Weight Gain!!

NYYFAN

Hello,

I am on the other spectrum in that I need to gain, not lose weight. Does anyone have advice on how to do it the healthy way? I am pretty active, I usually lift weights 4-5 days per week and do minimal cardio. But I am tired of all the "you're too skinny" comments...even though I feel great! I would like to gain at least 10 lbs. I would appreciate anyone's tips or advice!! Thanks!!

Hi Yankees Fan,
I understand needing to gain weight. It's tough, and sounds like you want to do it in a healthy way. Good for you!

It's hard to say without knowing anything about your diet, but I generally find a good way to add calories is to add healthy fats. While I generally find fats increase satiety over hours, they don't leave me with that oh-god-ate-too-much-must-lie-on-couch feeling. (Well, maybe fried foods, but not good fats.) Plus, some good quality olive oil makes pretty much anything better. Even vanilla ice cream (yeah, really)! Cheese is a great add-on to a meal or snack (standalone or with an apple or crudites), too. I put cheese on everything.

Also, do you include a high-glyciemic treat after your strength workouts (along with, say, a protein shake or Greek yogurt)? If not, this is a time when your muscles are primed to soak up all those sugary carbs. I think it's the one time we're sometimes told it's a good idea to indulge in sweets. Plus, it won't leave you feeling full for long, so you can follow up with a more 'normal' meal not long after.

Just a few thoughts based on my limited experience. I'm no expert.
HTH,
Roz

weight gain has a latency period. if u want gain weight then you can increase your diet. determine how much you need to gain a pound or a kilogram and its accounting for your activity level.
growth pages

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.