Lifting like girls

As the only male Commando, I am proud to report that leg day has been accomplished, but at great cost!! As homage to Lisa I started with the bike, then did 8 sets of bench squats followed by 3x15 gob squats and somewhere in this sequence, MY THUTT WAS LOST! I checked the mirror, and it appeared to be there, but I couldn't feel it! Because I had been such a disappointment to my peers I planned to do a few light deads and started with 205 x 8, then, in a moment of obvious hypoxia to the brain, I decided to do 225 x5. Despite my thutt saying "DON'T DO THIS BOSS" I did 255x3, 275 x2, and singles at 300 and 320.My thutt was right,I shouldn't have, butt (pardon the pun) it felt great...sort of! I finished with 6 sets of calf raises, some barbell and some single, 2 sets of cable crunches and 2x12 dumbbell (curls for the curls) or would have been 50 years ago..lol!!

@tslop49

Hi Tom,

Somehow I came accross your post and I would like to say thank you for making laugh reading through highlighted above:D:D:D:D
I needed to laugh to keep negative thoughts off while caring for my left rotator cuff
Great workout!

Justine. the egg tossing fascinates me. Do they throw at each other or is it a distance and accuracy thing?[/QUOTE]

Lol:D
Lastly but not least, Dating is fun I agree Tom, Being smitten is FUN too:)
Take Care:)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the cuff trouble Nathalie, those are tough on w/o's. Hopefully it is healed up soon! Nagging injuries are the worst, you always want to work through them, but sometimes rest is what's needed, a tough pill to swallow for fitness enthusiasts! Hang in there and good luck!

Good morning Commandos! After blathering on about the guy in the gym, and his workout of pull-ups and push-ups. I did just that. Yesterday was upper body, pull-ups and push-ups. Set my phone for 30 minutes, and that was the workout. Towards the end, the pull-up form was ugly, and I had to use my bands, but I gotter done. Not bad upper body work! Will do this again!

Justine, I would like to know how a winner is picked for the egg throwing competition. Possibly, the person with the least amount of egg on their face?

Karen, I'm somewhat fascinated by the pull up push up guy. Why doesn't he just do that at home? Add in air squats and it's actually one of my favourite finishers.

Anyway, as to the egg throwing. There's more than one discipline. There's Russian egg roulette (one raw egg and 11 hard boiled). There's the longest throw/ catch (raw eggs, points deducted for breakages, points added for one handed catch). And there's the egg trebuchet. The egg must be launched from a trebuchet and caught. Furthest wins.
It's an hilarious day, and we raised £8,000 for charity. Not bad considering we're a village of about 40 households. We even had a spitfire fly by.

Tom, 20 sets? That's a big workout.

Yesterday was upper body, mainly delts. Today lower body. I thought my deficit deadlifts were feeling a bit tougher than last week.....I'd put an extra 10kg on by accident! Anyway, sumo squat, leg curls, back squat, calves and too-heavy deadlifts left me wanting all.the.carbs.

Take care everyone!

Anyway, as to the egg throwing. There's more than one discipline. There's Russian egg roulette (one raw egg and 11 hard boiled). There's the longest throw/ catch (raw eggs, points deducted for breakages, points added for one handed catch). And there's the egg trebuchet. The egg must be launched from a trebuchet and caught. Furthest wins.
It's an hilarious day, and we raised £8,000 for charity. Not bad considering we're a village of about 40 households. We even had a spitfire fly by
!

Justine, I'm a big fan of Midsomer Murders. (I'm a cheap date, easily amused) But I love those little villages. So charming!

Good man, Tom! You debilitated your derriere (is your thutt still screamin? WTH were you thinking with those deads, LOL!), you did some cardio, and you pounded out some chest work. Not bad at all! High fives to you. Have fun at the Arch and on all your other adventures.

Karen, nothing like gym machismo. Your workout sounded great. I'm a cheap date like you. I'd rather just get a cup of coffee and chat with my DH and then eat a home cooked dinner with some Netflix for good measure. Just have to wait for the kids to be asleep for the dinner and movie part. That's where it gets complicated since my 4 year old is a night owl who refuses sleep.

