out Tom and Lib. Then to Idaho, to rock it with Lisa. By then, it will be Winter, we can hit Utah, and get a couple of Park City runs! Who's in? LOL!!

RWH upper body. LOVED IT!! I did better on the cardio today. Probably from all the carbs yesterday.

Went out the professor last night, turns out he is actually not teaching anymore. He is the director for the disability department at the community college. Which is fantastic! We went for a beer at the local pub. Met a young girl who of course I started up a conversation with. Turned out she is going into second grade, she spends her school year in Berlin and summers here! So very neat. So we sat and conversed with the family for some time, then went for sushi, witch we ate by a clear stream as the sunset. It was a very nice date. We had a lot to talk about.

I am hoping to get together with Richard this evening.

Hope everyone is well. I have to study. Still need a MAT score....ugh

Lib, I don't think I mentioned congrats to you on the scale. What a milestone for you and you've earned it! Beer and sushi. Sounds fun. This guy sounds really interesting, like he can make great conversation. Cool! Good luck with your studying. Those standardized tests are never fun. If I never take another one for the rest of my life, I'll be a happy camper!

Karen, okay let's add travel agent to your list of amazing skills! :) I love that plan. It would be so fun to meet all of you in real life. We could do major damage to the weight room together. Where do you stay in St George? My DH keeps insisting he wants to send me to a spa vacation in St George but we can't ever make up our mind on where to send me! Yes, it's possible to sweat for days on end. My sweat these days is smelling like a burrito (TMI?). WTH?!?! I haven't had Mexican food in ages so it makes no sense. I blame giving birth. Pretty much anything that goes weird in my body I blame on becoming a mom!!!

Tom, yay for those STS worthy arms! Huge high fives to you. Good bi/tri work for you yesterday. I have triceps push ups on the brain since I did them this morning and thought "damn, these really area hard!"

Justine, thanks for posting those leg workout templates! I love those exercises! The cardio effect must be off the charts. Do you find that you get better "results" with heavy leg weights or the endurance legs? Endurance legs are my preference. Interesting how my athletic endurance never translates to party endurance/staying out late.

Yesterday I did Get Steppin' Live (2/25/16). Today I did Low Impact Cardio Leg Blast + Ball UB Live (6/16/16)--the legs on this one are particularly tough to me for some reason. Cathe lures me into doing this one because her pants are so fancy and I want to get a pair!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.