"Old Lady Legs" (no offense meant)

Hi, I'm soon to be 63 and slightly overweight but I've found that working out with Cathe's x-train and low impact series have been great for my legs actually better than working out with heavy weights. Of course diet makes a big difference too. I do eat clean most of the time.
I wouldn't necessarily say that this is post is about making or not making peace. Rather, I wanted to know an honest opinion of whether or not these changes in my legs are more permanent b/c of my age or if I could realistically get some decent, visual improvement. I wanted to hear about some of the experiences ladies with these type of legs concerns have had and if improvements were made, how often and how hard did you have to work at it, and how long it took to see some improvements in this stubborn area. I have accepted that this short, stocky frame of mine will never have "long lean muscles" no matter how long and hard I do TA or barre workouts. But, maybe some real leg aesthetic leg improvements are possible (??) I certainly do appreciate all the positivity about body awareness don't misunderstand this post! Thanks again ladies!!
I'm soon to be 63. I'm 5'1" and slightly overweight. I have found that working out with Low impact and x train workout have really made a difference in my legs. So I'd say it's never too late to see improvements.

Stacy, I just re-read your original post. First, give yourself some credit for having exercise in your life. You're in the right place! I guess the priority would be to figure out what works best for you & what you can safely handle when working out. Do you like circuit training? There are a lot of good ones out there, especially Cathe! You don't have to go full throttle either. Then when you're feeling stronger, perhaps go a few minutes longer or pick a heavier weight. I've always heard that running intervals helps the legs BUT is that for you? Only you can decide. Adding some muscle to tone a bit might help the appearance and endurance for the lower half. Maybe yoga? Diet? Second, take baby steps with the things you can. Then push yourself when you can! If I try heavier weights or longer wkouts, I typically see changes quickly, however.....I'm super critical of myself at times and I'm seeing negative aspects that no one else can!! I'm sorry to hear that this is making you sad and don't want to see you or anyone give up. Try new things too! You might discover something completely different that you fall in love with. You're young and I believe you CAN make changes. It just takes longer sometimes when you're not a young'un. Life!

I've always heard that running intervals helps the legs BUT is that for you?

I noticed a reduction of cellulite when I started doing interval walking (65% of it incline) particularly on the back of the legs. That area that Karen refers to as our Tutt could feel it good! As I mentioned earlier, rebounding/trampoline was also effective. It wasn't the reason I began although the added benefit was nice I suppose. The greatest benefit of rebounding was more openness in the feet, my legs felt a lot less "heavy/weighed down" (I sometimes feel ike I am walking with cement shoes lol) and it reduced restless legs and arms at night. I do still have cellulite though. I've always had some and have had never had any weight issues (lucky duck in that respect). I don't do the interval walking nearly as often anymore because I do not do well with the really strong sun we have been having and I have directed my training for now on other things. I am loving strength training. There's never time to do everything that interests us! In the Fall, I'll probably get back into it.

I work with a lot of older clients....knee and hip replacements....my advise to you...drink lots of water, stay out of the sun, self tan or wear leg make-up, and love the fact that your strong wonderful legs allow you to workout and do the other things you love to do.....I'm 51 and I don't have perfect legs FYI nobody does.....and I've learned to be happy! I hope you do too.

Hi Stacy,
Not to change the direction of this thread but I've been reading a lot about dry brushing for cellulite and some people swear by it. I was actually thinking of trying it myself as I too have noticed this change in my legs in the past few years which I also believe may be hormone related with peri-menopause. I hate to sound vain and focus on body image but darn it anyways I work too hard to see these wrinkles and bumps LOL! I think there's a few discussions about it on the VF forum but I'm going to try this myself and see what happens - it certainly can't hurt and also has other benefits of improving circulation/ releasing toxins etc so you never know.
Jamie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.