Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/1

Deb, I kept thinking that there was not much difference in the feel of the medium blue tubing and the heavy red. I realized later that the blue was shorter than the red. I think that is why the feel was the same.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
good morning all.
Deb, welcome John to the 10 yr plan ...with me ! I love knowing I won't need to repeat for that long.
numbness..it's not arthritis it's pressure on the ulnar nerve. that's what glove padding is intended to prevent. I've always been bothered by it seems it just goes with the territory for me. I've had at least 4 bikes over many years, and every single one gave me numb hands, with gloves, handle bar pads, etc. I've tried all kinds of positioning but road biking with dropped bars is the issue. If I sit more upright like on a mt bike, it's less troublesome. I probably won't do 100 mile rides like Josie.
gathering is for aunt betty she passed away a few weeks ago but it was long expected and they scheduled this for after her oldest son was back from vacation. she is being buried near where she lived, near us, so none of this got on the ":schedule" immediately. there will only be 7 or so people.
I can't imagine not needing a car. not for me. seattle is getting like that, so congested there's not room for cars anymore. so I just avoid going there!. too damn many people. become a completely obnoxious place with panhandlers, homeless, people everywhere. homeless camps under the freeway bridges. somehow seattle lost control of the problem. many reasons for it, known and unknown.

another big fan of Janis too, so sad that drugs and alcohol are such a problem for so many performers. we lost so many too soon.
I am fine this morning so I guess all my biking and garden work is maintaining things pretty well. nonetheless, I need to get back on a regular schedule.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did both low impact hiit workouts from RWH (50:08). I think these are more advanced than the Sweat workouts--or at least I felt more challenged this morning.

Deb, my other tubing that broke was blue as well, but I don't recall it being as stiff. Maybe this new one will get stretchy with use. We are going out to the Thai place for sushi on Mother's Day. My sons sent me flowers, which is nice, since nothing is blooming yet on our place. Talk about a slow spring! My primary care doctor said 10 years for me, but my gastroenterologist insists on 5. I heard today that the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer is medical errors. Flabbergasting! This was on Morning Joe. The doctor on there said that you should just try not to get sick so that you are not at the mercy of the medical establishment. No kidding! The Allmann Brothers were great.

Diane Sue, I bet you will have a big family gathering on Sunday. Is that also your rest day?

Josie, that is a lot of miles, but you are almost ready for the June ride. Where exactly do you start the race?

Valerie, yes, drugs and alcohol really killed some of them very young--Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Jim Morrison were all 27 when they died. At least Prince was 57--a ripe old age by comparison.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Today I did the Low Impact series Low Impact Challenge Extreme Mix, 72 minutes, 563 calories. Today my youngest grandson turns two. We are having his birthday party this evening at my daughter's in the country so he can see the cows :) He loves cows. All books and things with cows. They are having pizza so I am bringing salad. I have a feeling between tonight and Sunday it will be a bit hard to stay on track. My daughter is bringing enchiladas Sunday for mother's day dinner. I do love enchiladas :D.

Valerie, I had problems with numbness and my ulna nerve once. I went to the doctor and they gave me valium ??:rolleyes: I was having a hard time sleeping at night. When I filled the prescription I asked for only 6 pills and they looked at me like I had lost my mind but they went ahead and did as I requested. I think I took 3 just so I could get some sleep. It let up after awhile and I am not sure what was causing it.

Lynda, the Ripped with Hiit Low Impact workouts are definitely more intense to me than the live Crush it. Since the Ice workouts are more intermediate I would think that they would be a bit lighter. I noticed on Crush it they used a bit lighter weights than they do on RWH. I like putting both of the RWH low impact together. Yes, everyone is coming to my house Sunday afternoon :D I had heard that about medical error. Even my daughter that is in medicine doesn't trust everyone. My doctor missed her daughter's impending kidney failure problem. They came near to losing her by the time my daughter caught it and ran her to the hospital. She also missed her other daughter's anemia. My daughter read the lab reports and took her to her best friends husband (doctor) . The only reason I haven't changed yet is soon I will have to switch insurance and I seriously don't want to have a doctor that is not close. I probably will give in eventually. I try to read up on stuff when I am experiencing something problematic and then decide if I really have to go to the doctor. If I can work it out myself without going in and have someone give me pills and send me out the door, I will do it. I miss the doctor I had in the same office that left. Her husband wanted to farm . She was always attentive and tried to work through things without drugs. She was also interested in fitness. I think that that insurance companies are putting out new guidelines to not have so many tests done. It saves their pocket book. Pap tests less often, longer periods between things like the pneumonia shot, I guess longer time between colonoscopy's. I know mine told me a couple of years ago that it was 5 years but I bet it has changed all over.

Good evening ladies,

It has been a few days since I posted. Been keeping up with the SB Spring Challenge plus adding on when needed. Today is a rest day.

Deb...funny about your treadmill. I know how much you love yours. About 10 years ago I use to love running on the TM and slowly through the years I have just stopped using it. When I do use it I love it but it is not my go to. I know Nicholas would use it every day. So it will be well loved. Cardio Core Circuit Live is still one of my favorites. Funny how one day a workout is really doable then the next time it is more challenging. Glad John's colonoscopy went well.

