What DVD blasts away the most calories?

I am fairly new to Cathe and trying to lose 10 pounds. I have been working out with Cathe about 6 days a week. I know that I need to be more careful with my diet to see my scale budge, but I am curious to see what others think are the biggest calorie burners. So far, I have been doing Hiit, IMAX2, Body Max 2, Drill Max, Cardio Core Circuit, and KPC. Any other suggestions to mix-up the cardio? I did pre-order the new Intensity DVD and I am hoping that will be perfect to help me lose a few pounds. I have also been using her Gym Style Series and Butts & Guts for toning. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Hi Rebecca,

Sounds like you have all the DVD's that you need to blast it off. I wanted to chime in because a few years ago when I wanted to loose an extra 10 pounds, I found that rotating these DVD's REALLY made it melt off.

IMAX 2, Kick , Punch, Cruch, Kick Max, and Step Jump & Pump.

I would do the Step, and Hi Lo premix on Step Jump and pump and didn't do too many weight related work outs. However, One work out that I just got myself hooked on was to do: IMAX2 all the way through , and then jump over to Cardio & Weights and do the upper body weight work with abs.

You have the right idea though,,,with Intensity I think you'll have everything you need. ( LOVE Body Max 2 as well. ) I have yet to get Intensity, cause right now I am in week 4 of doing Insanity with Shaun T, BUT , Cathe's Intensity is on my Christmas list ! Just my two cents !

Morgan

Morgan,

Thanks so much for your advice! I honestly have never used the Cardio & Weights before (even though I own it). I will definitely try to mix that in with Imax 2. Do you think I will be able to handle Insanity!? I can make it through Cathe's DVDs, but I am very intimidated by Insanity. I am not sure if I will be able to make it through, but am very intrigued. Thanks again for your support and advice!

Cardio & Weights is one of my favorite Cathe workouts. I often do the cardio premix--it is just plain FUN!

Looks like you have a good plan going! I have no idea about Insanity--I'm not the insane type. :rolleyes::eek:

Workouts that burn 700+ calories

IMAX Extreme from the Terminator

Body Max 2 in its entirity

4 Day Split Premix that includes kickbox or bootcamp plus all upper body

The Original Body Max

4 Day Split Higher Intensity Step and All Upper Body

You might want to go the Workout Manager - all of Cathe's workouts are listed - even the Premixes. I sometimes just use the Add a Workout at the Calendar to find the workouts that give you the most calorie burn!

I use all these when I want to torch a ton of calories!

And I agree - Cardio & Weights is really fun - the time just flies!

Last edited:
Morgan,

Thanks so much for your advice! I honestly have never used the Cardio & Weights before (even though I own it). I will definitely try to mix that in with Imax 2. Do you think I will be able to handle Insanity!? I can make it through Cathe's DVDs, but I am very intimidated by Insanity. I am not sure if I will be able to make it through, but am very intrigued. Thanks again for your support and advice!

Actually,,,I DO think you will be able to handle Insanity. Funny you ask this because the other day, I was telling one of the guys here that if it were not for the Cathe work outs that I have been doing, I don't think I would have had the endurance to do Insanity. I think the only reason I can get through the moves in Insanity is because I did work outs such as : IMAX2, IMAX3, Bootcamp, and some of the other 'blast' involved work outs that Cathe has. Honestly, I would not recommend Insanity to someone who has been sedentary. BUT, like I said, if you can get through Cathe's work outs, you will definately be able to push through Insanity. It's basically all drills and etc. Man, if you can get through IMAX3, you can get through anything !!! ;) I am on Recovery week now with Insanity ( not really recovery though,,the work outs are just as tough. ) Then, I head into month 2 of Insanity AND then I can get back into my Cathe rotations !! I was intimidated at first too , BUT if you like Cardio and drills and etc...you'll LOVE insanity. highly recommended !!

Morgan

I am reviving this because There have been note DVDs since this. I too am wanting to ask anyone who had a fit bit or HRM what was the biggest calorie burn DVD of Cathes? Thank you ! I know about the HIIT being that it burns throughout the day as well but I want to know the biggest DURING the work out ! Thanks! Hope someone will answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! I haven't done a lot of the workouts others have suggested but ICE Metabolic Total Body is excellent, especially if you're just beginning (although I honestly think this particular ICE DVD is more advanced than intermediate)! Afterburn is good as well but I admit that it's not my favorite; however, it will get your heart pumping and uses weights to make it more metabolic. If you enjoy HiiT you'll love Afterburn! Supercuts and Flex Train are two others that are strength plus cardio and fun to boot. I have two left feet so I avoid the step DVDs but I'm sure they give you great results too!

