Cardio with a strained/fractured toe?

janeybz

Cathlete
Hello everyone,
Last Monday, I hurt my toe really badly. My 16-year old son and I were messing around, he picked me up and dropped me. I don't know if he stepped on my toe, or if I jammed it into the bookcase.... Whatever... it hurts really bad whenever I put weight on it. (It's the middle toe) and my foot swells up when I'm on my feet for a while (which is a lot. Who has time to sit around with her foot elevated? ) Any ideas on what I can do for cardio? I haven't been doing any cardio since Monday morning- I've been doing upper body weights and some legs (floor work, squats - just no lunges or calves). I want to get sweaty! I have lots of Cathe dvds.
Thanks!

Janey b

What were you two up to? :)

If it is indeed, fractured, stay off of altogether. Take several days of a cardio free time. Otherwise, perhaps spin/cycle or try a seated cardio like folks with limited mobility, ms, wheelchair fitness, seniors etc. like to do.

Do you have a spin or stationary bicycle? That's the only Cathe ones that come to mind for cardio when having to stay off the feet.

Cardio boxing with weighted gloves, obviously w/no impact or pivoting, focusing on power in the punches.

Core work. Core Max will make you sweat! ;)

Heal up and take care.

Lisa
Of course!! :) I completely forgot about mentioning the core work in Hard Strikes that also works the shoulders etc. with weights on the floor. Those are tough and make me sweat!!

Hi Janey, I recently have had to go a low or less impact route. I find for cardio I can do kickboxing/boxing workouts such as Rockout Knockout and Hardstrikes but I just don't jump and modify footwork that can be painful. I may not breathe quite as heavily if it was more high impact but it is still effective. That being said, if you are a lap swimmer and live near a pool, swimming is an excellent choice. It once helped my recover from a broken tailbone (an injury that lasted for years and still can come back and haunt me). Maybe you can take the opportunity to really work on upper body and core. Cathe has tons of excellent choices and lifting heavy weights can definitely make you sweat and breathe hard. Best wishes in your recovery and remember that sometimes rest is the best way to heal although it may try your patience.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.