Lynda...Bob is a huge Stones fan. Always needs to see them when they come to the area. I am the same way...always grab a heavy weight. I have large hands for my size but still find it uncomfortable to hold two weights in one hand. My Son's Capstone project was amazing. He produced a documentary on his lifestyle of Straight Edge. Never thought he would graduate from highschool as he was not into the work at all. Yet now he is always on the Dean's list (which is huge for him) and will have all his credits by the Fall. I am such a proud mom. Yes I agree the low impact RHW are a little tougher.

Judy...Bob saw Zeppelin in Maryland when he was living in DC. Lived there for about 20 years. It was one tour and he went to all four shows! Do not know of any band now a days that can sell out 4 days of shows. Have you tried the SB sculpting workout where Tina uses the ankle weights? I did this the other day plus the thigh and seat work from her new DVD. Used 1.5 ankle weights for everything other than the pretzel. My legs were on fire when done.

Valerie...I am on the 10 year plan too! Hope I remember to have it done when the 10 years get here. I watched the PBS special the other on Janis Joplin. I remember when she passed. My older brother was so distraught and played her music all day long. The PBS show was very sad. She was a troubled girl looking for acceptance. Drugs did her in. I did not realize that she recorded Bobby McGee just 3 days before she died. Her last album Pearl was released posthumously.

Diane Sue...you amaze me with your workouts and weights used. Good for you! I have the 21d extreme workouts. We have done a few at lunch but are unable to now due to not having heavy enough weights. At one time we did but we do not have enough to go around and even if we did we do not have the storage for them. We now have been doing a lot of band work and high reps with light weights. The 21dx are great and we all liked them. Enjoy your grandson!

Caitlin...Rockout is great. I love kickboxing workouts. I always feel so strong afterwards! I am looking forward to doing Cathe's most recent live workout tomorrow - Quik Fix Kickboxing and 100rep, Step & Weights. Looks like it was a lot of fun and full of variety.

Josie...what a great way to celebrate your brothers birthday. Here's to you having a great ride!

Have a good night all!!!!

Good morning & Happy Saturday,

No workout yesterday but I did get some yard work done so I will count that as a workout.

Diane Sue, I have tried the blue tubing before, maybe I just need to stretch it out a bit. What I did the other day was just substitute the green band for the tubing. It worked ok. Take a day off and enjoy the Enchiladas!

Valerie, oh...I see about the bike, it's the position your hands are in...I had a 10 speed (its still in the garage) that was one that you had to be completely bent over to ride. When we got our new bikes recently, I decided to get one where you sit straight up. It is so much more comfortable. I knew that a lot of people from California decided to move to Seattle, I guess that is what happens when it gets to be way too many. I thought the cost of living there would make it harder to live there so only those that had the means would go. Maybe the ones that could not make it are now homeless or do homeless people drift to there too?

Lynda, A nice dinner and you are right, spring is so late, I bet the flowers look great. My niece decided to get an epidural to ease the pain of the herniated disk she was just diagnosed with. I let her know that when I got mine, it did Nothing for the pain and they are dangerous. Well she ended up in the hospital twice now, with horrific headaches, numbness in her other leg and foot....apparently there was a problem with the procedure and she has leaking spinal fluid...or something like that. They have done 2 blood patches to stop the leaking. She is home now but still cannot work or do much of anything. So, yes Morning Joe is right!

Lori, good for you for doing that SB challenge! It is a tough workout, and I cannot imagine using ankle weights with those.

Hi to Judy, Josie & Catlin,

Today is a party for my uncle's ( the one in the nursing home) 85th birthday.

Have a great rest of the weekend, and Happy Mother's Day!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did 4 DS Kickbox with Lower Body and Core and SB 10 minute shoulder and 6 minute hip opener.

Deb-I'm sorry about your niece. I hope she feels better soon. We don't have any special plans this weekend.

Valerie-I have the same problem with my hands on the bike. I've tried all kinds of gloves, but haven't found one that helps much. It is better on a mountain bike.

Lynda-I'm not surprised to hear that medical errors are a leading cause of death. Not only that, but this case of a doctor "who administered almost three thousand unneeded chemo treatments":

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detroit-cancer-doctor-wept-uncontrollably-during-sentencing/

I will get a second opinion if a doctor ever tries to diagnose me or wants to do some kind of surgery on me. I do trust our primary doctor, but I'm afraid that there are some doctors out there who aren't trustworthy or competent.

Caitlin-Great workouts this week! I hope you have a nice weekend too.

Diane Sue-That is scary about the doctor missing kidney failure and anemia. It is hard to find a doctor who is into fitness and who doesn't over prescribe pills. I go in for physicals and all of the recommended screenings but I probably wouldn't take their advice on diet or exercise.
Thanks for the link on the collagen. I am thinking about ordering this.