Justine, at first I read that you did "manly" delts instead of "mainly" delts today. I was going to chastise you since Commando status ascends beyond male/female but then I realized I just simply can't read. How did I ever graduate from college?!? Ha! Thanks for the details on egg throwing. You live in a generous community for sure. Who knew there were so many different egg throwing modalities? The one with the launcher reminded me of a project we had to do in high school Physics class...

Lib, love your attitude. Like Tom said, you do YOU. Your life will be exactly what it should, and it's mighty full as it is. I'm not sure there's a man out there who could keep up with you! Did you get your workout in today? Sorry about your poor sleep. That just messes with everything, doesn't it? Did you get in a picnic with your boys yet? I like your new forum pic!

Yesterday was RWH Chest, Shoulders, Tris. I hate those finisher push-ups! Today was a KCM boxing + lower body called Trim Down.

Hi Tom,

Somehow I came accross your post and I would like to say thank you for making laugh reading through highlighted above:D:D:D:D
I needed to laugh to keep negative thoughts off while caring for my left rotator cuff
Great workout!

Nathalie, sorry to hear about your injury! I hope you heal quickly and that it's not too serious. Tom's posts are always good for a laugh, feels like you've done an ab workout while reading. :)

Good Morning Commandos! Last nite I did back, son 2 is home visiting, so he lifted with me. I did 1x10 chinups ( underhand) , and it was tolerable but didn't push a second set. Next were lat pulldowns and I did 5 sets, but 2 sets were up 20# and the last, burn out set was up 10# from previous heaviest ( kid will kill me yet)!! Then we finished with 1 arm cable pulls, doing right, left then both (3 sets of these). It was less volume than usual, but the heavier weight ( had trouble keeping my thutt on the bench) , and cable stuff which was diff, seemed to work the " latties" well! Am going to do shoulders and some, gulp, legs today. Been about half crippled since my last leg day, so prob won't kill myself just some "work on the wheels"! Karen, we all know you are NOT a leg slacker , so no hypocrisy there! 30 min of pushups and pull ups sounds fierce!! Justine, quite the accomplishment for your village, y'all should be proud. Lisa, that boxing sounds like a great workout for an attorney...you guys are supposed to be " pugnacious pugilist" lol!! Lib, what's happening in our favorite "biker chick"s world? Roz, you out there? The quiet ones always scare me! I know you are up to about a 900# 3 lift total and can't bear to tell us! Hope all is well in Vermont!! Get Iron my friends, and have a great Wed!

Today was hypertrophy shoulder day, in other words...pain day!! Then I threw in a light leg day which really means I need psychological counseling as well as an EMT! I did 100 reps of strict press spread over 13 sets, not heavy but lots! Then 3x12 on side laterals,rear felt flys and front raises, and dumbbell shrugs, x40x30x22 for a grand total...drum roll please...300 freakin reps!! Then I did 4x8 on light bench squats, 115,1e5,155,175. Next were in gob squats, 3x15. While doing these I had to look down at the price sticker that was still on it. It said $93:50 and I am very sure I was NOT having that much fun!! I finished with 3 sets of barbell calf raises and 2 sets of single calf raises. All together it was over 450 reps for the day but calf raises are sort of an easy way to get a high total. I am POOPED! Off to die...have a great day all!!!

Thanks, Tom!
Justine, I was going to ask the same thing about the upper body gym guy.
Lisa, that's the problem, most are intimidated, by my independence, intelligence, (and now) or my strength. And Thanks. I usually hate pics of me, but was on a last minute conference call and it records everything. After filing it, I realized it wasn't a bad pic. So kept the pic.

I skipped strikes, then was starting super cuts on Monday and couldn't even push myself through the warm up.so I loaded up the kids and we went camping. First trip of the season (due to oldest sick and then hot and rain). I kayaked all around the cove. I think around 2.5 hours. I was SORE. By the end of it, but realized what was going on in my head. Which helped. Then I swam with the boys some, then kayaked for another 30 mins.

