Slow & heavy or Push Pull??

tlc93

Cathlete
I'm wondering what everyone prefers between these 2 wkouts. I know they are different but (amazingly) I don't have either of these. So please post which one you like and why. Go on.....enable away!

Interesting, my faves currently are Slow & Heavy and Supersets from the Push Pull workout, so I wouldn't be able to choose here. lol. They are different enough to just appreciate the use of both of them.
Wow, I am sure helpful around here!! ;) Sorry.

Slow and Heavy is what I go to when I want to get stronger. I can do all the other weight stuff and not move up with my weights size. I do the slow and heavy for a few week and I'm lifting heavier with gyms style and others.

Push Pull/superrsets are weight workouts I get out after being sick or not working out for a while and need to ramp back up kwim. They are both great total body but they are imo intermediate to me . I heavy up on them and still don't get the same workout as I do with STS total body

I appreciate any input! I don't like wasting my precious workout time or money! I go by reviews and comparisons. Thanks for chiming in.

I am in with you! Time is too precious:):)

Push and pull versus Slow and Heavy. It depend on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an intermediate
lifting program, go for Push and pull/superset. I agree with Cafelattee review above.

That being said if you are into lifting and are passionate about it, it is worth owning both cause you need to
challenge your muscle in various way putting training methods into practice:

• Slow and Heavy is honestly exhausting and help in building the ability to lift heavy while keeping your
muscles under constant tension. The ability to keep your muscles under five, ten second more help in getting stronger.

• Superset and push and pull are both two different training method worth having for anyone into lifting.
Both are part of fundamental principles of lifting. You can not go wrong with cathe's lifting program:):)
Check out the daily deal;);)

HTH

Last edited:
If I could only choose one of the two, I would go for S&H. I feel like you get more bang for your buck and it's probably one of Cathe's most unique weight lifting DVDs because of her focus on the slower tempo in lifting. This series offers the potential to challenge yourself and make observable strength gains more so than the PP/SS workouts.

Lisa

Thanks everyone. I have most of Cathes workouts but not these 2. I like the idea of Slow & heavy specifically because it's different from many other strength type of wkouts. I don't think I would do well with high repetitions due to the dread PLUS I'm just not great at "toning only" kind of wkouts. I'm a cardio junkie. I enjoy metabolic types but you can't really do them everyday. In slow and heavy, is the lower body hit pretty good? I like that!!!

Get both :) I love S&H, but don't reach for it very often. Superset and push and pull are both fun with lots of premixes.

Thanks everyone. I have most of Cathes workouts but not these 2. I like the idea of Slow & heavy specifically because it's different from many other strength type of wkouts. I don't think I would do well with high repetitions due to the dread PLUS I'm just not great at "toning only" kind of wkouts. I'm a cardio junkie. I enjoy metabolic types but you can't really do them everyday. In slow and heavy, is the lower body hit pretty good? I like that!!!

Slow and Heavy hits your lower body really good :)

Belinda you're killing me! Too frigging funny! Aren't we discussing DVD addiction on a different thread?! You Crack me up! The ridiculous and mildly sad thing is.....I probably WILL end up with both!

Lisa hits the nail on the head. Of all these DVDs, only S&H is completely unique. PP and SS are reduplicated elsewhere, in many other Cathe weight training DVDs. If you need a 'come back to exercise' DVD, you can basically do any weight lifting DVD of Cathe's and just lighten the weights.

Only S&H gives you that slow-mo approach, that 'time under tension' that will build strength without bulk, that focusses so uniquely on nailing your form and gives you the time to think about it and visualize it while you lift. Your upper body will be satisfied by this workout. It leaves no stone unturned. Trembling muscles coming your way. I am an ectomorph on the upper body: S&H works beautifully for hard-gainers.

I have never seen the increases in strength that S&H gives me with any other weight training program or DVD of Cathe's.

Save SS/PP for another time: S&H is THE investment.

Clare

VARIETY is good in training. Please let us know which one you end up adding to your collection.
Please keep us updated:)

Agreed that S&H is unique and awesome. Major pump from increased time under tension.

Clare, IIRC from another thread, you did all 3 S&H workouts back-to-back 3x a week for a while... or was that someone else? It would take a lot of time but gains for miles guaranteed! ;)

I love S&H lower body. It's a great way to go heavy without a squat rack.

Agreed that S&H is unique and awesome. Major pump from increased time under tension.

Clare, IIRC from another thread, you did all 3 S&H workouts back-to-back 3x a week for a while... or was that someone else? It would take a lot of time but gains for miles guaranteed! ;)

I love S&H lower body. It's a great way to go heavy without a squat rack.

Yep! That was me! Boy was I focussed...

Clare

S&H, definitely. I don't have Push/Pull, and didn't care for Supersets, but Slow and Heavy is a real favorite. I think it's great for even just advanced beginners who have heavy enough dumbbells and a barbell (for legs). You are going slow, so you really feel every part of the move and improve your form. She shows the moves done with a 2-6 count, but varying them makes the workouts quite versatile. I've read 4-4 is very good for beginners and intermediate training, but would have to Google to find the studies. S&H Legs topped off with Gym Style Legs floor work has worked really well for me, as has working shoulders separately from the rest of the upper body.

I can't imagine doing all 3 back to back, 3 times a week, but I have done splits of Chest-Back-Triceps and Legs-Shoulders-Biceps-Abs 4x a week (Actually, one split every other day, so 4x every 8 days.) I only managed 3 weeks of it, but it gave good results, especially for chest and legs.

I can't imagine doing all 3 back to back, 3 times a week, but I have done splits of Chest-Back-Triceps and Legs-Shoulders-Biceps-Abs 4x a week (Actually, one split every other day, so 4x every 8 days.) I only managed 3 weeks of it, but it gave good results, especially for chest and legs.

I am loving slow and heavy right now:):)...I would give assisting muscles a break by not doing the 3 splits back to back (on consecutive days:):))
Mon Tri-Biceps
Wed: Legs- Shoulders Thur: chest and Back
Sat: Good solid circuit/Metabolic for example Body Max or Athletic training. You could even do STS Tot:);) This way both upper and lower are hit 2x2:);)

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with Cafelattee.
S & H is great, and I have never used it for more than 3 weeks at a time. ( After that it is boring.)
PP&SS is intermediate.
You will use them both, but for different reasons.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.