Lori-Wow, that is amazing that Zeppelin sold out 4 days of shows. You are right, I don't think there is any band who could do that now.
I haven't tried the SB sculpting workout yet. I'll look it up and add it to my favorites so I can try it next week. This week I did her 10 minute shoulder workout, with no weight. Kind of like physical therapy for my shoulder. I think I will be doing this one regularly for a while. I also did her 6 minute hip opener. I love that one!

Josie-Have a great ride!

Judy

Judy...that hip opener looks great! Going to do this at the end of today's workout. Going to do her 100th Live from Thursday. Looks like a lot of fun!

Good morning.. yesterday we did a 3 hr 15 min mt bike ride. not intense for the whole time of course, but we are looking at the trails we haven't tried yet. not all are workable. some too steep, some overgrown with nettle. might be OK for horseback riders but the nettle is misery on a bike. gets as tall as I am. I ran the chain ring into the back of my right calf getting off and have a big bloody gash. when your legs are pumped up from riding even a small ding is quite bloody. nothing serious but messy.

Deb, I don't mind sitting upright on a mt bike. you don't sit firmly on the seat, almost constant posture changes. on a road bike though, if I'm upright the misery is more on the "sit bones" and a little less on the hands. so I balance one sore area against the other.
Judy I probably have a potential carpal tunnel thing because my hands get numb from other things but not enough of an issue to think about surgery. sometimes I think glove padding helps, other times I don't. sometimes one hand is more of a problem but it's inconsistent. as soon as the pressure is relieved, it's fine. my mt bike gloves have almost no padding..so go figure...

A lot of people from everywhere decided to move to Seattle. it's unrecognizable from when I came in the '70's. real estate is insane. median home price $650,000. multi million dollar homes everywhere. traffic is beyond horrible. the geography makes it impossible to add more roads or lanes. I avoid Seattle as much as possible now and only drive thru when we have to. a lot of affordable housing has been mowed down by developers and yes, contributed to the homeless problems. there are an incredible number of very visible homeless camps many right by the freeways and under bridges that help people stay out of the rain. tent cities. I don't know what the answer is, but it's out of control here.

and today we are getting a visit from the Donald . . he's going to Spokane first, then to a little town near the Canadian border called Lynden. We are having a presidential primary but it's kind of meaningless now. about 5 R's on the ballot, and both Bernie and HRC but we are a caucus state so the primary doesn't even count. totally nuts. a lot of things in politics make no sense.

I have a red band and a black one. the black one has smaller handles and is easier to use. also a bunch of therabands. I like the bands with uncomplicated handles. my red one has big plastic hoops that are awkward.

ETA Lori someone will probably remind you when you approach the 10 year mark, unless you've totally switched out doctor and clinic. Medical records are supposed to follow you but I don't know how well that works. I'm not sure if there's a cut off age where they stop recommending scoping? If you had any positive findings thru the years, then probably not.... but if your screening was always negative, I wonder if they stop pushing for repeat screening.

ETA again to say we did a 25 mile road ride this morning. tomorrow is a day off riding. m

Last edited:
Today I did 21 Day Fix Extreme Dirty 30 from one of my Chisel dvds, 33 minutes, 185 calories. I followed this with Kelly Coffey's Strength and Stamina workout #1 with no cardio leg blasts mix, 38 minutes, 194 calories. Workout 71 minutes, calories burned, 374 calories. I spen 35 minutes when I was done doing foam rolling and Strong knees calf work with the stretch segment. I was always a bit disappointed in this knee workout because it is basically the same general stretches from other workouts. It has a lot of information and stuff that would be great for someone who had not done workouts before and needed help with their knees. When I had the knee surgery I had purchased this one and Yoga Tune Up series knee dvd. I much prefer the Yoga Tune up dvd.
Dirty 30 was all upper lower work segments 3 rounds each exercise pair is done for 1 minute
rnd 1 curtsy lunge/half moon light weight I used 8#
squat shoulder press 8#
repeat
rnd 2
heavy push up renegade row 10's#
side lunge sword pull 10# first time then 8#
repeat
rnd 3 single leg squat /upright row 8's # set 1 10's set 2
lunge bicep hammer curl rest then repeat lunge, bicep, hammer curl
Bonus Core plank knee I and across with opposing arm pull through30 seconds left then 30 seconds right

Strength and Stamina each exercise pair is done 3 sets followed by a kettlebell swing segment
w/up then halos with the kettlebell
reverse pec deck 10# pair 12 reps
goblet squat set 1 15's# then I just used a 20# kettlebell for the other two sets
20# double arm kettlebell swings
biceps supinating curl 15# each hand 12 reps
reverse lunge front lunch 1 set x 15's; 2 sets by 12's
20# kettlebell 1 arm swings
shoulders overhead press 12 reps 12# dumbbells all 3 sets
deadlift 15's 12 reps 3 sets
kettlebell figure 8
triceps overhead extension balance on one foot I used a 20# kettlebell instead of dumbbell
side lunge pass dumbbell under leg (figure 8) 15#
3 sets
kettlebell alternating swings
mat chest press alternating 15#12 reps 3rd set double press add on
hip lifts 15# pair 12 reps
3 sets

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.