Another strength rotation

I was going to wait for the Workout Blender, but the chaptering in the new On Demand system makes it soooo much easier. I didn't have to click around blindly at all.

I highly recommend. GS felt like a sprint after S&H. A 2-2 count? What? And where did the rests run off to?!

Uhhh... not sure how I'm going to type this. I've got a serious case of noodle-arm. And I mean like, 20 minutes past al dente.

I just tried day one of this rotation (no cardio) -- thank you, Fitnessfreak, for this humbling experience! ;)

Ouch. I love it.
Roz

Dang! Now what is a girl to do postpartum? I was going to do RWH after I have this baby in May (and after I get medical clearance to exercise), but you are totally selling me on this rotation...and after just one day! Of course, since I will just be barely getting back into heavy lifting at that point, I'll be using 5lb dumbbells after those "warm-up" GS push-ups. Now that I think of it, maybe I should just have a snack while watching Cathe do all of those push-ups. That's an acceptable modification/substitute move, right? :p

Lisa

yep, I'm sold on this one too. I'm currently doing what I call sts&friends, and was going to extend it to 6 - 8 weeks of meso#2, but now I want to rush through and start this rotation. I must learn patience....
I love it when you guys talk doms....

Has anyone mentioned having a noodle-arm case?:D

Mine is a noodle-upper chest case LOL. Grrr:mad::mad:
Somehow I would bare longer burn on triceps or biceps but somehow the chest burn is driving mad:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Can not bear it. oh well I still have more work to do!
I know what I could aesthetically get from it. More symetry:p
Also once I have won ;-), push up will be get even more fun:):)

S&H felt (haven't done it for a while) exhausting. Now blending that with 72 push up from GS.
Well I need to found another word meaning more crazy in the dictionnary lol:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did tris today -- whew! I really had to lighten up to get to a peak contraction on those final sets of GS kickbacks.

I definitely have DOMS from yesterday's chest workout! :D

It's really interesting to see how different muscles respond to this kind of training. I generally find my tris hit failure more suddenly than, say chest (smaller muscles, I guess it makes sense). I definitely hit cannot-possibly-do-another-rep-without-resting-first failure today on many sets.

Tomorrow is back, and I often find that, with back and bis, 'failure' means my form gets lousy so I stop. (Except real isolations like concentration curls.) I'm not sure I've ever hit total, complete, and utter failure on, say, one arm rows -- I can always cheat form a little to eke out another rep. (On cross-body triceps extensions, however, I get to that arm-just-will-not-go-up failure. Ditto for chest flys.) I wonder if this is a difference between push/pull muscles?
I was going to do RWH after I have this baby in May (and after I get medical clearance to exercise), but you are totally selling me on this rotation...and after just one day! Of course, since I will just be barely getting back into heavy lifting at that point, I'll be using 5lb dumbbells after those "warm-up" GS push-ups.
Hmmm... I wonder if it might actually be a great rotation to get back into heavy lifting? I don't know -- and you're great at listening to your body for cues -- but you wouldn't have to go super heavy on any exercise and you'd still end up with your muscles totally overloaded. I have been going very heavy on the first exercises while I'm still fresh, but I don't think it's necessary. By the end, I'm lifting soup cans. Metaphorically speaking.
Extra bonus: in week #2, you get to do PUB every day! ;)
My only thought about RWH postpartum is that the high impact stuff could be tough. Also, I'm happier doing weights or more moderate cardio when I'm super tired -- but that's just me. I need some energy to do hardcore cardio.
Now that I think of it, maybe I should just have a snack while watching Cathe do all of those push-ups. That's an acceptable modification/substitute move, right?
I think if you load up tortilla chips with enough toppings you could get a decent curl going.
WAIT WAIT... is that what Cathe means by 'dips'?! What have I been doing all this time? Must stash some spinach dip in my workout room... 48 reps coming right up! :D
I'm currently doing what I call sts&friends, and was going to extend it to 6 - 8 weeks of meso#2, but now I want to rush through and start this rotation. I must learn patience....
I love it when you guys talk doms....
It's funny, I just did Meso 2 and didn't really get DOMS... maybe it's just not that different from the other training I do, I suppose. (I still love the workouts.) Working one body part a day, and working it this hard/for this long (40-60 mins of nonstop wailing on a single muscle group) is new to me, so I guess the DOMS are no surprise.
BB is one bodypart/day, right? How long are the workouts?

