Playing Cathe Download directly from an External HDD hard drive

Hi Everyone,

I have a question with hope anyone with the most updated technology knowledge will help.

At the end of this year, I will back up, and sort all my dvd's workout in an external Hdd hard drive.
Has anyone been successful backing up all their files --- Downloads and dvds onto an external hard and been able to play them directly connecting the device to the tv using a hdmi cable?

Any advice , please post on here.

Admin please help!

Kind Regards,:):)

Last edited:
I do this, and ended up buying a media player (the cheapest one I could fine on amazon) and playing through the USB. My blu-ray player doesn't play videos through its USB port, just pictures. I do know from reading that the hard drive needs to have external power for newer blu-ray players to work. I think only newer TV's will work for direct playing. I'd test to see if the TV will play an mp4 with a flash USB drive. One note, there is more pixelation on the purchased downloads than on my laptop screen. There might be ways to improve that, but simple stuff didn't help.

I do this, and ended up buying a media player (the cheapest one I could fine on amazon) and playing through the USB. My blu-ray player doesn't play videos through its USB port, just pictures. I do know from reading that the hard drive needs to have external power for newer blu-ray players to work. I think only newer TV's will work for direct playing. I'd test to see if the TV will play an mp4 with a flash USB drive. One note, there is more pixelation on the purchased downloads than on my laptop screen. There might be ways to improve that, but simple stuff didn't help.

Thanks for replying. Would you mind posting the link from amazon with regards to the media player?
As to new TV directly playing from USB drive, this is still a grey area for me. I have a flat lg tv dated about a year
which does not play my movie file.:) Hope someone else chimes in.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.