Then we had dinner, played a game and headed to bed........then realized my brand new single person tent has NO airflow! Ugh! It was humid and hot. I got up (it was maybe 930??) and cat napped in the hammock some.....until the squirrel started throwing bits of nuts on me. (That was funny) then some guy pulled into the park not very far from us (he drove up with no headlights on) then sat there for a bit, so I turned on the camp light, and grabbed a book. He left, only to move down the hill.

I stayed up till about 2, it finally had cooled off and I was tired enough to think I could sleep, the guy left the campground about 330, and I was wide awake by 430, as the squirrel found me again. I read until the sun came up, then swam for a bit, and hit the kayak again.
Then we had breakfast and came home and all slept for about 7 hours. Lol good thing yesterday was rest day.

Today I did Xtrain Bi's and Tri's and core two. Today is the start of seek 7!! Which means I am half way through!

We may hit the lake again, but not camp, later today.

I love hearing about everyone's workouts! I have to be honest, I don't understand a lot of it, but it's great to hear all about them, and impressive!!

Love your picture lib! No wonder the guys are queuing up I don't know how you get through a day with so little sleep. And you still work out! I'm miss grumpy if I don't get 8 hours. And 9 is preferable! Camping sounds fun though. I'd have to sleep outside (severe claustrophobia), so I'd be getting hit by the squirrel as well.

Tom, how much of that workout was father / son bravado? And 300 reps? Wow. Love that you still have price tags on equipment! I'd hate to think how much I've spent on this torture over the years. Well done on legs.

Yesterday I did upper body. My bench press has plateaued. Can something plateau if it never got going in the first place? Lol.
Today I felt weak, but for some reason my sumo squats went up ok ( must admit to liking those), and then it was front squats followed by close stance squats. They really work the outer quads. I tried glute/ham raises ( the ones where you are bent over a pad and come up to kneeling. Well.....as I said, I tried (fail). Substituted with hamstring curls, until my hammies gave up!

Lisa, funny that you thought I'd written manly delts. Would be appropriate, as it's the body part I can grow the easiest (well, apart from my waistline). I need you to encourage me back to some fun cardio. I need to make an idiot of myself on the step again.

Roz, Karen - hi!

Quickie arm day here, again went to 40s and did 5 sets of skullcrushers/ dumbbell curls, 2 sets of crossbody tri/ hammer curls and 2 sets of pushdowns/ conc curls. All dumbbell stuff in the 10 - 13 rep range. We had to leave a little earlier than we thought so we hurried it up some. Son did a little chest work and arm. stuff. He is just getting back into it, but did 255x10 close grip bench, making his ole man feel bad!! Now at Great Wolf lodge and heading to the waterpark!! Have a great Thursday Commandos!

Wow, Tom!

We had been given a couch a couple of weeks ago, and I just put it on the wall next to the door. Which meant no room for walking lunges. So I spent the morning rearranging the living room, and deep cleaning, then laundry and the kitchen, then the bathroom. ...it was finally cool as the storms moved in, so I opened the house up and plugged in some tunes, and before I knew it, three hours had passed.

So I changed, and did Xtrain Legs. I was able to do delt fly's with 10 lbs! The single arm delt raise as well. But had to drop to 8's for the single arm leaning delt raise, I was able to get 10 one ach side, and had to drop to 5's. Also on legs, I used weights on all the leg work where it was suggested. First time for every one. I was able to get all the ball roll ins with my hips up, except for the single leg roll ins. I almost got one done on those :) I did 13 chair moves, but had to go to the floor due to cramps in my hamstrings.

My booty, hamstrings, and delts are one FIRE!! Yay!! :)

And my son told me he can see muscles in my back.....when I am just standing!! What?? So he took a picture, and sure enough....there is now some curves starting to come through! Yay!!!

I am POOPED! Off to die...have a great day all!!!

Tom, I'm relieved to see that Wednesday's workout didn't kill you. I was sitting on pins and needles for your post today for assurance that you're still with us. Ha! Geez, what were you thinking? Even "light" leg days when your legs are already sore...no, no, no, thank you but no! Fun that you got to workout with your son. Did you take it easy on him? I've heard Great Wolf Lodge is loads of fun. Bet you guys were the rowdiest group there!

