circuit and weights

vivbc

Cathlete
Hi. How do I bring circuit workouts into a rotation with strength training? Can I do the same muscles on consecutive days or do I omit that part of the circuit training? Anyone?

Hi. How do I bring circuit workouts into a rotation with strength training? Can I do the same muscles on consecutive days or do I omit that part of the circuit training? Anyone?

Hi,

I am not cathe...

The answer to question above is No...You can not efficiently work the same muscles on consecutive days.
It is not advised/recommended to do so. Why? because working muscles, strength training is about stressing
muscles and letting them rest/recover for improvement.

When you are working on consecutive days basis you are omitting the recovery part which is just as important
as the effort you put into stressing your muscle.

How to manage your circuit the following day: use very light weight. If you can plan the circuit day later on
during the week, Do so. why? even when you use light weight, you are not 100% sure you have recovered.
If you are new to lifting your recovery ability is not as efficient as of an experienced, seasoned fitness enthusiast.

HTH:)

Last edited:
Which makes circuit workouts not very valuable to me. I've stayed away from them for years, and will continue to.

Hi,

I am not cathe...

The answer to question above is No...You can not efficiently work the same muscles on consecutive days.
It is not advised/recommended to do so. Why? because working muscles, strength training is about stressing
muscles and letting them rest/recover for improvement.

When you are working on consecutive days basis you are omitting the recovery part which is just as important
as the effort you put into stressing your muscle.

How to manage your circuit the following day: use very light weight. If you can plan the circuit day later on
during the week, Do so. why? even when you use light weight, you are not 100% sure you have recovered.
If you are new to lifting your recovery ability is not as efficient as of an experienced, seasoned fitness enthusiast.

HTH:)

There are a few ways I love using circuit workouts.

One is when I am between weight rotations and I am looking to just shock my system with something entirely different for a week (or two) before starting up another solid weight training rotation. If this were the case I would finish up my weight rotation on a Friday and then I would do all circuit workouts every other day for the next one to two weeks before starting up my next solid weight training rotation. For example:

Mon...Body Max 2
Wed...Step Jump and Pump
Friday...Drill Max
Sunday...Bootcamp
Then start the following Monday with a solid cardio workout before hitting the weights again on Tuesday. If you were going to do circuit workouts for two weeks, you could do a circuit on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun/Tues/Thurs/Sat and then begin with solid weights again on the upcoming Monday.

Another way I like to use circuits is if I am trying to keep my metabolism burning body fat efficiently and toning muscle efficiently without having to commit to excessive jumping. Generally speaking circuit workouts mix weights with cardio and sometimes just mix weights up in a compound fashion to keep the heart rate high and in the training zone. In this way, circuit workouts allow you to burn body fat without having to do excessive jumping.

A third way I like to use circuit workouts is as a "finisher" for my week of solid weight training. For example if I lifted Upper Body Monday, Lower Body Tuesday and Upper Body Wednesday then on Friday I like to do a circuit workout to keep my muscles & metabolism stimulated through a lighter and faster weight workout without diminishing or interfering with my solid weight workout earlier in the week. This additionally provides nice variety to my training week. Always keep that body guessing for best results!

One is when I am between weight rotations and I am looking to just shock my system with something entirely different for a week (or two) before starting up another solid weight training rotation. If this were the case I would finish up my weight rotation on a Friday and then I would do all circuit workouts every other day for the next one to two weeks before starting up my next solid weight training rotation. For example:

Mon...Body Max 2
Wed...Step Jump and Pump
Friday...Drill Max
Sunday...Bootcamp
Then start the following Monday with a solid cardio workout before hitting the weights again on Tuesday. If you were going to do circuit workouts for two weeks, you could do a circuit on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun/Tues/Thurs/Sat and then begin with solid weights again on the upcoming Monday.

Another way I like to use circuits is if I am trying to keep my metabolism burning body fat efficiently and toning muscle efficiently without having to commit to excessive jumping. Generally speaking circuit workouts mix weights with cardio and sometimes just mix weights up in a compound fashion to keep the heart rate high and in the training zone. In this way, circuit workouts allow you to burn body fat without having to do excessive jumping.

A third way I like to use circuit workouts is as a "finisher" for my week of solid weight training. For example if I lifted Upper Body Monday, Lower Body Tuesday and Upper Body Wednesday then on Friday I like to do a circuit workout to keep my muscles & metabolism stimulated through a lighter and faster weight workout without diminishing or interfering with my solid weight workout earlier in the week. This additionally provides nice variety to my training week. Always keep that body guessing for best results!

So glad you replied to this one. You have just given me an idea on how to bring more fun cycling meso3 and circuits.:):)
I will do the option 1. Circuits are fun and intense:p:p.

Thanks Cathe:)

Mon...Body Max 2
Wed...Step Jump and Pump
Friday...Drill Max
Sunday...Bootcamp

Thanks you so much for the clarity. I have bought the pre-sale packages for years, and have many circuit workouts, but they've never hit the dvd player before. Now I can use them. I should have asked sooner.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.