Oh, and the workouts are always greener, right? But this one is a real winner, for sure. I'm not itching to add in other stuff, which is rare (even 2 days in to a rotation -- ha!). Not craving cardio, either.
Somehow I would bare longer burn on triceps or biceps but somehow the chest burn is driving mad:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah, chest doms get in the way of more activities, like getting dressed! I felt the impending do(o)ms while putting on PJs last night.
DOMS of DOOM! ;) A subtitle for this rotation...

You guys have SOLD me on this rotation as well! I'm starting Meso 2, Wk 2 of STS and like Justine was thinking about extending this Meso a bit...but now I'm dying to be done with STS so I can try this out! Going to try to be patient and finish up STS, but I am excited to already have another rotation lined up. I, originally was going to go into Body Beast after STS...but now I'm excited to give this rotation a shot!

Roz - you make me laugh! Dips!!!

I AM getting DOMS from meso #2 - but I'm ignoring my 1RM and lifting so that I fail on 9 or 10 reps. Not getting any legs DOMS, just UB. But that's OK. On top of STS I do another legs w/o and another upper body w/o each week (the legs one I make sure has a cardio factor, and the UB is higher reps than Meso #2). Oh, and 1 HiiT. I certainly don't get DOMS from the higher rep stuff. And, yes, BB is one muscle group per day - I got great back and shoulder results. Less so legs. I think Cathe does the best lower body stuff.

I agree about different muscles and different types of failure. I wonder if it's because of the number of muscles used for each type of exercise? 1 arm rows probably recruit a load of different muscles, whereas kickbacks may only use triceps????

I agree about different muscles and different types of failure. I wonder if it's because of the number of muscles used for each type of exercise? 1 arm rows probably recruit a load of different muscles, whereas kickbacks may only use triceps????
Yeah, Justine, I think you're right about number of muscles that do -- or can -- be involved in an exercise. Also, the ability to generate momentum, perhaps? I imagine there are quite a few muscles involved for chest presses, but lying flat you can't really move your torso to start the motion like you can with barbell rows, one arm rows, or barbell curls.

Meso 2 legs are so intense, IMO. I really enjoyed them this last go-round.
I will insert a leg workout weekly these first two weeks -- perhaps just S&H legs, as it's only 30 mins so I could add it on to a shorter UB day. I'm really enjoying that one. Or maybe I'll go crazy and do S&H Legs then GS Legs (standing portion) -- oh, my!

Back was great! I was hesitant to skip to S&H deadlifts (as prescribed in the rotation), but ultimately I think it was a good idea. There's sooo much weighted work in a hinged/90-degree tabletop position plus two segments of supermans that I imagine my low back would have been cramping if I'd done the DLs.
That said, I love the S&H deadlifts -- the slow count really gives time to focus in on the different muscle groups involved.
I enjoyed doing both dumbbell and barbell pullovers in the same workout. My chest had something to say about that, though -- I'm still feeling the chest work from two days ago (even more than yesterday's triceps workout).

My daughter woke up before the last part of the S&H planks, so I took a short break before finishing those. Once I got back to them, she was rather insistent about wanting to nurse rightnow. Since my sports bras are nursing sports bras, I unhooked one side so she could do her thing and I could finish mine. Let me just say, I had an added challenge! But it felt kind of righteous -- sort of like a fitness version of Marianne in the iconic Delacroix painting -- doing an overhead snatch instead of holding a flag... ;)

I'll be honest, I'm scared for shoulders tomorrow. :eek:
Can't wait to hear others' thoughts on this rotation!
Roz

A one body part per week hits would be nice.
A brand new ;-) 6 ds would be fantastic:):)
It would bring a huge fun pump.
Sadly I thought that's what her update to CTX was going to be, and after full review of XTrain, I'll pass, I only really have one program that has a lot of metabolic workouts, and that's plenty for me.

Slow & Heavy though, oldie but goodie!

Sadly I thought that's what her update to CTX was going to be, and after full review of XTrain, I'll pass, I only really have one program that has a lot of metabolic workouts, and that's plenty for me.

Slow & Heavy though, oldie but goodie!

the 6ds I would like to hold in my hands would be to lift over 75% one rep max.
Not high reps. 6ds of heavy lift makes more sense IMO than 6ds of endurance.
Tons of endurance circuit meet the purpose already, from many instructors!

I'm glad to hear you are all enjoying this rotation. I can't believe people are still doing my rotations. You are all kicking major butt and i'm sure you will see results!

Have fun!
Thanks, Debbie! I just completed week two of this rotation and have been having a blast. I'm seeing great definition already. Thanks for your work in putting these rotations together -- I'll definitely be doing more in the future, especially once the Online Workout Blender comes along.
Roz

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.