Lib, whoa, I am sooooooooo not a camper and you pretty much summed up why: no sleep, crazy squirrels, creepy creepers roaming around the campsite. You're such a good mom, taking your boys on all those adventures. Congrats on your advancements in XTrain Legs. Those single leg ball roll-ins will be conquered before you know it! You gave up alcohol before the 4th, what??????

Justine, I admire your admiration for sumo squats. No love for them in my household. I like reading about your workouts because you are so open to trying new things, even if it doesn't work out. You've done so many moves I've never even contemplated! I think strong delts are a beautiful look, especially in tank tops. I always admire the swimmers' physiques during the Olympics, that amazing V-shaped body from the strong shoulders and back.

Karen, Roz, HI!

I was a bad girl yesterday. It was supposed to be RWH Back Shoulders Biceps but I just couldn't contain myself. I had to do Summer 2016 Kick-Off Workout Live (6/23/16). I know I get obnoxious with my Cathe Live love fest, but I really do think I might've found a new favorite. Justine, if you still have Live, you'd love the first 30 mins of this routine. It was athletic step (a la Athletic Training) meets boxing. Today I cleaned up my act and got in RWH Back Shoulders Biceps.

Justine, I'm with you on lats. I never have a problem with lagging lats. So now it's definitely time to cut. (I know, been saying that for months) It's time to pull out the Mark Lauren, and HoCo (oh my!) and Cathe metabolic, including Cathe Live. Kinda dreading the first couple of weeks.
The gym guy, came to the gym to show off his great upper body, because he never wore a shirt. Someone must have said something about his legs, because he started wearing long sweat pants.
Nice work Tom. Enjoy the Grandkids! You always get it done, Justine. Good work. I like sumo squats too. I'm jealous of your lake time, Lib. What a refresher on a hot Summer day. Lisa, I know you love rockin' the cardio. I will give the latest Cathe Live a go. Sounds fun. Hi Roz! Hope you're having a great Summer.
Rock on ladies and gent! I know you will.

Lisa, no alcohol.....until my friend showed up at 6 lmao! I wish I had the internet speed for Cathe's live. I want your idea of being a "bad girl!!!" You swap out workOuts, I skip them :( camping only sucked because I had a new tent, it is a single person tent, and turns out it has NO airflow at all. I am not happy about it.

Today was Xtrain: Hard Strikes. Realized I was trying to talk myself out of it, so got up and did it.

Spent over an hour at the doctors with my son this am.hes still fighting tired and dizziness. Been just over four weeks now. I was thinking it was six, but doc said four. Anyway, the did another full exam, then did a complete blood work up. She's leaning towards mono still but, not 100% sure. And if it is, it should run its full course next two weeks.

Lib, you asked about delts- mine first started to pop during XTrain. My favourite thing about the series is that it works so many smaller muscle groups, delts, lats, obliques....
Lisa, I don't have Cathe live anymore. I should resubscribe, because it'd make me do more adventurous things. And they always sound so much fun. You always sound like you've had a blast working out. I suspect you're a generally very happy person anyway- always cheerful.

Tom, I need to hear more about great wolf lodge. Water park? I'm not so sure I get the concept. Lol. Anyway, good work on the air squats and push ups.

Karen, hoco? Again? You're crazy woman. I must admit to wishing I had a bit more time to fit Mark Lauren in, though. I like his suff.

Upper body today. Lots of cable stuff and tricep work. getting much better at hanging leg raises.

Tomorrow I'm off to my parents for their golden wedding celebrations. I'll see my sister for the first time in about 5 years- she and her family have just returned from Canada, where she's been living for the last 15 or so years.
I'll be working out in a hotel gym. I'm weirdly nervous!!!! What's the etiquette? Will it just be loads of ladies on treadmills, and me in the corner with a barbell? Will they laugh at my lifting belt? Will I have to wear my best workout gear? What if I fart? Better not sumo deadlift.....

I'll leave you guys with that thought!
Have a fab weekend xx

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.