I wear a heart rate monitor and here are the calories I burned for some of the videos (I'm 5'7 and 140 pounds):

Flex Train: 436 calories
Supercuts: 403 calories
ICE Metabolic Total Body (with abs #1): 549 calories
Ripped with HiiT Upper Body Circuit (with abs #1): 514 calories
XTrain Cardio Leg Blast (with abs #2): 486 calories
ICE Upper Body (with abs #2): 409 calories
Afterburn Express (only 1 round of each set instead of two): 296 (double that so roughly 600 calories)
ICE Boot Camp (with abs #1): 418 calories
Total Body Trisets (Upper Body): 399 calories
Great Glutes (no floor work): 350 calories
Lean Legs & Abs with Barre: 440 calories
ICE Rock'm Sock'm: 418 calories
XTrain All Out Cardio: 384 calories

Calories burned varied but those can be used as guidelines. I'm not super fit cardio-wise (I'm more into strength training) so if you're in better cardiovascular shape you won't burn off as much as I did. My goal after the holiday weekend is to try to pull myself away from the strength videos and get back into a cardio routine. I LOVE Muscle Max, XTrain Bi's & Tri's, XTrain Chest, Back & Shoulders, High Reps, Lift it HiiT it Chest, Shoulders & Triceps, Lift it HiiT it Back, Shoulders & Biceps, Push Pull & Supersets.... OK I'll stop now LOL!

Hope some of this helps! :)

I, too, need to get back in much better aerobic shape. I notice it when I bring groceries up the hill/to home that I have lost it over the past year or so.
Great post & thanks kindly for your calorie burner recordings kathy! :)

I enjoy those well done youtube videos where the approx calorie burner count is on the corner of the screen!

You might want to go the Workout Manager - all of Cathe's workouts are listed - even the Premixes. I sometimes just use the Add a Workout at the Calendar to find the workouts that give you the most calorie burn!

I checked the workout manager and the DVDs that seem to burn the most calories/minute are the spin bike workouts. Pedal Power burns over 500 calories in just under one hour. Some DVDs burn more total calories but they are much longer (e.g. Body Max 2 burns 582 calories but is an hour and a half long). Those spin workouts are a killer so I'm not surprised! I find the 30 min. premixes are a quick way to torch the cals when I'm short on time.

Personally I try not to worry too much about calories per se but instead work at revving the ol' metabolism with weight work and metabolic work blended into my week. That way, with greater muscle mass, I'm burning more calories all the time and get some enhanced tone to the muscles. But then again, there is nothing like a good sweat fest every few days!

I agree that the length of the wkout will naturally increase calorie burn simply because you go on and on, right? I did X77 recently and burned MAJOR calories. It's a killer workout. Yes I had breaks and mods but I kept going. Another one is "Intensity" with the bonus bootcamp. I love that one. "Afterburn" premix Bonus burn is another one that burns alot. I think that premix is 1 HR 15 min..? I guess anything of that intensity level that'S about an hour will burn decent calories. I just like the way I feel after one of these.

I, too, need to get back in much better aerobic shape. I notice it when I bring groceries up the hill/to home that I have lost it over the past year or so.
Great post & thanks kindly for your calorie burner recordings kathy! :)

I enjoy those well done youtube videos where the approx calorie burner count is on the corner of the screen!

Elsie,

You're welcome! I love doing intense workouts also but need to get back in that "mode," if you know what I mean! And I agree that calories aren't the only measurement to watch; as long as what you're doing is metabolic that boosts everything! I tend to get anal counting calories and ironically lose weight when I don't bother with it. Whatever works! :)

I checked the workout manager and the DVDs that seem to burn the most calories/minute are the spin bike workouts. Pedal Power burns over 500 calories in just under one hour. Some DVDs burn more total calories but they are much longer (e.g. Body Max 2 burns 582 calories but is an hour and a half long). Those spin workouts are a killer so I'm not surprised! I find the 30 min. premixes are a quick way to torch the cals when I'm short on time.

I second Jane -- when controlling for time, spinning registers a really high calorie burn on my Polar A300. I also find that any workouts that are heavy on squat overhead presses (where you're holding weights at your shoulders, squatting and then pushing the weights above your head as you come out of the squat) tend to be very efficient calorie burners.

As for step workouts, Intensity and IMAX2 and IMAX3 have been pretty effective.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.